Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 905 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got some assembly time this afternoon. Have to pick up some spacers from the LBS. Fork clamp tolerance on installation is very tight. I put a 5mm on the bottom to increase BB height but I'm sure I'll tweak it upon further assembly. Maybe 2.5 top and bottom and go from there. Front wheel will be built Monday. I went with the WTB Scrapers and Chronicles with a Hope 40pt rear hub and I'll be using the Jones 135/142 front hub. It'll be a 1x10 with a 32t NW oval ring, 11-36 cassette, XT clutch RD with some nice XT cranks and a trusty BBG bashguard. BB7's with a 203/180 combo for stopping. Threw my Eriksen Sweetpost on there as well.

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Got some assembly time this afternoon. Have to pick up some spacers from the LBS. Fork clamp tolerance on installation is very tight. I put a 5mm on the bottom to increase BB height but I'm sure I'll tweak it upon further assembly. Maybe 2.5 top and bottom and go from there. Front wheel will be built Monday. I went with the WTB Scrapers and Chronicles with a Hope 40pt rear hub and I'll be using the Jones 135/142 front hub. It'll be a 1x10 with a 32t NW oval ring, 11-36 cassette, XT clutch RD with some nice XT cranks and a trusty BBG bashguard. BB7's with a 203/180 combo for stopping. Threw my Eriksen Sweetpost on there as well.
Sounds like a downright honest build. I'd be doing nearly the same thing except I wouldn't have the Sweet Post.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just waiting for the LBS to finish building my front wheel and for my chainring to arrive.

"The waiting is the hardest part" - Tom Petty.
I know the feeling, it took longer to liberate the frame and parts from the bureaucracy of customs than it did for it to be shipped from the other side of the world.

Anyway, we got one built up yesterday just in time to take it for a ride. It's surprising how it still feels like a Jones yet it's quite different to the spaceframe. It's definitely not slow handling (fortunately!), and it isn't quite so abrupt going over bumps. It seems to have lots of traction and seems to climb very well-not sure how much of that is the frame vs the plus tyres though. It seems to pick up and carry speed downhill pretty well too, though I haven't decided how much I trust the tyres yet...

I'm looking forward to learning more about the bike over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I know the feeling, it took longer to liberate the frame and parts from the bureaucracy of customs than it did for it to be shipped from the other side of the world.

Anyway, we got one built up yesterday just in time to take it for a ride. It's surprising how it still feels like a Jones yet it's quite different to the spaceframe. It's definitely not slow handling (fortunately!), and it isn't quite so abrupt going over bumps. It seems to have lots of traction and seems to climb very well-not sure how much of that is the frame vs the plus tyres though. It seems to pick up and carry speed downhill pretty well too, though I haven't decided how much I trust the tyres yet...

I'm looking forward to learning more about the bike over the next few weeks.
Any further comments, you've had it for a couple of weeks now ;)

Did you get the 24" or 25"?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm very curious to hear how those long chainstays affect the ease to lift the front.

How long is the seat tube on the 25" model?
On my 25" frame, with the EBB at 6 o'clock, seat tube is just over 20".

The trails are melting by me so I have to wait for them to dry a bit before I get out. From just cruising around the neighborhood, it handles very nicely. Not as easy to pop the front as my Krampus but I still need to get used to it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Any further comments, you've had it for a couple of weeks now ;)

Did you get the 24" or 25"?
Haha yes, I've been meaning to write a bit more about this but I thought I'd wait until after the weekend so I can get a bit more time on the bike and confirm a few of the things I've been thinking about it.

As far as the bike itself goes, I'm really enjoying it. I can see why it would be a great bike for a long distance ride, but it's also great fun as a trailbike. It's surprisingly maneuverable for what is a pretty big bike (though I should probably say that one of the other bikes I spend a lot of my riding time on is a WFO9 which has a pretty similar wheelbase). At the same time it's very stable and confidence inspiring. The wide balance point that Jeff talks about is very noticeable-I'm still getting used to that and figuring out what works best.

The steering is actually pretty light, certainly lighter than a Spaceframe with a fat front. To answer seat_boy's question, I haven't had any problems lifting the front end with the long chainstays-none that I've noticed anyway. The bike climbs very well and rides a lot lighter than it really is.

I got the 24" one as that was what Jeff recommended for me. I'm about 6' tall and really like the fit of the steel Spaceframe-this feels very similar-I have a 70mm stem on both bikes. I might post up a bit more after I've done some more riding.

·
Registered
Living Life with a Severe Traumatic Brain Injury is not Fun so go foe a Ride
743 Posts
Haha yes, I've been meaning to write a bit more about this but I thought I'd wait until after the weekend so I can get a bit more time on the bike and confirm a few of the things I've been thinking about it.

As far as the bike itself goes, I'm really enjoying it. I can see why it would be a great bike for a long distance ride, but it's also great fun as a trailbike. It's surprisingly maneuverable for what is a pretty big bike (though I should probably say that one of the other bikes I spend a lot of my riding time on is a WFO9 which has a pretty similar wheelbase). At the same time it's very stable and confidence inspiring. The wide balance point that Jeff talks about is very noticeable-I'm still getting used to that and figuring out what works best.

The steering is actually pretty light, certainly lighter than a Spaceframe with a fat front. To answer seat_boy's question, I haven't had any problems lifting the front end with the long chainstays-none that I've noticed anyway. The bike climbs very well and rides a lot lighter than it really is.

I got the 24" one as that was what Jeff recommended for me. I'm about 6' tall and really like the fit of the steel Spaceframe-this feels very similar-I have a 70mm stem on both bikes. I might post up a bit more after I've done some more riding.
Hi so how long is the seat tube on your 24" Jones Plus?

Has anyone got a few more photo's of the Jones Plus...

Just sold two bikes and about to buy a 29+

It's down to a Surly ECR or a Jones Plus?

Kiwi Pete :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi so how long is the seat tube on your 24" Jones Plus?

Has anyone got a few more photo's of the Jones Plus...

Just sold two bikes and about to buy a 29+

It's down to a Surly ECR or a Jones Plus?

Re. the seat tube length, unfortunately I am away from the bike so I can't measure it directly at the moment. However on Jeff's blog post about the Plus he says that the seat tube on the 24" frame is about 2" shorter than the 25" frame (I think SeaBass_ says that is 20" above). My guess would have been about 18" for the 24" frame before all that, oh well. I can get a more exact measurement in a few days.

There's also a few other pictures on Jeff's blog showing what the standover works out to be which might be useful.

Some images...not just one but two bikes...the black one is mine.

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel

Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

I'm really enjoying the bike, it's a fun ride, which is what a bike should be. It's surprisingly good in tight singletrack (which I know is a hard thing to quantify on the Internet) i.e. doesn't feel clumsy or awkward like some bikes do. It also seems to carry speed well, probably because of the long wheelbase.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Rohloff Plus

Hi Morphosity
Thanks the pines look a little like the tree's here in Taupo, New Zealand?
I have just sold two bike's and i'm going to build up a 29+ to ride in the up coming Tour Aotearoa 2016!
I have cut my list of bikes down to a Surly ECR and the Jones Plus
I have looked up the Jeff's blog etc, but i'm thinking that i'll be seating on the Top Tube? not over it?

I'm planning to run a Rohloff gearhub, XT brakes, and maybe Tubeless tyres?

By the way you bikes look great :)

Kiwi Pete :eekster:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi Morphosity
Thanks the pines look a little like the tree's here in Taupo, New Zealand?
I have just sold two bike's and i'm going to build up a 29+ to ride in the up coming Tour Aotearoa 2016!
I have cut my list of bikes down to a Surly ECR and the Jones Plus
I have looked up the Jeff's blog etc, but i'm thinking that i'll be seating on the Top Tube? not over it?

I'm planning to run a Rohloff gearhub, XT brakes, and maybe Tubeless tyres?

By the way you bikes look great :)

Kiwi Pete :eekster:
Thanks :) the trees are actually reasonably close to Taupo, that picture is at Woodhill. That Tour Aotearoa looks like an awesome ride, it would definitely be a very cool thing to do.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either the ECR or Plus-both bikes seem like they would be well suited to a long distance ride like that. I'd buy the one that fitted me best.

That sounds like it would be a good setup-I would use tubeless tyres for a ride like that because I think they noticeably improve rolling resistance and the sealant should deal with small punctures.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Hi morphosity
Thanks for that in your photos I noticed the saddle is lower than in most photos of a Jones Plus! How high do you run with saddle? Just trying to get a better idea of fit for me.
The ECR is short top tube for me and I would have to run a M size ECR so start to like a Jones Plus more, as I can get my saddle back more than with a ECR.

1 - 20 of 905 Posts