Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Joaquin Miller

3K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  pimpbot 
#1 ·
Just a reminder that hikers and runner occasionally do use Cinderella. Rather surprisingly when going down yesterday, I first ran into two women running up Cinderella (fortunately, I was able to stop before them so they could continue by without having to stop or get pushed out of the way) and then on the new lower section, a man walking two dogs up. Both were courteous and said hello, but keep in mind that there are occasionally people walking on the trail.

As to the three asshats who decided to bomb down Palos Colorados after Big Trees, shame on you. It was 6:00 in the afternoon, there were hikers that saw you head down, and it is impossible to miss the sign that says "no bikes". Its not like the guys were out of technical challenges, my 10 year old had to slow down going down Big Trees because they weren't going fast enough.

Reactions: iheartbicycles
#2 ·
Just a reminder that hikers and runner occasionally do use Cinderella. Rather surprisingly when going down yesterday, I first ran into two women running up Cinderella (fortunately, I was able to stop before them so they could continue by without having to stop or get pushed out of the way) and then on the new lower section, a man walking two dogs up. Both were courteous and said hello, but keep in mind that there are occasionally people walking on the trail.

As to the three asshats who decided to bomb down Palos Colorados after Big Trees, shame on you. It was 6:00 in the afternoon, there were hikers that saw you head down, and it is impossible to miss the sign that says "no bikes". Its not like the guys were out of technical challenges, my 10 year old had to slow down going down Big Trees because they weren't going fast enough.
Thanks for the stern reprimand. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy getting bossed around by some dude on the interwebs.

#19 ·
I am so glad I am not you. It would really suck being so miserable that I spent a great deal of my time and energy looking for people to argue with on the internet.

PC above Sinawik is legal. Below it's not. Upper PC @ Big trees is a technical descent that you cant really crawl down. My understanding is that upper PC is to be closed pretty soon.
As of last week there is a big sign at the top of PC saying no bikes. I assume the park put it there as it is a wood sign on 4x4s.

Reactions: Axe
#3 ·

I thought this was pretty cool.

First we get a reminder that other folk use the trails in places where we often ride at speed. And folks were courteous. It has taken 27 years to create that since we were first banned from that park. It is proof that it can be done.

Next Cary reveals that some guys just don't get it. It is no-brainer that riding closed trails is not encouraged. I like to think that this is a reprimand for doing it in front of so many people at the busiest time of usage and being just plain stupid. ;)

#5 ·
I thought this was pretty cool.

First we get a reminder that other folk use the trails in places where we often ride at speed.
COOL!

There's only 2,200 other trails in the bay area left to create a paternalistic thread about.

Please post up regarding;

Annadel

Mount Diablo

Tilden

Rockville

Etc, etc

The masses need herding!

#4 ·
For some reason lots of people think that bombing any and all trails at JMP during an after work hammer session or on a Saturday afternoon is a cool and safe way to burn off some steam.

For better or worse, there are more and more users at JMP now than ever (been riding there since I moved to the Bay Area from the Cruz in 2003). It only takes one or two near injury experiences (to either yourself or said hikers/runners) before most sane riders will realize that the rush of a PR/KOM attempt is not worth the potential risk at such a popular place as JMP.

Eventually, there will probably need to be more cycling regulations at JMP (ie downhill/uphill only trails, etc) but for now let's take care of our trails and ride them in a way that promotes our use of it.

Sorry for the rant...

#18 ·
Yup, that upper section of Palos is legal and is totally fun to drop into immediately after hitting big trees. Fun yes, easy no.... I'm always apprehensive about pinning it down any of the JMP trails if its anywhere near hiker o'clock. lot of blind corners...

#7 ·
East Bay riding has little to recommend it if you stay on what has been allowed us but BTCEB studies show that most of the riding done happens in one's local EBRPD Park. The parks are largely proximate locations where we can go out and stay in shape with the rare few yards of something interesting.

The next place people in our area go, at the very top of the list, is JMP. Next are the obvious Marin locations, then Rockville/Skyline/Annadel, then Skeggs/Demo.

JMP is the only place we have to do anything interesting for mountain biking. That includes riding, trail building and maintenance. It is arguably the flashpoint for the beginnings of mtb advocacy in 1987 and has continued to be a very sensitive political circumstance that we have managed to considerable success.

JMP is urban park which it shares with a very large proportion of walkers, runners, and dogs. It does not have the open space of Rockville, Skyline, Annadel, Skeggs, or Demo and requires a special attention. There are other people to herd those areas. JMP is the one we must watch in the East Bay.

#8 ·
Uh, the top part of Palos Colorados, below Big Trees, is bike legal. Or at least it was last time I was there a month ago. That part is a bit tricky but fun.

#9 · (Edited)
I was pedaling up to burned out cabin yesterday and saw some dude bombing Cinderella without regard to uphill traffic. He was wearing full face helmet and GOPRO, full long sleeve downhill padded jersey, and matching Downhill long fox pants. And it was hot on the sun side. What a douche! A douche bag. Picture in your mind what that is for. You douche! Many are faster on hard tails in Spandex. Park abuser I say. Off with your head! Anyway, I was Rollin' on the 5 Spot since I was too burned out for the Singlespeed Hardtail after a long work week, and mid week Stinkfist run. Park was pretty busy for mid day (2pm), so I had to use the bike bell waaaaay to much, and yield to joggers/hikers. So I dialed it down a bit, and just had a chill ride, without pissing anyone off. Sometimes you have to slow it down man. Or at least send someone down first to make sure it is cool to bomb. You selfish A-hole whoever you are (or is it whomever?). Save us all a headache and drive your car away from here to ride that style. It was a nice day to get off early, I must say. Just fantastic out there.

#10 ·
I was pedaling up to burned out cabin yesterday and saw some dude bombing Cinderella without regard to uphill traffic. He was wearing full face helmet and GOPRO, full long sleeve downhill padded jersey, and matching Downhill long fox pants.
You're really gonna criticize someones' choice in riding apparel? I'm sure there are faster people out there "on hart tails in Spandex" ......Why knock a guy for trying to protect himself? Just because he's bombing down a trail, doesn't mean he's riding out of control.

#11 ·
I've seen this sort of thing many times when I used to ride at JMP (it's almost too crowded to ride there anymore) - group of riders in full faces / full pads / neon TLD kits - it's fun to pass them down Cinderella or Chaparral on an XC bike when they are skidding on their brakes - not there is anything wrong with having a lot of protection, but chances are anybody who really knows how to ride DH is not going to show up to JMP looking like this - they are usually slow riders, but the main problem is that they usually have no have clue regarding etiquette so they just expect hikers to get out of their way

#17 ·
Upper Palos is still open. I actually ride up it (try to) more often than down. I was riding through the park yesterday at the end of my ride and rode past a couple groups of full face/coilover riders. Based on their sloooowww pace, one group was definitely overdressed/biked for big trees. The others were riding/pushing their bikes out Sinewak(sp?) towards Bishop's. They all seemed friendly to me and my riding buddy and yielded to traffic when we came upon them.

As I see it, we are all in this together, so I just assume that when I hit the local trails on the weekend, I dial my supreme wattage down proportionately to the relative ratio of miniature dogs/humans : bikes. :p

Having said that, I do often wonder the choice of trails to hit as a jogger/hiker/dog walker when across the road you have the arguably more beautiful and serene hiker/horse only Fern, French, Chown and other trails.

#25 ·
BOOOOO!

I ride JMP 3 times a week because it is so close and convenient and I have a pretty good loop worked out.

This is really a sad development. Having spent the past decade mainly on the road out here and on trails in Austin (when work took me there), I have really lost touch with just how much of a hot-button issue trail-access is in the Bay Area. Maybe the areas of the country where the popularity of the sport caught on well after the public relations growing pains were hashed out, and an advocacy policy was established have fared better in keeping the trails safely in the legal arena for riders. It seems to be a cultural phenomena in the Bay Area to have an adverse reaction to the words mountain biker. Other areas I have ridden throughout the country, or state for that matter, seem less freaked out by us.

That has been my experience, I am sure others have had other experiences.

#26 ·
Early reports are that new signage was planned for lower PC. The current placement only makes sense if these were mispositioned.

The new Superintendent of JMP is less closely connected to the park than Martin, who formerly held this post. We have emails into him. Will report back.

#30 ·
They took away our Redwood Hillclimbs motorcycle / OHV area, so closures do happen.
(still waiting for the replacement area... 35 years later.). 8-(

If you're going to poach, have a look out that rides ahead.
Stupid people are the ones tht get busted. Then we all pay the price.
Not that I'm endorsing poaching trails.

#33 ·
You are just endorsing not being stupid ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, like I see folks there parking their cars right at the entrances with bike racks on, hanging out, getting their gear together in plain view right at the trailheads.... Not exactly being subtle about it. The one instance of somebody being busted for night riding at JMP, the ranger/cop/whatever basically hung out by the car and tagged the rider when he came back at the end of the ride.

Not that I would ever endorse illegal night riding in a public forum, mind you. No, never.

BTW, when I was riding there yesterday, the 'No Bicycles' sign was still there at the top of Upper PC at the Sequoia Bayview/Big Trees trail junction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.