Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to mechanical problems with their plane and storms near Philadelphia, John and two downhillers with the USA Cycling Club were stranded at the airport overnight. Fortunately John's mom is traveling with them and she got them on a flight to London from where I got her call this morning at 8:30. She called because they have been separated from their luggage and their bikes and engaged me to track them down. I had no luck as the final destination carrier is held responsible.
I got a call from Mom at about noon and they had arrived in Munich but no luggage and she filed a claim. We talked and I encouraged her to send the boys ahead to hook up with USA Cycling and spend whatever it costs. This is where our fundraising was, and is, so important. Getting to the starting line is not always a simple affair and our expenses just went up. I am so glad the community supported our desire to send an adult along with John.

We continue to ask for support from the cycling community as this cluster-bleep will be expensive.

·
wanna dance?
1,074 Posts
Wow, that is some bad juju.

Surely a team there can swing an extra bike. ? It's an opportunity to get another rider out on the field on your sponsors kit. It's like getting another rider for a race, for the price of maintenance.

If he's gotten this far largely on the kindness of strangers, someone should recognize he's worth lending a ride to.

In this sport, many a legend have been made on borrowed bikes and the encouragement of friends.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We discussed this scenario before he left.

"What if you lose your bike?" The look on his face was priceless but it made the point. He is at least one good step closer to being ready to handle this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts