Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... Has anyone tried it? I called the bike shop in LaGrange and they said you don't need studded tires right now because of all of the snow. Does this sound right? I haven't ridden there in the snow before and wanted to give it a try. I don't have studded tires, but I don't want to ask for trouble heading up there with my Bonty Jones ACX tires.

Any other advice?

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
tadbubbs said:
... Has anyone tried it? I called the bike shop in LaGrange and they said you don't need studded tires right now because of all of the snow. Does this sound right? I haven't ridden there in the snow before and wanted to give it a try. I don't have studded tires, but I don't want to ask for trouble heading up there with my Bonty Jones ACX tires.

Any other advice?
You'll be fine...studded tires really only provide a benefit on ice, not snow. Give it a go on your ACXs...if they don't work too well, pick up a pair of the fattest tires you can fit in your frame and run them low pressure. I'd think that the new WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55" tires would be great for the snow around here...assuming you don't have a Pugsley and can't run the Endomorph tires.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I've been skiing accross the street at the Nordic Trails this week and there's about 4 or 5 inches of snow on the ground in the Kettles. The Muir trail will probably be partially compacted from hiker and snowshoe use, but it will still likely be slow going.

I just wasn't sure by your post if you were familiar with riding in snow or not. If not, you may want to take a quick ride in the snow in a nearby park before traveling to the kettles (assuming you have to travel some distance to the kettles) just to make sure you know what you are getting yourself into. Some riders love it, but it's not for everyone.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
What?

fanghasyou said:
So this place is open to bikes for riding?
What do you mean Fang? He's talking about the John Muir trails at Kettles. They're open all winter unless it's too wet...they usually close in the spring while it's thawing out. If it's cold (and the surface is snow covered or frozen) they're open to ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice, all. I have not ridden single-track in the snow before. I figured I'd try a short loop first to see what I'm getting into.

The bike trails are currently open for riding. You can always call 262-594-6202 for the status. You'll get a lot of info on the XC ski trails, but at the end he'll tell you whether the bike trails are open.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.