Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intention to make custom cassette as I could not use the small cog 11-13-15. SImply do not have the strength/stamina and mainly due to health. Been riding fixed gear 34/16 combi & I prefer it if my mtb able to utilise 16t to 42t and in between to have tighter ratio. Road cassette have good ratio but do not have the 42t. So I will try to combine both road & mtb cassette in hoping it will work.

I only do my cycling on a footpath or shared path, no road usage at all..there's some bumpy& holes so I prefer to use mtb as it is bulletproof. My country law with max speed of 10km/hr to 25km/hr if you want ride at path, with many gradients along the way..I will really need big teeth cog.

Back to what I about to do, I will mix 2 cassette to 1 & also using a 16t first cog position & a 12t lockring. Be using 34t chainring.
I will make the cassette to : 16-17-19-21-23-25-28-32-36-42
On a normal cruising, i will keep to 19,21,23t cog most of the time

I will be using parts that I already have to save cost. It will be 10s setup.
First cog & lockring, I manage to buy from ebay & aliexpress.

• 16t first cog Part Number : Y1ZD1600D
  • Shimano XT RD-8000 11s
  • Shimano Saint SL-M820 10s Shifter
  • Cassette 1 : 11-13-15-17-19-21-23-25-28-32
  • Cassette 2 : 11-13-15-17-21-24-28-32-36-42
  • Either Shimano or KMC chain

Will update on the assembly journey with photo next week when im ready to get it fixed...

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,988 Posts
Don't stop believing.

• Haha
Reactions: Bikeworks

·
Destroyer of Worlds
464 Posts
I'm very interested in this subject. I've never looked closely enough at a cassette to see if all the cogs are bolted together or if some are machined as a unit (is that even possible?). I guess another question would be whether the derailleur has enough flexibility and range to handle the changed cassette.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Most important parts 16t first position cog & 12t lockring...hard to get...without these 2 item, the project will not happen...

2 cassette...will mix it up...
what i found out that different brand will have different cog & spacer size...they didnt follow shimano size...best get same brand...

Seem ok....will update again when fix to mtb...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why not just run a smaller front chainring and a tighter, smaller cassette? wouldn't this achieve the same thing?
Not really. Why not focus on 22t chainring & max 40t cassette but why big brand do a 30+ chainring & 50t cassette.
Its all due to candence. You need to spin more ..really more for the distance...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.