Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an older Judy FSX made by Specialized and it needs its bushings replaced. I can feel a slight knocking (like a loose headset) when I squeeze the front brake and rock it back and forth. With the wheel off, I can also feel the knocking in the lower legs.

I contacted Hippie Tech and they said it's not possible to replace the bushings as they are bonded to the legs and are not replaceable. Is that true? Anyone had experience with this?

I've spent a crazy amount of time getting my Klein built up and now this is my last little issue. It's definitely rideable, but a bit annoying. I also wonder if I can cause any damage with the additional play in the legs.

·
Hit The Road Cyclery
923 Posts
If Hippie-Tech says it can't be done, it most likely can't. Jerry knows his stuff and I doubt he'd steer you wrong. You could try contacting SRAM/Rock Shox directly and see if anyone in their tech support department knows: 312-664-8800

·
Registered
169 Posts
Fsx Bushings

Brian,

I put a set in one of my FSX forks a while ago. I got a set of knurled bushings from Jim H. (The Angry Asian) before he hooked up with the magazine job and left Two Wheel Tango. He had a machine to knurl the bushings to make a press fit. We traded e-mail a few times, he said he did not know it the knurl machine made it to Colorado with him and I never heard back. So... It is possible and I may have some lower bushings kicking around if you want to call TWT and see if the machine is still in the shop. PM me.

-John Y.

·
Registered
566 Posts
super_stein said:
Send Shockspital.com an e-mail. B Rose is very helpful also.
Really nice guy and conveniently located a matter of blocks from me :)

I haven't had to use him yet, however, he quoted me about $120 to rebuild a Judy FSX. Not sure about your specific questions, however.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On JJY's advice and information, I contacted Angry Asian about the job, but ended up going with B Rose at shockspital.com. I told him about the knurling technique and he said he'd definitely use that idea.

I got the lowers back on last night. I still feel a little bit of knocking when I rock the bike back and forth, but it's less than it was before I sent it in. I wonder if a little play is normal?

He apparently used the longer bushings from the SID which are stiffer.

He also had some NOS Styff Shock Bone braces in stock and sold me one for $30; it's quite nice!

On top of that he threw in a complete set of Judy elastomers for my other Judy fork and a pair of new dust boots.

In all, $108 for the job ($75, plus $30 for the brace, plus $3 return shipping).

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FYI, I contacted B about the play in the legs and he said I can send them back and he'd redo them and said his test stanchions may have been a tighter fit than mine are. With the wheel off I can feel an ever so slight knock in the right leg only. Very cool guy.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They don't seem worn out that I can see. I wonder if the Total Air carts are actually moving or something and making me think there is play in the legs. I'm planning to double check it again tomorrow. But when i drop the front end on the ground, it sort of rattles a bit and feels like a loose headset. I have another bike with a much cheaper fork and it's very solid and doesn't rattle at all.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Here is the best way to check for play to rule out the headset & brakes giving you a false positive. Pull the fork from the frame and deflate it. Compress it, grab the steerer in one hand and the lowers between your feet and one hand on the brace. Now rock the steerer & raise it up to full extension. If you feel that (loose headset slop) the bushings have play. If you are not sure about what you are feeling remove the upper from the lowers and just insert one stantion in one leg at a time and rock it & raise it up/down. If you feel play only on part of the travel zero it on it, you have a worn spot on the stantion. Bolt up a new stantion & go. -John Y.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks John. I did just that today and pretty much confirmed the right leg has some slight play in it. I'm going to send them back to B for a redo. Unfortunately, the crown is a press-in, so I'm stuck with the stanchions either way.

Looks cool though, eh?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Bryan,

Nice, the fork will live longer with boots or toss on some lizzard skins when you hit the dirt. If you run the SL Ti or hollow canti brake studs you can inject Slick Hony or Judy butter right in the bolt holes. It dumps above the bushings & below the wipers. -John Y.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks John. I thought about putting the boots back on, but it definitely looks cooler with them off. Also I'm running the total Airs, so those are fairly well sealed within themselves, but I can see how some dirt can still get in and scratch up the stanchions.

I didn't know about the direct lubing! I transferred the Ti bolts over from the original Judy Sl it came with so I'll have to see if they're hollow like that. Is that what that one hollow shaft bolt on the SL fork lower was for also?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Oh no...

Not the lower leg bolts, that would lube the the hollow space inside the dummy shaft & the cartridge shaft. It is actually the upper brace bolt that leads in to the cavity between the bushing & wiper, not the hollow brake post bolt like I remembered. Take your micro-lube gun and shoot em up. see pic -jy

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.