Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Comandante arrived today - UPS surprised me and got it here a day early. Like konacoffee I took Sherwood's advice and added a head tube gussett and El Salt top tube to accomodate a 100mm fork. Also had Sherwood use the same cable stop arrangement as the Padrino in the event I want to run with gears sometime.

I have to say that I am VERY happy with the Grinch Green. As with all Ventana colors, pictures just don't do it justice. Very cool!

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
rigid!!

You gotta try a rigid ventana fork on that baby!! one bike with gears and squish, and one rigid and fasssst!! you would be suprised on how nice the bike rides rigid, i have an el commandante and el padrino, both rigid!! tried a reba, maverick sc, even a lefty!! always came back to the rigid.

mark

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
AOK said:
The captain and the commander....
That is the best 1,2 punch in all of bikedom...what more could you need? Including the color combo.

I love my El Comandante. The thing is beyond belief.

Have there been breakages with a 100mm fork, in bikes without the unreinforced TT and gusset?

My bike was purchased used, and lacks the above, and I am running it at 100mm. Once sagged, the difference in fork length is only 10-15mm. Just wondering if I am taking some major risk here or something?

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Sweet!! Can't believe it arrived that quickly. Especially cool since it was with a weekend coming up so Friday delivery instead of Monday. Very rare that I see that happen with UPS. Enjoy the new rig!

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd really like to know the exact reasons behind the customizations as well! Why is this necessary? I'm looking into an El Comandante myself, first planning to run it rigid I guess, but maybe with suspension fork later on. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Enel said:
Have there been breakages with a 100mm fork, in bikes without the unreinforced TT and gusset?
I would ask Sherwood about this. When I started asking Sherwood about running with 100mm, he recommended that I get the wraparound head tube gusset. Then at the last minute, he called Larry and also recommended the El Salt top tube. I couldn't tell you all the reasons for this, I just know to trust Sherwood. ;)

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LoneStar said:
Great looking bike! Of course you will have to provide a full first impressions ride report soon.
I had a short, very muddy ride yesterday. The Comandante was a blast! :thumbsup:

Handling was fantastic (even with the 100mm fork), acceleration was otherworldly, and I agree with Enel and others who have mentioned how well this bike descents. I was also impressed with the frame's compliance. The ride wasn't any more harsh than the steel hard tails I have owned.

My sore legs spent the morning reminding me that it has been over a year since I rode a SSer. I guess the Capitan has been making me soft. :D

I thought I heard some frame rub on the rear tire... has anyone else had this problem running Rampages? Rear clearance is a little bit tighter than I expected. I need to do a closer check today to confirm that this is what I was hearing.

·