Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Juicy.

Caminos fade in dh type riding

There's nothing wrong with hayes mags, never has been.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
I can get a pretty good deal on a set of new Juicy 5s or El Camnios. Both will run me about the same. I've heard that people are having problems with the El Caminos (it is Hayes after all...). I test rode a set, and my primary concern was the lack of stopping power, however, magazine reviews I've seen suggest that it's the most powerful brake in the bunch, even beating out the new Juicy 7. I'm not sure if I was just on a crappy set of brakes, or if it's just a super biased magazine.

On the other hand, most everybody seems to love the Juicys (aside from the shuddering or squealing when combined with certain rotors). I also rode a set, and the feel was spot on.

So... What do you guys think? Juicy? Or El Camino? Which is going to give me the best performance and least troubles?

·
Registered
601 Posts
well, i've test-ridden a set of El Caminos, they sent me over the bars multiple times cuz they lockup really fast, and are really power, plus i was being careless... :)

but people seem to have less trouble with the Avids, so, i would say go with the Avids. plus the El Caminos lever looks very minimal and lightweight, AKA weak.

·
Registered
111 Posts
We have all seen & herd the consistant problems with Hayes even though they seem to score great ratings from the mags.
My guess the Hays are a top performer when set up right.
However for consistantly great performance go the Jucy's.
You've herd the people speak. I have jucies & they rock for downhilling.
good luck.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I've got Juicy's 5 and I'm satisfied! Though, on an especially long descends the rear brake lever tend to 'fall deeper in' (you know what I mean?) as if the brake is overheating, but maybe I can't use the front one properly or I am simply braking too much:)

Still' if I had the money I'd go for 7 to have the 'brake starting point' adjustment...

·
My arm hurts a little
1,471 Posts
sriracha said:
juicy's are where it's at.
elcaminos are juicy lookalikes not performalikes..
Dam Stright!!!! Getting Rid of My Hayes, and getting Avid 7's. No Stopping power, will start a ride with kick ass feal, will get to the bottom and they feel like Sh!T.

If it were me I would ditch the 5's and spend a extra $100. and get the 7's with the contact point adj.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
#1ORBUST said:
Dam Stright!!!! Getting Rid of My Hayes, and getting Avid 7's. No Stopping power, will start a ride with kick ass feal, will get to the bottom and they feel like Sh!T.
You should get the air out of them and quit dragging them so much.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I ride both those brakes. my el comino's came stock on my 7point. i already had some juicy 5's on my hard tail. i put my juicy's on my big bike after 2 rides. i've been riding hayes for the past 5 years and the first time i tried some juicy's i was hooked. the levers on the el camino are sort of wack too. they would be great if they had enough stopping power to use only one-finger... but they aren't. they work great on my dirt jumper though.

·
My arm hurts a little
1,471 Posts
kidwoo said:
You should get the air out of them and quit dragging them so much.
Well Duh!!! Tell me your bleed prod. I do it step by step out of the book with my Mech. buddy, works great for awhile but when the caliper auto adjus. and opens up extra space in the caliper this causes it to be filled with the fluid in the line. Witch causes a bubble witch then I have to do it all over again.

Avid has a res. so you don't have to worry and that.

And don't worry about my breaking it's all under control!!

Edit: And if it was a good system I should be able drag all over the place and it should not effect performance!!!!

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
#1ORBUST said:
Well Duh!!! Tell me your bleed prod. I do it step by step out of the book with my Mech. buddy, works great for awhile but when the caliper auto adjus. and opens up extra space in the caliper this causes it to be filled with the fluid in the line. Witch causes a bubble witch then I have to do it all over again.

Avid has a res. so you don't have to worry and that.

And don't worry about my breaking it's all under control!!
You don't seem to understand how hayes brakes work. There's a reservoir in them just like every other brake. They have a bladder that surrounds the piston that does the exact same thing as the reservoir in avids, shimanos or any other brakes for that matter. You know that little hole on the outside of the lever body? That's for expansion/contraction of that reservoir. It's a breath hole for the chamber surrounding the reservoir.

There's no way a bubble can form from in an open space in your caliper unless you have a breach somewhere. Those things are made to hold the right amount of fluid and then some if you bleed them correctly. That reservior allows displacement of whatever amount of fluid it takes to fill the line and caliper and will still have some fluid left in it. You're supposed to bleed them with the lever/hose higher than the caliper, pistons pushed in leaving no high points in the hose for air to get stuck. Your explanation of your problem makes no sense. It's something else.

Plus if you've ever bled a set of avids, you should know that bleeding hayes is cake compared to any of the juicys. If you haven't, get ready for more hassle. Juicys are more powerful but hayes mags are good brakes that when setup correctly shouldn't be changing feel between the top and bottom of your runs.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
I run Juicy 7's and am basically convinced to never run Hayes again. Juicy's are easily the best brake on the market. They have loads of power, good modulation, are very, VERY consistent, never lose power or feel wierd, and are basically maintanince free.

I suggest Juicy 5's. They're a great brakeset, and for they're price, can't be beat by anything.

·
My arm hurts a little
1,471 Posts
It has to be something with the fluid amt. We do everything you just said. Then when we put the wheel on and adj the break Contact. And the pads adj. The power just goes away. Any Sol???

I have had them prof. done and really it works great for awhile (Two rides) but then same thing.

Thanks for the info!!! Will tell my mech. buddy he is a loser!!!

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
#1ORBUST said:
It has to be something with the fluid amt. We do everything you just said. Then when we put the wheel on and adj the break Contact. And the pads adj. The power just goes away. Any Sol???

I have had them prof. done and really it works great for awhile (Two rides) but then same thing.

Thanks for the info!!! Will tell my mech. buddy he is a loser!!!
I don't know if I would go that far.
You might have a pinhole in the line somewhere. I've had something similar happen before. It may not leak but it might be letting air in to the crucial part of the system.....the hose itself.

If you have a good few rides after bleeding them and THEN they start to feel weak, it sounds like there's a hole somewhere. I replace the line first and see what that does.

I've had fluid leak from around the piston seals too but that was pretty obvious because fluid was getting on my rotors. Those things aren't that complicated so there are only a few things that can really go wrong with them.

·
My arm hurts a little
1,471 Posts
kidwoo said:
I don't know if I would go that far.
You might have a pinhole in the line somewhere. I've had something similar happen before. It may not leak but it might be letting air in to the crucial part of the system.....the hose itself.

If you have a good few rides after bleeding them and THEN they start to feel weak, it sounds like there's a hole somewhere. I replace the line first and see what that does.

I've had fluid leak from around the piston seals too but that was pretty obvious because fluid was getting on my rotors. Those things aren't that complicated so there are only a few things that can really go wrong with them.
I bet anything it was a pinhole. It's really only my rear that dose it. This weekend on shuttle up something clipped the line and tore it off the lever. Am replaceing the line tonight see if it will fix. (I bet when they put the hose to the lever the seal was not good.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.