Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here is the deal.
I recently purchased an 09 Fisher Paragon. And have ridden it a few times and really like the bike coming from an 05 Paragon.

The new Paragon has a set of Avid Juicy 5's (White) which seem to be quite nice. Not sure about the whole white thing and how they will look after a years riding.
However.
I also have a near new 08 XTR complete set of brakes that I only used for 2 rides prior to buying the newer model of Paragon.

My question is: Do I stick with the Juicy 5's? Is there any draw backs. Problems that I dont know of with these?
Or do I put the XTR brakes on that are as new and ubber nice.
Still unsure if the XTR will be powerful enough to slow up my 200lbs adonis frame.
Is there anything that is a draw back with the XTR kit?

I'd appreciate your thoughts thanks.:thumbsup:

·
Old man on a bike
12,399 Posts
Use what you want, they're both more than enough brake for your svelte frame. WTF cares what color brakes are except interior decorators :D Pick one and sell the other or keep it for the next build. If you like Fisher you can get used to anything :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Have you read anything that says the "5s" have better stopping power than the XTR, I sure haven't.

XTR! Sell the 5s.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
BB7's are better than 5's btw.
Having owned both I totally disagree...BB7's are on/off even with SD7 levers and Flak Jacket housing. The Juicy 5's provide way more modulation and plenty of power.

I have now idea compared to XTR;s because I've never owned XTR's (have demo'd them)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah thanks guys. I'm 200lbs. Do you think the XTR's would have enough power in a 6" rotor. Or maybe a 7" in the fron tjust to make sure.

I havent heard anything really bad about the 5's but most people say they arn't that great. But again there is nothng solid to go on there which os strange?? Is it just from the older Juicys people are gathering information?

The XTR's get quite an average wrap in the review section on this website. But again it seems that some people say heaps bad about them and others rave??

It just probably comes down to personal preferance I maybe?

XTR or Juicy 5's Is there a huge weight difference anyone could shead light on?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
if they both make you stop equally as well, sell the one that will get you the biggest profit. then maybe use the cash for a more meaningful upgrade.

it's always nice to have a bike look nice, but that definitely shouldn't be a priority- all IMO of course.

enjoy- you're in a good place.
ez

·
Tripolar on most days
440 Posts
I have a set of XTR’s on one of my bikes and I have to say they are the worst brakes I have used throughout the years. On my new build I am doing right now I am going back to Avid. They are the juicy ultimate but I still think an Avid brake is better then any Shimano.

·
Orbea USA
40 Posts
Clinterous said:
Yeah thanks guys. I'm 200lbs. Do you think the XTR's would have enough power in a 6" rotor. Or maybe a 7" in the fron tjust to make sure.
In my experience, it's more important WHEN you hit your brakes, regardless of rotor size, etc., that will really make the difference.

If you make this face when you hit your brakes :eek: it's too late anyway.

And, for the record, I'm +200lbs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah some good points people.

Kardy I have just Installed the XTR's with the G2 Cleansweep rotors.
I'm not fashion concious at all. Thats why I am asking the questions, and from a performance longivety point of view.
The white brakes I think will date and look crappy when dirty used so to speak.

I'll be testing New years Day.
Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And my point about how people give mixed reviews of brakes and no real solid evidence to give such a wrap good or bad is still quite evident in these posts.

·
Tripolar on most days
440 Posts
Clinterous said:
And my point about how people give mixed reviews of brakes and no real solid evidence to give such a wrap good or bad is still quite evident in these posts.
You want good points. The first day on the bike the brakes honked so loud I'm sure people from 1 mile away could here me. Cleaned the rotors and changed the pads to organics as suggested by some here on the board and from two shops. Ride the next day they were good until they heated up then they continued to rub and making squealing sounds. Third ride after adjusting them same thing and so on….. They have about 1,000 miles on them now including two 100 mile races and they are still a constant pain in the ass. I did a ride Christmas Eve day and they got some dirt on them (dirt wtf these are for off-road riding) and they started to rub and would not retract back came home and cleaned them and they were fine. The day after Christmas I went for a ride and instantly the started grabbing and rubbing (totally cleaned) causing me to cut my ride short. I have even tried running an organic and a metallic pad combo and still the same. There's my proof.. I never had any of these problems once with Avids.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ghost Rider- Your a legend. thanks for giving us some feedback of actual problems that may or may not happen.
I'll ride these XTR's tomorrow and see how things pan out.

Thanks

·
Registered
686 Posts
Clinterous said:
Ghost Rider- Your a legend. thanks for giving us some feedback of actual problems that may or may not happen.
I'll ride these XTR's tomorrow and see how things pan out.

Thanks
Most folks that are happy with a product don't bother to review it. My XTR's have been trouble free for 4000 miles so far
Good luck with them:)

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
Have you ridden the Juicy 5's in question? If not you're selling something "new", which might be a better value than something used once or twice.

For the record I have Juicy 5's, and BB7's. Both work well. The front brake on both is a little squealy is the wet, but I've never rode w/ anyone in the wet with silent discs (especially when it's cold). I didn't have any trouble with a break in period.
Coming from V's and canti's, I prefer the feel of the BB7's, but the stopping power is similar.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.