Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Breaking parts
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says I am switching to Yeti for next season. Ordered 303RDH after demoing a friends last year. :thumbsup:

I will be running a Boxxer WC.Large frame, 6'3", 215# Anyone have any time/feedback on a RS vivid with this frame? The one I demo'd had RC4 which felt ok but I have been fox free for quite a while.

Anyone run a vivid or other shocks have any feedback?

Thanks. Happy New Year!

·
Takin'er easy
184 Posts
No experience on that bike in particular, but I have to say that the Fox RC4 is a superior product in our experience. Of course, if you're keen on keeping "fox-free" than by all means, go for the dream.

In our experience, the after-market Vivid shocks are very stiff, meaning way over-damped. By design, the 303rDH is very linear in the way it uses its travel. Combine the two, and you may lose some small-bump sensitivity, making it harder for the rear wheel to track the ground in choppy terrain. Of course, without riding the bike myself, and without knowing anyone who has tested this particular combination, what I say is purely speculation.

Yeti and Fox have a very close relationship when it comes to R&D, so that bike was certainly designed with the Fox shock in mind, and that shock was designed with feedback from the 303rDH.

·
Breaking parts
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bikesaregood said:
No experience on that bike in particular, but I have to say that the Fox RC4 is a superior product in our experience. Of course, if you're keen on keeping "fox-free" than by all means, go for the dream.

In our experience, the after-market Vivid shocks are very stiff, meaning way over-damped. By design, the 303rDH is very linear in the way it uses its travel. Combine the two, and you may lose some small-bump sensitivity, making it harder for the rear wheel to track the ground in choppy terrain. Of course, without riding the bike myself, and without knowing anyone who has tested this particular combination, what I say is purely speculation.

Yeti and Fox have a very close relationship when it comes to R&D, so that bike was certainly designed with the Fox shock in mind, and that shock was designed with feedback from the 303rDH.
Thanks for the feedback. I have not spent time on new fox products so I am not oppossed to trying especially with the Yeti/Fox relationship. I have heard that the RC4 is a big step forward from previous products. I have had a hard time finding anyone who has ridden anything other than Fox on this bike. Maybe thats my answer right there on what shock to use.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm pretty happy with the RC4 on my 303R. I don't have any experience with the Vivid so I can't make a comparison. Try asking on RM. You might get more replies there.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I bought mine before they switched to the RC4. However, the DHX 5.0 that came with the frame is tuned perfectly it - that's the first time I can say that for any frame I've ever had that came with a DHX. I'd have to assume the tune for the RC4 would match just as well.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Tuning...

Not sure what kind of tuning they do with the RC4 from a stock retail purchase shock. THAT was what was on my 303R when you rode it, so maybe they make some tweaks to make it just a bit better. Not sure, when I finally got it dialed in, it was great for me.

·
Registered
664 Posts
esquire said:
Not sure what kind of tuning they do with the RC4 from a stock retail purchase shock. THAT was what was on my 303R when you rode it, so maybe they make some tweaks to make it just a bit better. Not sure, when I finally got it dialed in, it was great for me.
I talked to Yeti about this, the RC4 sold stock on the frame is valved (most likely via shim stack and preload spring) for the 303R. Fox will sell you the same shock but you have to specify it when you order (likely built to order).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts