Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Reliable its as good as any Marzocchi and is very reliable. If its what you're looking at and what you want go for it, just don't get conned out of buying it because people tell you the damping is horrible. It's designed as a budgety fork that gets the job done. I've heard people who say they love it and others who say they hate it. Overall for a freeride and all around fork its probably excellent for you.

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
im not saying its bad, im just stating that it has its limitations and thats anything that has to do with trails....mostly unless they super smooth.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
SamL3227 said:
im not saying its bad, im just stating that it has its limitations and thats anything that has to do with trails....mostly unless they super smooth.
Not necessarily. Unless he's gonna be dh racing or bombing down super technical stuff at high speeds it shouldn't be a difference large enough to where it deters him from the fork.

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
i dunno. i have a fork with the ssv damping and even a bit of trail riding is asking too much of it. it hits something and packs up and as it starts to come back down it hits something else. theres something to be said for technology...

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
SamL3227 said:
i dunno. i have a fork with the ssv damping and even a bit of trail riding is asking too much of it. it hits something and packs up and as it starts to come back down it hits something else. theres something to be said for technology...
Most certainly its cheaper technology, but I think judging from the way the question was formed and what question it was its fair to say its a fairly new person and is looking for a dh fork that will get the job done and won't let them down structurally. Performance-wise it is lacking in some areas but from my impressions of the post its probably a good fork for him.

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
im not saying that its bad. im just stating that if he wants to use if for lots of dh it just not going to be up to par. but for the price you cant get anything better thats for sure. if thats his budget then thats prolly gona be the best thing he can find. im not dissing the fork, just saying it dont work for everything.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
SamL3227 said:
im not saying that its bad. im just stating that if he wants to use if for lots of dh it just not going to be up to par. but for the price you cant get anything better thats for sure. if thats his budget then thats prolly gona be the best thing he can find. im not dissing the fork, just saying it dont work for everything.
Lol, agreed. But after some of my recent riding I've come to think that I bet it'll work for most everything, since well I found out that 4ft drops on a rigid bike aren't very hard to accomplish smoothly. :D

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
no, it has alot to do with skill. but when ur hauling down a rocky trail(only thing around where i live) your hands take a beating and if you cant keep ur front tire on the ground you cant stay in control. skill has alot to do with it but that can only take you so far. and im trying to keep up with 6in fullys so im pushing the limits of my fork way tooo far. gota switch it up.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
SamL3227 said:
no, it has alot to do with skill. but when ur hauling down a rocky trail(only thing around where i live) your hands take a beating and if you cant keep ur front tire on the ground you cant stay in control. skill has alot to do with it but that can only take you so far. and im trying to keep up with 6in fullys so im pushing the limits of my fork way tooo far. gota switch it up.
Lol, that's definitely helpful isnt it?

·
high school loser
1,313 Posts
i got an 03 jrt and its a sweet fork. i got it from price point. ive had no problems with it what so ever and, i think, is way better than the 04. i use it for downhill and its awsome.

·
Registered
606 Posts
nobody242424 said:
i got an 03 jrt and its a sweet fork. i got it from price point. ive had no problems with it what so ever and, i think, is way better than the 04. i use it for downhill and its awsome.
It's doesn't cost much to upgrade to the HSCV cart does it? You would then have a super T for a killer price!

Also, any SSV and SSVF fork can be made to handle high speed hits MUCHO MUCHO better by switching to a 3 wt fork oil. It's a night and day difference. I'm confused as to why Marzocchi doesn't tune their SSV/VF forks for higher speeds? It's no harder than making a larger damper hole and using lighter oil.

IMO, having high speed compliance is much more important than any slow speed control.

It's a conspiracy to beat people's wrists into wanting a more expensive fork! ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Its a excellent fork for someone who does not want to be let down. Although its not as great as prehaps a 66, 888 ect.. it is relieble and for the right price would be a great fork.

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
SamL3227 said:
I have to say I was impressed with my '03 doing some rocky downhills in Moab. Felt better and rode faster than the Sherman Slider on the Devinci my friend was riding. An upgrade is definetly not in the works for me, but I am going to buy an alternative for trail riding.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Andrewpalooza said:
I have to say I was impressed with my '03 doing some rocky downhills in Moab. Felt better and rode faster than the Sherman Slider on the Devinci my friend was riding. An upgrade is definetly not in the works for me, but I am going to buy an alternative for trail riding.
Interesting to hear folks say some positive dh features about it. :)

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
Interesting to hear folks say some positive dh features about it. :)
Hey, I've felt/ridden better, but I don't feel that it's holding me back much, and for my money, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

On a related note, I just got done boring out the QR20 tabs on the Jr. T to accomodate some stronger bolts than the stock equipment Marzocchi makes. Magnesium slivers all over the place, but I got to say that I made a pretty strong mod. Fits together well, and holds that axle really tightly. Much improved over the old system. :D

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Andrewpalooza said:
Hey, I've felt/ridden better, but I don't feel that it's holding me back much, and for my money, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

On a related note, I just got done boring out the QR20 tabs on the Jr. T to accomodate some stronger bolts than the stock equipment Marzocchi makes. Magnesium slivers all over the place, but I got to say that I made a pretty strong mod. Fits together well, and holds that axle really tightly. Much improved over the old system. :D
Sweet, got any pics?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.