Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend sent this over. I don't John Fisher (yet) but he looks like a great guy. He's got very young kids too.

If you know him, please post and let us know what's going on.

fc

------------

Darrell Wong / The Fresno Bee
John Fisher, 42, broke his neck Saturday in a skiing accident at Sierra Summit.
Cycling champ breaks neck downhill skiing
Brother describes John Fisher as an 'expert' skier.
By Marek Warszawski / The Fresno Bee
01/22/07 05:01:22

ADVERTISMENT​

A three-time national mountain biking champion from Oakhurst broke his neck in a downhill skiing accident Saturday at Sierra Summit.
John Fisher, 42, fractured a cervical vertebrae as a result of a slow-speed crash near the bottom of the mountain while on his way to meet three family members for lunch, his brother said.
Mark Fisher said his brother was airlifted to University Medical Center in Fresno, where he remains in intensive care.
"It's just a freak thing," Mark Fisher said in a telephone interview Sunday. "He even told the Ski Patrol: 'I can't believe I got so hurt going so slow.' But he didn't know who he was either.
"Over 24 hours later, I'm still blown away this happened," Mark Fisher added.
A fixture in the local cycling community, John Fisher grew up in Fresno and Clovis and attended Clovis West High.
Before Fisher traveled to the World Mountain Biking Championships in British Columbia last summer, friends held two fundraisers to help cover his expenses. A three-time downhill national champion in the expert class, Fisher would go on to finish second at the worlds.
Mark Fisher described his brother as an "expert" skier who has been visiting Sierra Summit for decades.
Fisher lost all feeling and movement in his body as a result of the accident but regained limited movement in his arms Sunday, his brother said.
"All we can do right now is pray for him," Mark Fisher said. "It could get better or it could get worse."

Attachments

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
francois said:
A good friend sent this over. I don't John Fisher (yet) but he looks like a great guy. He's got very young kids too.

If you know him, please post and let us know what's going on.

fc

------------

Darrell Wong / The Fresno Bee
John Fisher, 42, broke his neck Saturday in a skiing accident at Sierra Summit.
Cycling champ breaks neck downhill skiing
Brother describes John Fisher as an 'expert' skier.
By Marek Warszawski / The Fresno Bee
01/22/07 05:01:22

ADVERTISMENT​

A three-time national mountain biking champion from Oakhurst broke his neck in a downhill skiing accident Saturday at Sierra Summit.
John Fisher, 42, fractured a cervical vertebrae as a result of a slow-speed crash near the bottom of the mountain while on his way to meet three family members for lunch, his brother said.
Mark Fisher said his brother was airlifted to University Medical Center in Fresno, where he remains in intensive care.
"It's just a freak thing," Mark Fisher said in a telephone interview Sunday. "He even told the Ski Patrol: 'I can't believe I got so hurt going so slow.' But he didn't know who he was either.
"Over 24 hours later, I'm still blown away this happened," Mark Fisher added.
A fixture in the local cycling community, John Fisher grew up in Fresno and Clovis and attended Clovis West High.
Before Fisher traveled to the World Mountain Biking Championships in British Columbia last summer, friends held two fundraisers to help cover his expenses. A three-time downhill national champion in the expert class, Fisher would go on to finish second at the worlds.
Mark Fisher described his brother as an "expert" skier who has been visiting Sierra Summit for decades.
Fisher lost all feeling and movement in his body as a result of the accident but regained limited movement in his arms Sunday, his brother said.
"All we can do right now is pray for him," Mark Fisher said. "It could get better or it could get worse."
Uggg,

I hate to hear these things. I actually learnt of this while on a business trip to Fresno this last Monday. Not certain if my customer knew the dude or not. Brings back memories of Josh Davidson.

As the article says - pray for John.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hi guys, John is a friend of mine. He is doing much better according to some friends that have had the time to go visit him. Sounds like he is reagaining much of the use of his arms and hands (not full use). He has been moved to a rehabilitaion facility in Santa Clara.
You can find updates (although not that detailed) on a myspace page that his family set up. http://myspace.com/johnglennfisher

I appreciate your concern! It's neat to know that we (mt bikers) are all pulling for each other.

Are you guys near Fresno? I read someone was in town on Business?

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
pumpkinbiter said:
Hi guys, John is a friend of mine. He is doing much better according to some friends that have had the time to go visit him. Sounds like he is reagaining much of the use of his arms and hands (not full use). He has been moved to a rehabilitaion facility in Santa Clara.
You can find updates (although not that detailed) on a myspace page that his family set up. http://myspace.com/johnglennfisher

I appreciate your concern! It's neat to know that we (mt bikers) are all pulling for each other.

Are you guys near Fresno? I read someone was in town on Business?
Hey PB.

We all help each other out, and commiserate when a rider's down. John's injury is just what each of us fear happening to ouselves and each other.

We're glad to hear he's coming along, and pray his recovery continues. I'm in the 559 weekly, on business. Going to Visalia tomorrow, matter of fact.

Please keep us updated on John's recovery, and know there's a whole family of MTB'ers out there pulling for him!:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.