Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ben Cathro recently interviewed Jordi Cortes in the pits at Andorra World Cup 2019.

Check out 3:10'ish to 3:50 for his comments on mid-stroke damping.
Damping works through the entire stroke, from beginning to end.There's no mid-stroke, there's no this, "there's no I want it supple here, I want it firm here." It's a damper. It's damping. That's what it does.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,762 Posts
Kind of. It’s a damping issue because most OEM stuff is so restrictive in the high speed that we run the low speed “open” for decent compliance, but then it blows through travel and makes our chassis dip and buck all over the place. Then you add an air spring to the mix with its flat midstroke curve and the issue gets even worse, but it doesn’t have to be this way. Most of this “support” issue is fixed with damping that actually works, rather than that which forces you to run it in settings that exaggerate the weakness of an air spring.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Kind of. It's a damping issue because most OEM stuff is so restrictive in the high speed that we run the low speed "open" for decent compliance, but then it blows through travel and makes our chassis dip and buck all over the place. Then you add an air spring to the mix with its flat midstroke curve and the issue gets even worse, but it doesn't have to be this way. Most of this "support" issue is fixed with damping that actually works, rather than that which forces you to run it in settings that exaggerate the weakness of an air spring.
As an assessment of the limitations and struggles of air sprung suspension systems, I agree with you. However, when you throw the phrase "mid-stroke support" into a conversation about dampers, that all falls apart.

If we could isolate the spring and damper (why would you do that really?) from a theoretical discussion perspective, we'd use different terms to describe what the damper is doing in this area. IE, hysteresis*, critical damping knee, cross over/blow off, and adjuster cross talk.

*in some ways hysteresis is position sensitive

·
Registered
614 Posts
The part about "there is a right and a wrong way" when it comes to suspension is worth thinking about. Makes sense that there is indeed an optimal setup regardless of rider. But he's also working with world class riders who's job it is to win. If that means setting up the bike to be as fast as possible and it being the riders responsibility to learn to make it work, that makes sense.

Is that approach going to make bike riding the most fun though??? For the casual rider, I think there is merit to setting up the bike to the rider's wants over what is "best."

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Kind of. It's a damping issue because most OEM stuff is so restrictive in the high speed that we run the low speed "open" for decent compliance, but then it blows through travel and makes our chassis dip and buck all over the place.
Of course there will always be concessions. Support is a bit vague I guess. Midstroke support usually refers to air spring issues though not LSC because even with more LSC you'll still feel the dip in the spring curve.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,762 Posts
Of course there will always be concessions. Support is a bit vague I guess. Midstroke support usually refers to air spring issues though not LSC because even with more LSC you'll still feel the dip in the spring curve.
My point is that what people are describing as a lack of support is not so much a lack of spring support, but a lack of damping support with restrictive HS that forces them to run the suspension so it blows through travel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.