Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy MTBR-ers.
I have outgrown my 2017 mid level Trek x-caliber 29er. Between the drop out axles and 19mm wheels and "dated" 3x cassette I am looking for a new bike rather then upgrading.

The goal is to stay at or under $2k (usa). The RSD has the ability for 3.8 tires, great for snow season here. The Jones has the legendary handlebar and Jones engineering. No suspension fork is alarming.

I use the bike as a do it all. On the road on the trail and in the woods. Not looking to bomb down trails or break records. Climbing is important. What goes down eventually goes up.

I was thinking maybe the RSD with a Jones bar....
If the Mayor came in 29plus from the factory I would go with that.

Let's hear some chatter on the subject.
Thanks for reading!

·
Rippin da fAt
10,281 Posts
While I cannot speak of the Jones, it does look to be an awesome bike and company.

The Sergeant V3 has been updated to be more 4" ready. 157mm rear axle and 83mm BB make it more suitable.
On the Mayor with 29+, there are a few good wheel deals out there that would give the opportunity to go true fat for winter and + for summer.
Check here. PAIR of 29er FatBike WTB TCS Tubeless Compatible Wheels + FREE Tires: Maxxis IKON 29x2.2 inch

Guess it comes down to versatility...

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
Interesting that this came up. These 2 bikes are currently at the top of my dream bikes list.
I'm leaning towards the RSD though, mainly because of: 1) the ability to run 4" in the back and 2) RSD are just down the road from where I work :cool:
With how and where I ride, I'd probably get the Sergeant frameset and set it up with a rigid fork and run 40-50mm rims with 4" Maxxis year-round.

·
Rippin da fAt
10,281 Posts
Interesting that this came up. These 2 bikes are currently at the top of my dream bikes list.
I'm leaning towards the RSD though, mainly because of: 1) the ability to run 4" in the back and 2) RSD are just down the road from where I work :cool:
With how and where I ride, I'd probably get the Sergeant frameset and set it up with a rigid fork and run 40-50mm rims with 4" Maxxis year-round.
Brown Santa dropped off a V3 with rigid fork this week. The fork has a whole lotta bosses on both sides for mounting stuff and the frame is set up with rack mount bosses as well. Look forward to running 4" flubber and doing loads of exploring in the backcountry.

I am torn on 29+ and 3.25's or 27.5 and 3.25's with the 4" option. I already have the FBF/FBR 3.8's that I use on my V1 on hand.

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
Brown Santa dropped off a V3 with rigid fork this week. The fork has a whole lotta bosses on both sides for mounting stuff and the frame is set up with rack mount bosses as well. Look forward to running 4" flubber and doing loads of exploring in the backcountry.
:cool::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have a Jones, and I do enjoy it, but the "cush" bug has bit me and I do wish I could run alternate wheelsizes in it. I guess I like to change my bikes setup often enough that it is hard for me to build a bike and leave it in one format. So if I were to do it again, I would probably try the RSD.
(As it is now, my Pugsley fills this void, although I am lacking the alternate wheelsets)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Built up a SWB Jones in April and it is incredible. It is difficult to compare it to anything else as it rides like nothing I've ever been on. All the Jones videos are spot on and aren't hype to sell you a bike. This thing is def all that its claimed to be. If your looking for a "Do it all" bike this one is it. It will def not bomb down trail like a suspension forked trail bike but it is very capable. My wife comments on how it climbs every time she rides and "this climbs like a mountain goat". Hands down the most comfortable bike I've ridden. My Jones gets most of my saddle time these days as I commute to work, take the dogs on 3-5 mile rides and get the 11yo out on the bike. This has to be the best bike packing bike ot there for long loaded days. The only down' fall is that the complete doesn't come with tubeless tires thus your dropping another $100-180 immediately , as plus and tubeless go hand in hand. I was able to budget shop the web for a few months are built up a SWB with truss fork for around $2500. That gives me the EBB, 1x11, tubeless, and other premium budget parts that are a step up from the complete build for not much more money. I really can't say enough good things about this bike and if your ever in Flagstaff I'd be happy to let you take her fora spin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.