Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just because I'm wondering kind of question. Why is it that Shimano rear der. has a top pulley that "floats". I have a SRAM and a Campy rear der.s that have "fixed"/nonfloating pulleys. I also have a SunRace rear der. that both upper and lower pulleys "float" But on my Shimano der.s the upper one "floats" and the bottom one is fixed. Why is this? Which system works better? Can I swap the top pulley for a bottom and vise versa?

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The floating pulley helps the chain move either up or down the cassette depending which way the pressure is being applied either by spring or finger. No, you can't swap top to bottom or visaversa.
TimT said:
Just because I'm wondering kind of question. Why is it that Shimano rear der. has a top pulley that "floats". I have a SRAM and a Campy rear der.s that have "fixed"/nonfloating pulleys. I also have a SunRace rear der. that both upper and lower pulleys "float" But on my Shimano der.s the upper one "floats" and the bottom one is fixed. Why is this? Which system works better? Can I swap the top pulley for a bottom and vise versa?

Thanks
Tim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.