Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 311 Posts

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Jones Spaceframe / ti truss fork were delivered today. The bike is at my LBS getting final assembly touches and hopefully will be ready later this afternoon or tomorrow.

Attachments

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stert said:
whoah! looks....heavy

whats it weight?

I didn't actually weigh the frame, although I should have. I'll weigh it once it's built up. I think most of Jeff's spaceframes end up in the 22 lb range, so they are reasonably light.

·
My spoon is too big!
881 Posts
Sweet! If only I had the extra cash.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
uknathank said:
is that a .... mudguard? bummer

Jeff calls it a crud catcher. It's removable. He happened to have a frame with the options I wanted, but it had a crud catcher. Since I was indifferent to the idea of a crud catcher and it is removalble, I went for it :)

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
stert said:
not bad at all.

sorry about my ignorance but is it a fat tire bike?
no, it's a commuter bike. hence the mudguard. hope this helps!

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stert said:
not bad at all.

sorry about my ignorance but is it a fat tire bike?

You can run some pretty fat tires on it. Jeff actually makes a 135mm wide front fork to allow huge tire / wheel combos. Since I already had an I9 29er wheelset, I opted to go with the standard 100mm ti truss fork. I'll probably use different tires, depending on the terrain. It'll be setup as a 1X6, which should allow me to use it on most socal trails.

As for the crudcatcher (mudguard) - it's removable.

·
rides with camera
894 Posts
Nice frame buddy ! What kind of build are you going with ? How long did you wait for them to build it ? You will have that bike forever .
I just got my dream Ti hardtail bike this year and life is pretty good :D

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sherijumper said:
Nice frame buddy ! What kind of build are you going with ? How long did you wait for them to build it ? You will have that bike forever .
I just got my dream Ti hardtail bike this year and life is pretty good :D

I've been looking at Jones bikes for a while, but finally pulled the trigger. I was lucky that Jeff had a frame in stock with the options I wanted, so my wait time was pretty short. Once I bought the spaceframe, I ebayed my Vassago Optimus Ti (which was set up as a 29er rigid singlespeed). I'm planning on trying the Jones initially as a 1X6 while running the other parts from my Vassago build (I9 singlespeed wheelset, White ENO cranks, Jones H-bar). I may switch it back to singlespeed later.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
As a fellow Jones owner, you will have a blast! I love mine. Its such a versatile bike, and rides really easy.
I will pass on 2 bits of advice:
1.make sure the EBB is always properly tight (check it before each ride), I failed to once and it slipped a bit, and now I have a bit of a creak that won't go away. Take it out and clean it and grease it at least every few months.
2. Second, don't grease the thomson seatpost, put it in dry. Clean it with degreaser every now and again, but don't grease it. It causes the seatpost to slip, and creak, and also attracts dirt which can get between the frame and the aluminum seatpost insert, which causes a clicking sound. I cured mine by cleaning the seat tube, dropping some chain lube beneath the insert and turning the bike upside down overnight.
Those are just a couple of niggles with the bike, but considering the abuse I've dished out to it, are few and far between. I wouldn't trade mine for the world.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
morandi said:
As a fellow Jones owner, you will have a blast! I love mine. Its such a versatile bike, and rides really easy.
I will pass on 2 bits of advice:
1.make sure the EBB is always properly tight (check it before each ride), I failed to once and it slipped a bit, and now I have a bit of a creak that won't go away. Take it out and clean it and grease it at least every few months.
2. Second, don't grease the thomson seatpost, put it in dry. Clean it with degreaser every now and again, but don't grease it. It causes the seatpost to slip, and creak, and also attracts dirt which can get between the frame and the aluminum seatpost insert, which causes a clicking sound. I cured mine by cleaning the seat tube, dropping some chain lube beneath the insert and turning the bike upside down overnight.
Those are just a couple of niggles with the bike, but considering the abuse I've dished out to it, are few and far between. I wouldn't trade mine for the world.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm initially running a ti Eriksen post since I already had it from a previous build. I may switch to the setback Thomson that came with the frameset later.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
stert said:
whats the reasoning behind the design? (besides looking nice). just seems like overkill for a commuter.

I may ride it to the bagel shop on occasion, but it's not meant as a commuter. It's designed to be a non-suspended mountain bike. The ride is supposed to be unlike most other rigid mountain bikes. Jeff would probably be a better person to explain the nuances of his design - http://www.jonesbikes.com/. He has lots of pics and videos of him (and others) riding some gnarly rock gardens / drops on the spaceframe.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I am in love with those frames. Wish I had the money to buy one. Be sure to post photos of the finished product. :thumbsup:

Out of curiosity...what happens when the headset goes bad? Doesn't look like you can remove the fork without breaking some welds.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Out of curiosity...what happens when the headset goes bad? Doesn't look like you can remove the fork without breaking some welds.[/QUOTE]

The whole steerer tube slides out.

1 - 20 of 311 Posts