Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Single Speed Junkie
Joined
·
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an offer in Carson City NV and Minneapolis MN doing the same type of work. Problem is that the one in NV pays 20% less than the one in MN and we are talking starting salaries here, nothing impressive. I love to ride and if it were just me the decision is easy, but I have a family to think about. In MN it is a large defense contractor, which would provide some DoD experience and a security clearance along with reimbursing for a masters degree. NV place is a smaller organization that has a great team of individuals to work with and they would cover the cost of a masters up front, along with the climate, trails, etc. So which one would you go with?
 

·
BLS439
Joined
·
529 Posts
crux said:
Got an offer in Carson City NV and Minneapolis MN doing the same type of work. Problem is that the one in NV pays 20% less than the one in MN and we are talking starting salaries here, nothing impressive. I love to ride and if it were just me the decision is easy, but I have a family to think about. In MN it is a large defense contractor, which would provide some DoD experience and a security clearance along with reimbursing for a masters degree. NV place is a smaller organization that has a great team of individuals to work with and they would cover the cost of a masters up front, along with the climate, trails, etc. So which one would you go with?
Is the cost of living 20% lower in NV than MN? Do benefits (insurance, sick time, vacation time, holiday time, comp time, etc) in NV make up for the 20% lower pay? Could your provide your family with better opportunities in one or the other? How about asking your family where they would like to live and explain to them the pros/cons of each. I think this needs to be a family decision, not yours. As, you say this is an important decision!

Good Luck!

--BLS439
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
crux said:
Got an offer in Carson City NV and Minneapolis MN doing the same type of work. Problem is that the one in NV pays 20% less than the one in MN and we are talking starting salaries here, nothing impressive. I love to ride and if it were just me the decision is easy, but I have a family to think about. In MN it is a large defense contractor, which would provide some DoD experience and a security clearance along with reimbursing for a masters degree. NV place is a smaller organization that has a great team of individuals to work with and they would cover the cost of a masters up front, along with the climate, trails, etc. So which one would you go with?
Do you like MN? Or do you really want to get out of there? Can you survive on the lesser salary? Does 20% mean you can't get the Lexus this year, or does it mean ramen noodles? I'm not one to give financial advice (you wouldn't want it from me anyways) but I say life is short, so do something good with it. You'll be old before you know it. Follow your instincts. If NV offers you a substantially better lifestyle (all things considered) then the answer is easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
Great quality of life in MN

Can't help you on comparing the job offers but can comment on Minnesota. I moved to the Minneapolis area in '95... my family and I have really come to like it here. One of the primary reasons I like Minnesota is the biking... its got pretty much any type of riding you might want and there is a large biking community here (mix of mtbers and roadies). Plus, if you are an outdoor type in general, you can't beat that scene in MN: lakes, forests, hiking, fishing, snowmobiling, etc.. The cool thing is that you've got all this wilderness nearby, yet have a city the size of Minneapolis (2.5M for Twin Cities area) that offers most of what you might want on that side of the ledger. The winters are cold but not as bad as TV/movies would have you think and at least there is snow on the ground vs. cold and grey like some places. Here are a couple of links you might be interested in:

http://www.visi.com/~tam/mtb.html
http://home.mn.rr.com/wagger/mnbiktrail.html

Sounds like you have a couple of good options, so you can't really go wrong. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Desert or Forest?

Can't give you advice on finances, but I can talk riding.

MN isn't a bad place to live. Especially the metro. Great city with lots to do. The best riding in the state is in the metro area, so I think you could be happy riding there. Lots of bugs, logs, swamps and trees in MN. If that is your thing, come on up. Check out http://www.morcmtb.org/

That said, it's hard to beat the solitude of the desert. If you would rather prefer the isolated life with sand and rocks. go NV.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,974 Posts
Although Carson City sounds appealing, the Job in Minneapolis sounds like it has far more long term potential. I would be willing to bet that with the DOD experience, security clearance, and a Masters Degree that you would have far more options to move in the future, as well as much better earning potential. In 5 years, I would also bet that you could get a job in Carson City with the above credentials, but could not go the other direction. If it were me, I would stick it out in Minneapolis for a few years. Remember, money isn't everything, but it sure makes life easier.
 

·
Don't worry, be happy!
Joined
·
8,141 Posts
When we moved 14 years ago now, we took at least a 10% pay cut. But, we gained, 30-40% lower housing costs, better schools, cheaper utilities and insurance, mountains & great outdoors, no commute... 4 seasons vs wet/dry....lots of factors to this equation.

consider also, weather, size of community, flavor of community, etc.

Carson City is just outside of Reno which is down the road from Lake Tahoe and the Sierra. I know what I would pick.

formica
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
check out the taxes (or better put, the lack thereof) in Nevada ;)

also, tahoe is "right over the hill" from Carson City, and Carson City is a lot closer to tahoe than Reno is as well...
 

·
Absurd
Joined
·
919 Posts
I know housing in carson city is pretty cheep, but hey who says you you have to live there to work there? You could live in the Tahoe basin and have a 30-40 min commute. I would say it's probably a much better envrionment to raise a family in then the city. Either one will have you driving through snow at one point, right? Come on....Northstar baby!!!!!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
MVRIDER said:
I know housing in carson city is pretty cheep, but hey who says you you have to live there to work there? You could live in the Tahoe basin and have a 30-40 min commute. I would say it's probably a much better envrionment to raise a family in then the city. Either one will have you driving through snow at one point, right? Come on....Northstar baby!!!!!!!
Well, the housing in the tahoe basin is very much "not cheap", dramatically different in fact. It would be cool to live in the basin, but being realistic, probably not pratical.

Still, there are options there. There is some good winter riding up around reno supposedly as well. As for MN though...lol, you get some good (hot and muggy) summer riding, then it freezes over for 5 months....:D, Not to mention that you are pretty far from varied riding in MN, but living in Carson City you can skip down to Mammoth, or go to some Norcal destinations, Downieville is close, etc....
 

·
Absurd
Joined
·
919 Posts
Jm. said:
Well, the housing in the tahoe basin is very much "not cheap", dramatically different in fact. It would be cool to live in the basin, but being realistic, probably not pratical.
Yea, I guess that's probably the truth about the basin it self. Still, I bet you could get a house up the hill on the eastern slope for less than $250K, and you'd still have real trees :D ! I think the area might be a good investment as well. I know a guy who is kicking himself for selling his house in Gardenerville ( about 20 miles south of Carson ) 2.5 years ago for a little more than 150, now houses in the area are going for 250.
 

·
mtbr member
Joined
·
29 Posts
CDMC said:
Although Carson City sounds appealing, the Job in Minneapolis sounds like it has far more long term potential. I would be willing to bet that with the DOD experience, security clearance, and a Masters Degree that you would have far more options to move in the future, as well as much better earning potential. In 5 years, I would also bet that you could get a job in Carson City with the above credentials, but could not go the other direction. If it were me, I would stick it out in Minneapolis for a few years. Remember, money isn't everything, but it sure makes life easier.
I agree with taking a long-term perspective on impact of the move. However, having worked in the defense/aerospace industry for several years (doing DoD, top secret work,etc.), keep in mind that the industry is very cyclical. Defense is hot right now, but in 5-10 years, it may not be, especially if there is an administration change (in which case, it could get cold real quick). Also, the security clearance doesn't transfer very well because they are issued for different levels, departments, and last a limited amount of time. For me at least, DoD experience and a security clearance did absolutely nothing for my marketability in getting new jobs. They sound great on paper, but the private sector simply doesn't give much value to them. Bottom line, if the other job is private sector, it may give you better mobility.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,974 Posts
That master's degree still gives you a leg up. JM does make a very good point that I forgot, Nevada has no State Income Tax, so factor that into your equation. Also another thing to look at is that Nevada Universities are heavily subsidized for residents of the State (thanks to Las Vegas). You may be able to get your masters very inexpensively from University of Nevada at Reno, and if you have children approaching College age, they could go there or UNLV. While not Harvard, they are both respectable schools and they can always go to Grad school somewhere else.
 

·
Absurd
Joined
·
919 Posts
CDMC said:
That master's degree still gives you a leg up. JM does make a very good point that I forgot, Nevada has no State Income Tax, so factor that into your equation. Also another thing to look at is that Nevada Universities are heavily subsidized for residents of the State (thanks to Las Vegas). You may be able to get your masters very inexpensively from University of Nevada at Reno, and if you have children approaching College age, they could go there or UNLV. While not Harvard, they are both respectable schools and they can always go to Grad school somewhere else.
Hey, where in this post is "Sidi" mentioned? :confused:, yet still we get the advertisement at the bottom! The only place I can find it is in the word "subsidized". Man, talk about a SHAMELESS plug!!! :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,023 Posts
When making career decisions

crux said:
Got an offer in Carson City NV and Minneapolis MN doing the same type of work. Problem is that the one in NV pays 20% less than the one in MN and we are talking starting salaries here, nothing impressive. I love to ride and if it were just me the decision is easy, but I have a family to think about. In MN it is a large defense contractor, which would provide some DoD experience and a security clearance along with reimbursing for a masters degree. NV place is a smaller organization that has a great team of individuals to work with and they would cover the cost of a masters up front, along with the climate, trails, etc. So which one would you go with?
Riding would be far down my list. There's so many more important things to consider. Do you have kids? How long do you intend to stay? Do you intend to rent or own? Which job has more long term potential, both advancement within the company and experience if/when you move on? As far as school systems are concerned Minnesota is hands down better than Nevada in K-12. As far as a Masters for you I'd consider what your opportunities are to actually use the company's schooling benefit. Lots to choose from in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Can the same be said in Nevada (I don't know)? There are lots of 'burbs and smaller towns around the Twin Cities if you don't dig the city life or want a smaller school experience for the kids. Family finances are something you and your wife have to figure out. Riding? Well that wouldn't even be on my radar screen when choosing a job. Either place has good riding opportunities and can satisfy just about anyone. Probably better in Nevada but not bad in Minnesota and Wisconsin either. Wisconsin has one of the best racing series in the nation, WORS.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top