Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a long time reader 1st time poster.

I have a problem with my juicy 3's which came on my recently purchased Giant XTC 2. The front one doesn't seem to align properly with the disk and when it is applied it pushes the disk to the left.

Initially this caused the disk to rub and slowed the front wheel so I removed the wheel and made sure it was seated in the drop outs properly however it still is out of alignment although the rubbing is not so bad. The rear seems to be perfectly aligned an does not rub the disk.

I've attempted to realign the caliper but to no avail. So my questions are;

1. Are the 3's a 'twin' pot design and should both calipers come out at once?
2. Is there any way to get the caliper any further to the left (its right over in the holes)?
3. The disc has a slight warp, but nothing major, could this cause the right hand pot to retract futher and give the impression that it is futher away?

Any suggestions would be great.

As I kind of dropped out of the scene for a while my recent purchase has got me inspired and I was wondering what's changed in the world of lubrication? I still have a pot of Judy Butter and Tri Flow that I bought years ago! I was wondering what the latest and greatest is for chain lubrication? and what I should put on the shafts of my new RS Recon 351 air's?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
First, welcome to mtbr.

The Juicy is a 2 pot design meaning , there are 2 pistons, one on each side... both pistons should come out at the same time, but it is common that there is a "dominant" one...

If you had tried to recenter the caliper, you should be able to move it a little bit to the left, when the bolts that join the caliper to the PM-to-IS adapter (since you have an IS fork -Recon- , and postmount calipers -Juicy- )

You can fix the warp on the disc with a crescent wrench, pushing the warp in the opposite direction a little bit at a time (you don't need much strength), make sure you clean the wrench and rotor with isopropyl alcohol before and after... to avoid pad contamination with grease/oil.

For lubrication I prefer wax based lubes, but they keep everything clean, but wear out fast in mud.

For the fork stanchions I use silicon spray, but you can also get stanchion lube....

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Cris

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
in addition to crisillo

here's the disc brake FAQ.

I'd suggest a trip to your LBS and have them face the brake tabs and set it up right. YOu paid for it already when you bought the bike. Then apply principles from the FAQ.

Jim

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Making this perfectly clear

Ok, thanks everyone for your replies.

Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill with this? The calliper is probably offset 2-3 mm to the left, the brake appears to be working fine although the calliper 'bends' the disk across to the other one when applied. Is it worth the effort of trying to machine the mounts on the fork to fix the problem? i.e. should the disk run in the exact middle of the pads?

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Usually facing is not that critical with postmount caliper brakes.... but it is never a bad thing to do.... did you try recentering the caliper... 2-3mm shouldn't be a major issue... just loosen the adapter bolts, pull the lever and tighten with the lever still tight.... also "true" the rotor...it is not hard to do...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, as I said before the caliper is right over to the side of the holes. i.e. no more adjustment is possible that way. As far as I can see the only option is to machine the inside of the fork or machine the hub to move it over so the caliper can be centered.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
yeah... as I posted on your other thread with the pics... it seems facing the tabs will fix it... probably too much paint on the tabs... any competent bike shop should be able to do it... especially the one you bought the bike from...

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
bingo....

most shops here in Vancouver skip it unless you ask, but paint should be scraped off, and the owners of 2 shops I know both say it's a rare day that a frame and tabs are actually true enough to properly align the brake set. (unless it's a boutiue bike like Turner, Seven, Ventana, Knolly, etc etc etc)

Most shops here, if you know them, will face and centre your discs for about $10, which obviously lasts the life of the bike.

Good luck, Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.