Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Figurerd I'd try this tread first, and sorry if there's been a discussion about this before. I searched and found nothing..
I've got a 96 Judy XC, and the stack is smoked. I pulled the elastomers out the other day and they disintegrated in my hands. I found some old Type 3 coil springs for a 98 Judy in my friend's basement and I was wondering whether they'd work in place of my elastomers?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Yes they'll work, but...

you'll have to exactly match the stack height of your old coil/elastomer stack and make sure that both forks were set up for the same travel. Back then the Judy's had an available long travel kit that pushed them from 63mm to 80mm. The kit required the replacement of the conecting rods that protrude from the bottom of the stanchions. They were different lengths for 63 and 80mm travel. So if your Judy is 63 and your budies 98 was 80mm the spring stack wouldn't be compatable. If it does work you may have to go with heavier oil in the damper most likely. The 98 is a full coil stack right? Been so long since I've worked on one... Anyway, if you are going full coil it will work the damper harder as elastomers do have some rebound damping qualities to them, they are slower to rebound than a coil. So you may find that you'll need to kick up to a 7.5w or a 10w oil in the damper cart to compensate for the increased rebound speed of the straight coil stack. All you can do is give it a try. If everything fits right it'll breath a little more life into your old Judy. I think it should work if the two forks were set up the same in the travel department. Nothing else changed, stack diameter was the same etc.

Good Dirt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.