Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a good deal on 2005 Juicy 5's for $87.99 shipped, but should I instead get the 2007 Juicy 7's for $ 149 shipped instead? :confused:

What is the main differences between them, and is it worth the extra cost for the Juicy 7?

I have BB7's right now and have been pretty happy, except for a little squeling, What can I expect with the Juicy series versus what I have already.

Thanx in advance for the help and advice.:)

Also, the 2005 Juicy 5's have polygon rotors, while the 2007 Juicy 7's have the G2 cleansweep rotors. Is that a big deal?:confused:

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
wolfbeast said:
I found a good deal on 2005 Juicy 5's for $87.99 shipped, but should I instead get the 2007 Juicy 7's for $ 149 shipped instead? :confused:

What is the main differences between them, and is it worth the extra cost for the Juicy 7?

I have BB7's right now and have been pretty happy, except for a little squeling, What can I expect with the Juicy series versus what I have already.

Thanx in advance for the help and advice.:)

Also, the 2005 Juicy 5's have polygon rotors, while the 2007 Juicy 7's have the G2 cleansweep rotors. Is that a big deal?:confused:
Ok, I just got a set of '07 Juicy 5s on my new bike, but haven't ridden them yet, so this is from what I know or have heard anyway:

The 5s are the same as 7s, except, no travel adjuster wheel on the lever, the '07 5s are silver, the 7s are dark grey ('06 were opposite).

The polygon rotors *may* be the cause of the warbling some people complain about. I think the G2 rotors are intended to fix that.(check the reviews) If you're fussy about rotor noise, you may want to get the G2s.

Also - another difference I'm fairly sure about, the '05 5s and 7s have "pinch bolt" lever mounts (one bolt) and the '07 (maybe '06 too) has the dual bolt removable clamp style. The new clamps can make removing the levers a lot easier and faster, depending on the grips you use. Where I find this especially useful is for servicing the fork, I just remove the front brake lever from the bars and pull off the lowers, without removing the caliper from the fork, nice time saver.

The deals you're comparing, makes the '05 5s pretty tempting, since performance is the same, except for the features I mentioned. If you can live without the lever adjuster, bolt-on clamps, and new rotors, go for it.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
From a performance standpoint, they are the exact same. Different colors, and the 7 has the red knob to adjust where the lever engages.

Take the time to set the brakes up right. Take the time to bed them in right. That is where a lot of the noise/stuttering issues are coming from.

If you do have problems with the polygon rotors, Avid will replace them with the G2 rotors for free. You do have to go through your LBS to get in touch with SRAM though.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
From a performance standpoint, they are the exact same. Different colors, and the 7 has the red knob to adjust where the lever engages.

Take the time to set the brakes up right. Take the time to bed them in right. That is where a lot of the noise/stuttering issues are coming from.

If you do have problems with the polygon rotors, Avid will replace them with the G2 rotors for free. You do have to go through your LBS to get in touch with SRAM though.
Avids Canadian distributer is not replacing any rotors for free. That dosn't realy surprize me because Canadian customer service has been lacking from alot of companies that have good service in the US mainly Fox.

To answer the OP's question I find the adjustment on the j7's realy nice to have so I would go with them.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Johnny Hair Boy said:
Avids Canadian distributer is not replacing any rotors for free. That dosn't realy surprize me because Canadian customer service has been lacking from alot of companies that have good service in the US mainly Fox.

To answer the OP's question I find the adjustment on the j7's realy nice to have so I would go with them.
Hmmm, I was not aware of this. I live about 20 minutes away from SRAM headquarters. So most warranty/replacement stuff shows up next day for us.

·
Registered
254 Posts
FWIW, my LBS had to really work on Avid to pry the G2's out of them to replace my polygons. They were flat out told "no" on the first try. Then they made a second run at it and was told "no" again. Three calls and much "convincing" later, Avid finally agreed to send the G2's. My LBS owner said he'll never go through it again.

So Avid obviously is "phasing out" the polygon rotor "replacement program".

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
wddamf said:
FWIW, my LBS had to really work on Avid to pry the G2's out of them to replace my polygons. They were flat out told "no" on the first try. Then they made a second run at it and was told "no" again. Three calls and much "convincing" later, Avid finally agreed to send the G2's. My LBS owner said he'll never go through it again.

So Avid obviously is "phasing out" the polygon rotor "replacement program".
gee, that's too bad. i was thinking i could maybe get a free set of rotors :p

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well, I'm not saying you CAN'T get them replaced - just don't take it as a sure thing. It's quite possible that a large volume LBS would have more stroke with Avid and the swap might sail right through. I'm nowhere near a large MTB market so we're probably viewed as small nuts in the eyes of a large corp. Just check it out before diving in - or just be prepared to drop $40'ish on a set of Hayes V6 rotors on e-bay! :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.