Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Ms. Monster
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey ladies (and friends of ladies who ride),

A couple of us have been chatting to Joyride about having a women's weekend or day. We were inspired by the excellent one that Ray's puts on every year (worth a trip if you can manage it).

I know what I'd like, but what do YOU want? What would make you take the trip?

Here are my thoughts:

ESSENTIAL:
- Some time in the park for just the ladies. No hubbies, no tight jean teenage boys, just women. Ray's did this on the Friday, and it was a big confidence booster, plus it made for great camaraderie.

Would be GREAT:
- Coaches. My preference would be for something reasonably structured, so that you could pick "stations" that offered specific skills. For example: bunnyhopping, quarter punches, wheelie drops, log-overs, riding skinnies, pump track basics, beginner jumps, wheel management (e.g. advanced skinnies)... Is this too basic? Too advanced? Would you prefer something unstructured? Or just divided into skill groups (beginner, experienced, advanced) where you cover a variety of skills? Anything missing?

Would be NICE:
- Female coaches (personally, I don't really care, but some do). This could be challenging...
- Food
- Party
- Sponsorship
For the last one, what would be important? Free food? Free entry? Top level coaches? Schwag?

Would anyone go on a weekday? Would going early (9am?) on a Saturday with exclusive use of SOME of the park for SOME of the time be enough? One day? Two? Three?

How important is a female coach? A certified coach? (for example, would you prefer a good female rider, or a certified male coach?)

btw, I know several of you have SOs (and friends) who ride, but who don't post. Please pass on any of their thoughts!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Great idea Nerdgirl! This sounds very fun and exciting! I can work on food and beer, ie. I work for a catering company and promo with Carls so can work on pricing for food and drinks and I'm sure I can grab some cool Carls swag :)

I'm impartial of coaching, ie male or female, certified or not, as long as they are patient and skilled.

Up for early weekend or weekday evening (but later on in the month since I'm stuck in a cast still!)

There was a women's clinic last month at Joyride, any feedback from that?

·
Ms. Monster
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ooh - score! More of that tasty blue stuff! (What was it called again? So yummy - must buy more).

VVagabond and I were tossing around Feb 5th as a possible date.

·
That's not a W
457 Posts
Nerdgirl said:
Ooh - score! More of that tasty blue stuff! (What was it called again? So yummy - must buy more).

VVagabond and I were tossing around Feb 5th as a possible date.
Are you talking about that fruity beer? I brought one home and really liked it too. Made me wish I snagged more from Louda.

Thanks for the feedback, Louda. And we wouldn't dream of having it when you are still broken ;) Will find out about the ladies' clinic. I know they were having Monday night sessions that were going well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You must be talking the nectar of the goddesses ;) Kronenberg Blanc 1664, mmmmm sooo tasty! start asking for it at your local bar and they will be sure to stock up! There are only a couple places in Toronto now that actually have it on tap! I know, rah rah Carlsberg :)

Awesome, I should be back with a vengeance come February!

Attachments

·
Ms. Monster
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Louda said:
You must be talking the nectar of the goddesses ;) Kronenberg Blanc 1664, mmmmm sooo tasty! start asking for it at your local bar and they will be sure to stock up! There are only a couple places in Toronto now that actually have it on tap! I know, rah rah Carlsberg :)

Awesome, I should be back with a vengeance come February!
Oh, that's the stuff. It was nommy! Note to self - this is not the beer thread...

Glad to hear you're on the mend! No rollerskates at Xmas parties, young lady!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I promise! Cast will be coming off same day as the partay! So you'll miss the pretty purple fibre glass cast...

Maybe we should put a disclaimer on the Joyride Women's Day adverts...drinking excessive amounts of said sponsored beer and non-sanctioned Jagr will lead to injuries if also sporting footwear with wheels...

·
Registered
638 Posts
Weekends work better for me.
Don't care if the coaches are certified, as long as they know their stuff.
Unstructured stations sound like a good idea.
Free entry would be sweet!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Since garagemonster is in this thread, I figure I can be too.

My wife (Mrs. Coach, Chickedyou, whatever you're calling her these days) will be there if at all possible.

When I was there last Friday with my sons and 4 members of our high school team, my 6 year old asked me, "Why is it only boys here?".

·
Ms. Monster
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
swabag said:
What the heck is a quarter punch,
I can't recall if I learned the term from Mike at a WOW rocks 'n' logs clinic, or from the Sacred Rides coaches at Buckwallow.

In any case, it referred to the powerful quarter-turn of the cranks you use at low speed to pop your front wheel up. Though more I can see the appeal of more creative interpretations...

Oh - should have added manuals to that list. Perhaps the list is over-ambitious. Maybe it should be based more on area of the park. E.g. leading a group through each of the sport skinnies (with advice); pump track skillz; jumping skillz... And leave the basics to the beginner area?

Would YOU be interested in volunteering to coach???

·
That's not a W
457 Posts
HSCoach2 said:
When I was there last Friday with my sons and 4 members of our high school team, my 6 year old asked me, "Why is it only boys here?".
I was there Friday too! And there was this guy who was a dead ringer for you (pun intended) but for some reason I thought it couldn't be you because you are a teacher. Are you at the school who had a PE day and the reason Joyride opened early? Now I wish I said hello.

Nerdgirl said:
Would YOU be interested in volunteering to coach???
That would be awesome. Come on, swabag!

·
FeelIng Cranky!
147 Posts
That my friend it's really excellent idea and I just know my girlfriends would be interested. We love joyride!

Don't care if the coach is male or female. But my prefferance is the weekend.

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
VVagabond said:
That would be awesome. Come on, swabag!
I'll do it if you do it. Plus, there'll probably be beer (after, of course)! :D

"Quarter punch" (not to be confused with "junk punch", :eek:) is indeed a term we learned from a coach at Sacred Rides. We stuck with it since Nerdgirl found it more descriptive than when I would tell her to "pop a wheelie". :)

In my experience with clinics like this, it seems half the battle is demystifying terminology. Some people say bunny-hop while others insist on saying j-hop to describe the same thing. To-may-to, to-mah-to. :skep:

Maybe there should be a long in-class section... ?/waits for Ms. Vagabond to start throwing vegetables.../ :D

·
That's not a W
457 Posts
swabag said:
Heck yeah, just don't ask me to teach manuals, and Louda can't be in my group that girl is trouble.
Oh awkward, we were going to make her your assistant for the day. (just kidding Lou!)

Yay! our first (swabag!) and second coach (gm!). We will give you a save the date as soon as it's confirmed.

Starbuck - Nerdgirl, myself and I assume garage monster are joyriding Dec 11 if you want to join us.

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
VVagabond said:
Starbuck - Nerdgirl, myself and I assume garage monster are joyriding Dec 11 if you want to join us.
December 18th is our (Hamilton) club/youth visit too. Good times! Can't get too much Joyride! :thumbsup:

·
Ms. Monster
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
swabag said:
Heck yeah, just don't ask me to teach manuals, and Louda can't be in my group that girl is trouble.
Well, crap. Guess I'll have to get the littlest Summers to teach me! Awesome to have you on board!

Any other suggestions for who we can arm-twist into coaching would be welcome.

And I am NOT having gm as my coach. I get enough of that at home! Although his advice is better than Hayden's sage words on how to bunnyhop: "First you wheelie, then you jump". Riiiight. Since I suck at both, not so useful.

·
FeelIng Cranky!
147 Posts
Reply from an AVID MTBR friend of mine.

LOVE IT!

my thots:

when: weekeday. that way Joyride doesn't have to close just for us. ALL day long.

Coaches: guys and gals - either or. as long as they know more than us and can teach us things.

food: heck, we're ladies - we can provide what we need.

let's get this thing going!!!

1 - 20 of 195 Posts