Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here pick up one of those Joker XC frames from Cambria?

I am curious about how the Manitou QR shock performs. Been looking around for a solid XC frame and came down to this or the Azonic Propulsion. Neither of which I can test ride because both are mail order specials. Read all the reviews and did my search, but was just wondering if any one had any fresh thoughts on the XC.

If ya got pics, would great appreciate the eye candy.
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
dirtpaws said:
Anyone here pick up one of those Joker XC frames from Cambria?

I am curious about how the Manitou QR shock performs. Been looking around for a solid XC frame and came down to this or the Azonic Propulsion. Neither of which I can test ride because both are mail order specials. Read all the reviews and did my search, but was just wondering if any one had any fresh thoughts on the XC.

If ya got pics, would great appreciate the eye candy.
I know I'm the one who first posted about the deal on the Joker XC from Cambria but after some thought and as much as I liked my Joker I can't recommend the XC version Cambria is selling unless you are under 150 lbs and ride easy. It has the old style welded swingarm yoke that had issues with cracking from torsional loads. I would go with the Azonic.

If you still decide to go this route I think there are some pics in the "show your Ells" thread.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
doesn't it come with a warrenty though? :rolleyes:
 

·
Trail rider and racer
Joined
·
4,691 Posts
SSINGA said:
Good ol' JM trying to stir up the Ells warranty debate (rant) again:p Where is Steve3?
Yes, it would be fun to have all the regulars back for another debat - err I mean argument .
 

·
sock puppet
Joined
·
8,104 Posts
somebody mentioned argument

Trevor! said:
Yes, it would be fun to have all the regulars back for another debat - err I mean argument .
about Ells warranty? Jm, you are your usual miserable self again?

well, after 3 months of serious riding on my Truth with Air rear shock and with 205 healty pounds, the bike still doesnt require warranty... i know, i know... Jm, please stop banging your head against the wall. That hurts...

Hmmm, next please...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
Wow, 3 whole months. You must be proud.
 

·
sock puppet
Joined
·
8,104 Posts
proud? who cares... happy? sure...

Jm. said:
Wow, 3 whole months. You must be proud.
you didnt give me that much time anyway...

but it surely was fun experience and i am one very happy owner...

in my experience if the product doesnt fail within first couple of months, it is going to be good for a long time... barring an accident...

i am sure you will find a way to disagree with that...
 

·
Something goes here...
Joined
·
2,067 Posts
SSINGA said:
I know I'm the one who first posted about the deal on the Joker XC from Cambria but after some thought and as much as I liked my Joker I can't recommend the XC version Cambria is selling unless you are under 150 lbs and ride easy. It has the old style welded swingarm yoke that had issues with cracking from torsional loads. I would go with the Azonic.

If you still decide to go this route I think there are some pics in the "show your Ells" thread.
I have a buddy who is seriously considering the Joker XC. He's about 185 lbs. and it sounds like you're not very confident in this frame due to past experiences. His other option is a Heckler. I know that'll be beefy enough for him and he won't be breaking that. I'll have to recommend the Heckler (as much as it hurts NOT to recommend a good ol' Ells) for now. Thanks for the heads up on this frame and the 'old style welded swingarm.'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joker XC Warranty tidbit...

I was on the phone with Ellsworth customer service today to ask them about the warranty for the Joker XC and the rep told me there was no warranty on those frame from Ellsworth.

He said the Joker XC edition came about because of a manufacturing error. Essentially, the bike plate was supposed to allow two shock positions, but an error at the factory only resulted only in the shorter travel shock postition on the plate. They had a batch of these and sold them to Cambria as the Joker XC for that low price. Cambria did a buyout of those frames.

I called up Cambria and they said that they don't officially offer a warranty on those frames either, but would do the best they could to keep the customers happy. I asked,"like give full refund or store credit if the frame cracks?", but they kept saying it would be case by case issue and they would do what it took to keep the customer happy. Not really an answer, but that's their answer.

Anyways, I am not trying to stir up any warranty arguments because I know the Ellsworth warranty has been a sensitive issue.

Just wanted to inform any Joker XC buyers out there about what I learned today directly from Ellsworth and Cambria.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top