Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been having all sorts of problems with my Hayes brakes, in order to ride had to get a new front brake and due to lack of bike funds ended with a J3 up front. My rear Hayes is still giving me grief so I got another J3 for the rear.

Checked SRAM page and it says that the J5's are DH worthy, I have a set on my XC bike and am wondering if I should install the J5's on the DH bike and the J3 on the XC bike.

Can't purchase anything else so what do you think, J5 or J3 on the Gemini?

·
Registered
208 Posts
frisky_zissou said:
They are exactly the same brake. The only difference is that juicy 5's can be removed off the handle bar without taking the grips off first.
thats not the only difference. 3s also use different fluid and heat up easier. i have 3s on my XC bike and i really dont like them compared to 5s, alot less power. the 5s and 7s are the same brake, just the 7 have the pad adjuster. yes, you should install the j5 on your dh bike, 3s are XC and 5 is dh.

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
I've tried the J3's... they're not the same brake at all.

I rode all summer at Northstar with a guy who road Juicy 5's, and he moved, and never had a problem stopping (he's a big guy, too).

The J3's are a XC brake, at best. Slap the J5's on your bike for DH/FR.... you'll be the better for it.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
DiRt DeViL said:
Is the hose on the 3s the same as on the 5s?
No. The hose on the J5 has a banjo on one end,. The J3 uses inline fittings at both ends.

The caliper casting on the J3 is cheaper. The lever no longer has the break away feature. The MC is different. The lever doesn't have the 2-piece clamp. The J5 is bled with DOT 5.1 fluid (the J3 can be too).

The J5 generally feels and performs better.

·
Registered
88 Posts
5 is stronger, because you can "flip "out the lever(the lever is not directly connected to the internal), which means that when you crash on the lever, you just need to "flip" back the lever.

But on a juicy 3, the lever is directly connected to the internal, once you crash on it, you gonna send for repair or get a new lever.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bummer, don't want to install the 3s to later remove them but if can't find a hose tomorrow guess that's the only way for now.

The banjo comes installed right? Guess that converting hoses is not an option.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ended up installing the 3s on the Gemini, couldn't find hoses locally.

Inspected my J5s (old gray color) and they're basically the same as the 3s without the break away feature, have red pads on the front and regular on the back, tomorrow will be testing them to see how they perform.

If worst comes to worst will have to get new hoses and swap brakes; well see how it goes.

5s

3s

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.