Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
There was a post this week with a Jones bar that had forward sweep and a one-part horn section. Especially good for grip shifts, etc, as the weld does not get in the way.
Exactly what the docter ordered. For me the old style H is a SS bars, work fair enough for that, and that's an understatement.

3,617 Posts
i've been running titec h-bars with Sram triggers for at least a couple of years now.
on my Pug
and now again on my Big Dummy

i've wrapped the center section(s) with plain ol cork tape
then for the grips I've used Oury slip on grips, but i wrapped that part of the bar with electrical tape, making it have a bulge, so when the grips slide on... it has a shape for the palm of your hands. cut off the mushroom end piece of the grip, and use a bar plug.

I've used Oury grips for years, and it was funny to me that it finally dawned on me to use the electrical tape "bulge" trick. that's an old trick from when i was a kid. i thought it was funny that i had forgot about it for so long.

i think the trick to the H-bar is to try to keep the top section nice and flat... that is... the intersection of the straight bar, and what would be bar ends. that way you can place your palms there. as if to mimic the riding posture with a flat bar, and bar-ends.

Attachments

·
The Human Arrow
107 Posts
1x 9 geared on Jones H-Bar ....El Mariachi

Here's my solution for 1x9 on my El Mariachi with Jones Bars... Been running this setup since last September. Very easy to dump gears, and just a little harder to grab for gears. This is simply an upside-down LX shifter pod that I had laying around....

I just rode this combo for the Lumberjack 100 here in Michigan, and it did fine.
35-tooth spiderless Spot front ring, 11-34 XT rear cassette.

-Denis

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I use Jones bars with SRAM twist grip shifter on my geared bikes. It works very well. Currently running 1 x 9.

Triggers can work on a H-bar but using the twist grip I can grab or drop 9 gears instantly with a single twist.

I can post a pic or two if you need to see it...

R.

beerman said:
Is anyone running Jones bars on a geared bike? I am looking for some input. I know Jeff suggests Paul's thumbies, Shimano sti, but I was wondering if anything elses works, like Sram trigger shifters?

Thanks
www.bikesandbeer.com

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
i've tried xo gripshifts and x-7 grip shifts and they're both so long that you can't get much of a grip on there (due to the welds not letting the gripshifters go all the way forward). i might try again as i'm sick of attempting to upshift and hitting bar instead.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I know some folks hate 'em but I helped a friend put some XT Dual Control levers on his Blacksheep tandem... They work very well on the Jones bars... just slide 'em down the horns on the front.
S

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I started with an H-Bar on my singlespeed, then bought a second for a geared bike.

I tried X0 grips, X0 triggers, and Paul thumbshifters with a Jones H-bar on my Turner Flux. All of them worked (the thumbshifters were the best of the lot), though compromised the multi-hand position that makes the Jones bar so nice.

I spent a few months using the thumbshifters until finally switching to a Mary bar with gripshifts. As much as I wanted to use the Jones bars (the bar, along with the X0 triggers and Paul's are in a spare parts box now, doh!), the thumbshifters just didn't cut it full-time. If I were to try again (and I doubt I will, I now have Mary bars on all my geared bikes), I think the only practical option is the integrated Shimano levers ... I'm just not keen on buying yet another set of shifters.

·
Registered
126 Posts
BigfootDenny said:
Here's my solution for 1x9 on my El Mariachi with Jones Bars... Been running this setup since last September. Very easy to dump gears, and just a little harder to grab for gears. This is simply an upside-down LX shifter pod that I had laying around....
Hey, could you put up more pics of your El Mar? I have a blue El Mar too and was wondering what it would look like with an H bar. Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I once saw a pic on Jones website, with the H-bar set up with bar end shifters mounted on the front extensions.
I ride my H bar singlespeed, but I tried out just for interest what it ´ld be with thumbies. Well it looks pretty cool, but I loose one of my favourite hand positions. The crossing between extension and flat section for standing climbing ... I guess I ´ld go with either dual control or bar end shifters.

does anyone tried out the bar shifter thing and can comment this way?

b.asti

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have bar-end shifters in my rear extensions. (ooo, errr, misuss!!!) on my touring / road bike with H-bars.
Works very well for that application, but I'm not sure I'd use it for serious mountain stuff.
I'll try and post some pics later.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am really happy with my 1x9 with the dual control shimano shifters.

I tried the XOs mounted high on the front horns but wasn't very happy with them.

I have seen posted that using the Avid matchmaker with Avid brakes and Sram shifter works well. I would love to see a pic though-and wonder if that set up works with the Shimano shifters...

·
'Calm Down'
855 Posts
I've got a XO Trigger setup with a Formula Mix-Master mount & Oro k24 discs (1x9). It plays very well with the Jones bar. I'll take a photo and post it when I get home tonight.

Note: I used a "Left" Mix-Master mount on the right side for proper clearance to the cross bar.

jw

JudoLizard said:
I am really happy with my 1x9 with the dual control shimano shifters.

I tried the XOs mounted high on the front horns but wasn't very happy with them.

I have seen posted that using the Avid matchmaker with Avid brakes and Sram shifter works well. I would love to see a pic though-and wonder if that set up works with the Shimano shifters...

·
'Calm Down'
855 Posts
As promised.

Note: The Mix-Master mount in the photos is sold as a "left" mount. I initially tried a right mount and it didn't sit correctly.

jw

JudoLizard said:
Please post a pic when you get a chance.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
STI works best

I've been a thumby, then "rapidfire" style guy for years. When Shimano came out with their dual control shifters I really didn't like the idea, so I never tried them. Then I got my H-Bar, put on my XTR Rapidfire shifters, Avid Ultimate brake levers and .... spent the next few weeks hating them. The reach just never seemed right and they clutter up the small front end of the bar extension. So, I bought some old Dual Control levers from a friend and put those on. What a difference. It takes up half as much space and the adjustability is better as a result of that. This is a set-up Jeff recommends too.

That having been said, I had problems with the bar design: I love the thinking behind it, the multiple hand positions and the angle of the bars. I think for singlespeeders these bars would absolutely rule. But, for an XC guy like myself who is always on the shifters and the brakes, I found that my hands were rarely in the best position for any length of time.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.