Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know it's an old post, but I'm currently running a 3" Minion DHR II up front and 2.8" Rekon+ on the back with i40 rims. Went to this from a 2.8/2.6 combo and didn't notice any difference in handling.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can I ask why you went with the SWB over the LWB? Any issues with the Rekon's clearance? Interested in real world experience.

It'll be a while 'til Jones has any stock in, but I'm on the fence. I'd love a 29x3.25 LWB, but a SWB would be more versatile....
As a trail bike, I thought the SWB might handle tight maneuvers like switchbacks a little better. That was the main reason, but I also didn't think I'd ever run anything bigger that 3" tires. I've never ridden an LWB, so I can't compare the two, but the SWB has not disappointed. It's one of the nicest handling bikes I've had. In terms of clearance, the stated 29x2.6" max on the rear seems conservative. The 29x2.8" Rekon fits just fine (tire width on an i40 rim is just a hair under 2.8"). I do ride in a fairly dry climate, though, so mud clearance isn't a top consideration for me. I've got at 4-5mm on either side between the tire and chainstay.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks for the reply- that was just what I was looking for. Interesting to hear that even if you're riding it outside the bounds that Jones originally designed it that it still handles so well. We'll see what is actually available once stock is back in though...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.