Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I recently got my new Trek Fuel EX7 that came with Avid Juicy 3.5 hydraulic brakes, and the levers feel a bit...sticky, more so for the rear lever. If I squeeze em hard and let go, they would feel stuck a little before springing back. There's also an ever-so-slight grinding similar to an unlubed pivot joint when I move the levers.

I compared it to my bro's older Deore hydraulics, and they are silky smooth.

Functionally, the brakes work fine - still breaking in and no noise/rattle. But the inconsistent feel to the levers is so distracting. Is this normal, or does it need to be bled? I'm planning to take it to the lbs tomorrow, but would like some others' opinions!

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
biomanz said:
.... Avid Juicy 3.5 hydraulic brakes, and the levers feel a bit...sticky, more so for the rear lever. If I squeeze em hard and let go, they would feel stuck a little before springing back...
My Juicy 3.5s were great for a couple rides and then the front lever started sticking like this. It was definietly not returning the way it should and I couldn't figure it out....new to hydros myself. I tried working it in, riding around the block and nothing changed. Took it back to LBS where I bought the brakes and they did something (don't know what) and it works fine now...they didn't charge anything since I bought the brakes there.

Oh and mine were nice and smooth and quiet, just didn't return on the front brake as quick as it should have.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
CRAP, been riding in the rain and mud alot lately and now my front lever is sticking badly! Just finished bleeding front and rear brakes and put a couple drops of Tri-Flow on the rear lever to stop a squeak, but this did not help free up the front brake lever sticking!

If I pull the brake lever and then let go it kinda half returns and then gets stuck. If I pull the lever and let go completely real quick it sometimes returns all the way, but is obviously sticking as it returns....not a proper quick return to lever neutral spot.

Any suggestions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.