Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished building up my Joker last night and I'm wondering how you guys route the cables. I guess I'm making things difficult for myself but as I didn't want to dis-assemble my hydros and wanted to run a full length gear cable outer to the rear mech I didn't use the cable guides.

So at the moment my bike is covered with bits of electrical tape! What's the 'normal' setup, do you all use the guides as intended? It just seemed a bit convoluted to me...
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
fridge said:
Finished building up my Joker last night and I'm wondering how you guys route the cables. I guess I'm making things difficult for myself but as I didn't want to dis-assemble my hydros and wanted to run a full length gear cable outer to the rear mech I didn't use the cable guides.

So at the moment my bike is covered with bits of electrical tape! What's the 'normal' setup, do you all use the guides as intended? It just seemed a bit convoluted to me...
I used the guides but drilled (actually used a Dremel tool) them out to accept the hydro hoses. This would require removing the lines and the fitting to thread them through but gives a very "clean" look. Also best done with new hoses prior to installing the DOT brake fluid (if yours uses that) because that will ruin the finish on your frame. You could drill out the cable guides also.
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
fridge said:
I think I'd be a bit hesitant to start drilling bit's, how easy did you find it?
I was very hesitant...but with the right bit in the Dremel and a can of WD-40 it went very well. A flex-shaft for the Dremel tool helps alot also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SSINGA said:
I was very hesitant...but with the right bit in the Dremel and a can of WD-40 it went very well. A flex-shaft for the Dremel tool helps alot also.
Is there a specific, particular, bit that worked just right?

Presumably Ellswoth would frown upon and 'modification' to the frame.
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
fridge said:
Is there a specific, particular, bit that worked just right?

Presumably Ellswoth would frown upon and 'modification' to the frame.
Yes there was one that worked better than the others I tried. I'll try to remember to look at it when I get home and post what it was. The key is the WD-40 spray. It really helps move the process along.

I can't say what the offical Ellsworth stand is on thise types of frame mods but I did't want to tape or zip-tie the lines onto the frame.

Posting note: you can use the Edit feature to change or correct your posts instead of creating another.
 

·
Time is not a road.
Joined
·
4,150 Posts
My LBS ran the discs on my Isis. They used some sort of plastic guide with a self adhesive on the back. Doesn't look bad. I thought that the anodized frame wouldn't work well with the sticky backed plastic, but it's held up fine, even thru rain and snow for a year and a half. I think Hope makes a guide that fits into the routing built on the frame, if you don't want to start drilling. The one's I've seen look real clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Cable routing?

I came up with the same problem when I got my Joker too. Looked at it and thought, "I ain't disconnecting my discs.." I tried the stick on routers, but they fell off after two rides. Zip tied too, looked like crapola.

From my old Dare, I took a cable adapter my friends and I ran on most of our bikes for the simple reason that if you need to take your brake out, you could without disconnecting it. I don't know what the correct industry term for this little doohickey is, but it fits into any closed or open line snaps on your hydraulic line.

Good luck finding one, This was my last one, I need two more.
 

Attachments

·
Brass Nipples!
Joined
·
2,006 Posts
"Problem Solvers" brand bolt on cable guides.

Performance bike has these. Your LBS could order them, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found a neat solution

Much head scratching and fiddling with bits of tape later...

Routed the rear mech cable (full length outer) round the front of the head-tube through the gap in front of the shock mounting then down beside the shock (rhs), small cable tie onto the mounting for a shorter shock, along the top of the lower swing arm extrusion. Wrapped the swingarm in an old tube, cable tied, to secure both the gear cable and protect the arm from chain slap.

Routed the rear brake hose over the top tube then down alongside the shock,cable tied as with the rear gear cable, to the cable fixing on the swingarm (cable tie).

Looks much neater, will try and get some pics. Only improvement would be if Ellsworth ditched the cable stops on the top tube.. how about it guys, they're just waiting to cause a painful injury there?

Thanks for the ideas.
David :)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top