Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddies seem to thing that if it's not made of carbon fiber, it's no longer classified as a "modern bicycle". I'm exaggerating a bit, but you get the idea.

I was looking for a "do everything" bike, and accidentally test rode a Jones Plus. The ergonomics of this bike are SO good, I really want to pull the trigger on one. BUT it seems that everyone on the planet except for a few knuckleheads to races on hard-tails or full suspension bikes.

I would love to have just one bike to ride.
I'm 45, and just getting into mountain biking after doing some "leisurely" triathlons.

Should I just go with the flow and do a carbon hard tail? Or go the different path on a bike I want to ride?

Cheers!
Nick

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sounds like an off question, but what's the goal of your race? Finish? Fun? Or all out time? Purpose is the key I think. If racing is what you do 5% of the time, then but the jones because it will be fun 95% of the time and will still be fun on race day...just slower fun.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like an off question, but what's the goal of your race? Finish? Fun? Or all out time? Purpose is the key I think. If racing is what you do 5% of the time, then but the jones because it will be fun 95% of the time and will still be fun on race day...just slower fun.
The goals are: Not to have three "just ok" bikes, to have fun, be fit, participate (and finish) something cool, like some long distance bike events.
Thanks for the thoughtful response.
--Nick

·
Registered
569 Posts
I think drjon said right then. Enjoy your races on a comfy capable bike. Weight weenies don't enquire here! Now we can live vicariously through you. I have great lust for a jones bike. I have my singular gryphon set up with a Jones bar and love it. Enjoy!

·
Ambassador of Chub
2,827 Posts
The goals are: Not to have three "just ok" bikes, to have fun, be fit, participate (and finish) something cool, like some long distance bike events.
Thanks for the thoughtful response.
--Nick
Those are great goals, and I bet the Jones Plus would fit the bill nicely. Given the majority of the terrain on the Leadville 100 course, I would think it would be a good choice, and even an advantage at times. Regardless - on any 100-mile dirt race, ergonomics are going to be an important consideration, assuming you're not a masochist.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
The Plus is indeed supremely capable as an all-rounder, as well as very comfortable and very very fast. Big distance comfort is there, with no lack of fun either

It's a bit of a head scratcher too in that the looks don't quite translate into the feel. I haven't stopped being impressed by how nice this bike rides (not to say it doesn't look 'nice') :)

pav4wOd.jpg

·
Why so uptite?
975 Posts
Having completed the race more than once I suggest you find a bike that fits well, comfortable ride quality and durable/dependable. I passed many folks who were on lighter 'race' rigs. I might try to get in again in 2018.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went to the bike shop and it turns out I was confused, then I did some research and now I'm really confused! :)

Seems that my first test ride on a Jones bike (which actually belonged to the head mechanic) was a "Jones 29" in the 24" version (medium). Somehow I thought I was riding the "Jones Plus" but I was wrong.

Then I went back and I test rode a "Jones Plus" in 24" also medium. Somehow this bike kinda felt big to me.

I read up on the Jones site, to figure out if the "Jones 29" somehow fits differently than the "Jones Plus" (both medium, 24").
From what I read, they should fit roughly the same sized people.

It's weird but Jones' philosophy on bike fit is essentially: "The cockpit size is nearly the same, tweak seat position and stem position to taste".

To further confuse things the older model of the "Jones Plus" does not have through axles.
The new "Jones Plus" models have through axles. I don't have an opinion on TAs; they seem better in theory. This can be confusing as they are not really referred to by specific model numbers much.

So my question is this: Should I go for the "Jones PLUS", or the regular "Jones 29"?
My assumption is that the fit is essentially the same, just different wheel base. Oh and through axles are on the new "Jones PLUS".

Is the "Jones Plus" longer wheelbase just that much better?
Seems like difference in price is $300 more for the newer 'Jones Plus'. But considering this is going to be easily $3K when done, that's not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I think the new plus bikes have a longer wheelbase which is why it felt different to you. You want the long wheelbase for the stability in brings. Supposedly there is not handling trade off. I'd call Jeff Jones and ask. Its a big investment and I'm sure he'd be able to talk you through it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Seems that my first test ride on a Jones bike (which actually belonged to the head mechanic) was a "Jones 29" in the 24" version (medium). Somehow I thought I was riding the "Jones Plus" but I was wrong.

Then I went back and I test rode a "Jones Plus" in 24" also medium. Somehow this bike kinda felt big to me.
Make sure you are getting these sizes right. I believe a 23" Jones 29 is referred to as Medium, while the 24" Jones Plus gets the Medium label.

Roughly:

Medium: 23" Jones 29 = 24" Jones Plus
Large: 24" Jones 29 = 25" Jones Plus.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
LOL - I've never come across a bike which causes so much confusion - whether it's attempting to fathom how the geometry makes for such a nice ride, or how the heck does one size for the bike

Here's an extract from a lengthy thread by 'Biff' who is UK's JJ Bikes importer

biff - Member
Chief has it... the Plus frames are 23 / 24 / 25"

The 23" is a Spaceframe as this offers excellent standover clearance. Its geometry is the same as the 24 and 25 Diamond Pluses. When I say same this is shared 'Jones Geometry' for the PLUS models, just as the 29 frames have their own version of 'Jones Geometry'. The sizing of the two models (Plus and 29) is such that a 24" Plus is the correct size for a rider who would ride a 23" 29 Jones.

That makes things a little clearer? Jeff will then talk about stem length and straight/layback seatposts and seat angles and rake and trail and rim width and tyres and tyre pressure and much more. Passion.

Taken from here:

Jones Plus « Singletrack Forum

·
Registered
262 Posts
I went to the bike shop and it turns out I was confused, then I did some research and now I'm really confused! :)

I read up on the Jones site, to figure out if the "Jones 29" somehow fits differently than the "Jones Plus" (both medium, 24").

It's weird but Jones' philosophy on bike fit is essentially: "The cockpit size is nearly the same, tweak seat position and stem position to taste".

To further confuse things the older model of the "Jones Plus" does not have through axles.
The new "Jones Plus" models have through axles. I don't have an opinion on TAs; they seem better in theory. This can be confusing as they are not really referred to by specific model numbers much.

So my question is this: Should I go for the "Jones PLUS", or the regular "Jones 29"?
My assumption is that the fit is essentially the same, just different wheel base. Oh and through axles are on the new "Jones PLUS".

Seems like difference in price is $300 more for the newer 'Jones Plus'. But considering this is going to be easily $3K when done, that's not a deal breaker.
I've spent quite a lot of time riding a Jones Plus and a Spaceframe/Jones 29, they are both great bikes (and I don't think you'd be disappointed with either) but have their own characteristics. For what I understand Leadville to be like, I'd pick the Plus over the Jones 29, because it has a more comfortable ride and seems to carry momentum better, at least on dirt/gravel. This, in my opinion is due to the geometry, wheelbase, and plus tyres. One of the other important differences between the Plus and the 29 that I'm not sure has been mentioned here yet is that the Plus has a slacker head angle and a bit more offset-which contributes to these characteristics along with the long wheelbase.

But the Spaceframe is more maneuverable, especially at low speed and can be better/easier to handle in some technical situations, depending on setup. The Plus is very capable though.

In terms of fit they can be made to be very similar- I had both of my medium bikes set up the same way.

As others have said, call Jeff, he has always been very helpful when I've had questions for him.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts

Others have given you good input, but I just wanted to clarify that there is no 24" Jones 29er*. There is only one size, 23", now called a medium. And as others have said, in theory it should fit the same size person as the 24" Jones Plus. Just remember, fitting the same is not the same as feeling the same. The Plus will feel very different while riding because of the different geometry.

*Just to confuse you a little more, at one point many years ago, there was actually a 24" Jones 29er. Not many of them were made, and they are very rare. Most likely, the bike you rode was a current 23" Jones 29er.

·
Lone Wolf
1,790 Posts
The Jones bike, Built by a true virtuoso

Virtuoso:
synonyms: genius, expert, master, past master, maestro, artist, prodigy, marvel, adept, professional, doyen, veteran;

·
Most Delicious
1,316 Posts
I recently rode the Monarch Crest on a rented Specialized FSR 6fattie with my friend who has a Jones Plus running Chupas. On the smoother bottom section coming back into Salida I had to pedal to keep up with him coasting....

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I've had my Jones Plus (25") coming up on 2 years now (First Gen - 142F/135R axles) and it has handled every type of terrain thrown at it with aplomb. I'm so happy with this bike that the only thing i would add to it would be a Ti fork, not out of necessity but just for bling. It's been a Single Speed it's entire life.

J1.jpg

1 - 20 of 56 Posts