Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jm's Facebook page is bragging on his new 29er, but there aren't any more details in there. So fess up, big guy -- what are you getting? And when will you get it?

Looking forward to the technical reports in excruciating detail!

p.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,584 Posts
Yeah, well I thought it would be cool to show up to a ride with a new bike, but that plan now has about as much worth as a Ford Excursion. Delivery has been rescheduled for Monday..oh well.

The bike shop had this crazy nice Lemond Poprad that I had wanted for some time, but I never really had the free cash to buy it. I was thinking of it kind of seriously, but then I got to thinking, I don't live far from where I work, and I could commute on a 29" mtb just fine, so that became my plan, put together a relatively inexpensive 29er for commuting and trails. At first I wanted to keep the cost way down, but since I was piecing it together from QBP for essentially cost, I decided to go a little further (asking myself questions like, "when else am I going to find a reba 29er for $260?"). I had wanted an El-Mariachi, but that turned out to be a little pricier than I wanted, so I went with a blue Karate Monkey.

Built up with;
Hone dual-control shift/brake levers
LX disc brakes
LX cranks
LX derailer
Ultegra 12-27 cassette
FSA stem and bar
Thompson seatpost
Selle San Marco arrow-something saddle
XT disc hubs with velocity blunt rims
Exiwolf tires
CC S3 headset
Reba SL
I'll put my legeaters on it at first probably, but I have some 545s that are waiting for end-cap assemblys and then I'll probably put them on.

As it stands it will be a bit below 27lbs, which is nearly 10lbs ligher than my current ride. I think it will be a relative rocket in terms of speed on the trail, simply because I will go a lot faster with less effort. The last few times I've ridden a light hardtail it felt like I didn't have to exert at all, and I still felt fresh at the end of the rides. In any case I'll be using it largely for commuting, and I'll probably switch out the tires later, or just take the hit and keep those type of tires on it.

It's also the only logical mtb choice, why get a DH bike when my 6pack does 95% of that stuff and I can ride it through that terrain just fine? With the avalanche shock I can drop off a house if I need to. Lightweight 26" XC bike? Dumb for commuting and won't handle much adverse terrain. "All mountain"? Pfft, my 6pack is way more mountain. 29 FS? No, keep it simple stupid, and my 6pack rocks through technical stuff already. Steel 29 HT is definitely the way to go here, and while a roadbike of some sort would be a better choice, I wouldn't use it for anything but commuting and I'd still only have one bike for trails

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Jayem said:
Yeah, well I thought it would be cool to show up to a ride with a new bike, but that plan now has about as much worth as a Ford Excursion. Delivery has been rescheduled for Monday..oh well.

The bike shop had this crazy nice Lemond Poprad that I had wanted for some time, but I never really had the free cash to buy it. I was thinking of it kind of seriously, but then I got to thinking, I don't live far from where I work, and I could commute on a 29" mtb just fine, so that became my plan, put together a relatively inexpensive 29er for commuting and trails. At first I wanted to keep the cost way down, but since I was piecing it together from QBP for essentially cost, I decided to go a little further (asking myself questions like, "when else am I going to find a reba 29er for $260?"). I had wanted an El-Mariachi, but that turned out to be a little pricier than I wanted, so I went with a blue Karate Monkey.

Built up with;
LX disc brakes
LX cranks
LX derailer
Ultegra 12-27 cassette
FSA stem and bar
Thompson seatpost
Exiwolf tires
CC S3 headset
Reba SL
I'll put my legeaters on it at first probably, but I have some 545s that are waiting for end-cap assemblys and then I'll probably put them on.

As it stands it will be a bit below 27lbs, which is nearly 10lbs ligher than my current ride. I think it will be a relative rocket in terms of speed on the trail, simply because I will go a lot faster with less effort. The last few times I've ridden a light hardtail it felt like I didn't have to exert at all, and I still felt fresh at the end of the rides. In any case I'll be using it largely for commuting, and I'll probably switch out the tires later, or just take the hit and keep those type of tires on it.

It's also the only logical mtb choice, why get a DH bike when my 6pack does 95% of that stuff and I can ride it through that terrain just fine? With the avalanche shock I can drop off a house if I need to. Lightweight 26" XC bike? Dumb for commuting and won't handle much adverse terrain. "All mountain"? Pfft, my 6pack is way more mountain. 29 FS? No, keep it simple stupid, and my 6pack rocks through technical stuff already. Steel 29 HT is definitely the way to go here, and while a roadbike of some sort would be a better choice, I wouldn't use it for anything but commuting and I'd still only have one bike for trails
coolio. post up how it treats ya! i'm in the same boat looking for a mostly-commuter and light duty fast efficient bike for no dang mo-nay.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
chollaball said:
coolio. post up how it treats ya! i'm in the same boat looking for a mostly-commuter and light duty fast efficient bike for no dang mo-nay.
My Salsa dos Niner is now my dedicated commuter bike. I keep a big chain ring on it for the pavement and can still take Desert Classic for half my commute. This week I posted a new personal best on the home-to-Pima Canyon section of my commute - 16 minutes down from 18!! Yes, this bike flies. It was the perfect bike for Flight of the Pigs (and will be again next year) and is the perfect bike for my commute to work.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
Jayem said:

Built up with;
LX disc brakes
LX cranks
LX derailer
Ultegra 12-27 cassette
FSA stem and bar
Thompson seatpost
Exiwolf tires
CC S3 headset
Reba SL

Congrats on the new bike! I did the same thing except opposite in Dec. I had the rocket (dos Niner) but needed the boingy all mountain bike (Lenz moth). My roadie is still hanging with flat tires waiting for some attention in 2008. see you tomorrow!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.