Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Santa was very good to me this year! Jones Ti Diamond frame with Vicious Steel fork and Paul 135mm Fat Front Hub. My wife said I had been very good this year and offered to let me add a new sleigh (I will need to loose one of the others) to the collection. After a great and very informative phone conversation with the elf from Medford, OR, the order was placed.

I went with the Steel fork for a couple of reasons. First, I was not 100% sure the Fat Front thing would be for me and the Vicious seemed like a better way to try it out. I figured that if I really liked it, I would order a Ti replacement and put this one on another bike. I went with the Diamond frame, because as beautiful as the Space Frame is, I prefer the more traditional lines (and there was the additional $1000).

So far I only have a couple rides on the bike, but I love it! I normally ride a frame with a 24" TT, but after talking with Jeff, went with the 23". The first time I sat on the bike, I thought &%$# the frame is too small. After about half an hour on the bike, it actually felt perfect. The bike felt just as Jeff said it would. It has a very laid back and somewhat upright feel to it (relative to my other bikes), but it is very quick and handles beautifiully. Lifting the Fat Front wheel by itself makes you think the front end of the bike will be ponderous at best, but again, the laid back angles of the bike make it easy to lift over logs and rocks while, even seated, the front end stayed glued to the ground on steep climbs. Still have a fair amount of fine tuning to do, particularly with the Endomorph. Jeff warned me that very small changes in tire pressure will make very big differences. It is not surprising, given the low pressures in question. If you're even considering a new ride, give Jeff a call, he's a great guy to talk to. Loves bikes and his enthusiasm comes through loud and clear on the phone and in the ride.

Build Specifics:

Jones Ti Double Diamond Frame
Vicious Cycles Fat Front Steel fork
Hadley SS/Flow -Rear Wheel
Paul/Speedway Cycles Uma - Front Wheel
Cane Creek Headset
Moots Ti-Beam Stem, Laid Back Post & Handlebar
Magura Marta SL Brakes (180mm Front & Rear)
Phil Wood BB (gonna try External BB at some point)
RF Next Cranks with Boone SS Chainring
Boone SS Cog
Crank Bros Cnady Sl Pedals
WTB Pure Saddle

Attachments

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
MTBDad said:
I went with the Steel fork for a couple of reasons. First, I was not 100% sure the Fat Front thing would be for me and the Vicious seemed like a better way to try it out. I figured that if I really liked it, I would order a Ti replacement and put this one on another bike. I went with the Diamond frame, because as beautiful as the Space Frame is, I prefer the more traditional lines (and there was the additional $1000).
Pretty much my line of thinking as well. Not sure yet what frame the Vicious would go on if/when I upgrade to the Ti Truss fat...susp corrected 26er...non susp corrected 29er...steel Jones...??

You're gonna love the bike, and the fat front. I am as happy on the regular 29er front wheel as I am the fat Endomorph...good thing too since I sold everything to pay for this! :thumbsup:

Haven't taken many pictures of mine yet, but here are a couple from a recent ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
Wow, that must be one stiff front end with that wide hub!

tamjam said:
Pretty much my line of thinking as well. Not sure yet what frame the Vicious would go on if/when I upgrade to the Ti Truss fat...susp corrected 26er...non susp corrected 29er...steel Jones...??

You're gonna love the bike, and the fat front. I am as happy on the regular 29er front wheel as I am the fat Endomorph...good thing too since I sold everything to pay for this! :thumbsup:

Haven't taken many pictures of mine yet, but here are a couple from a recent ride.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
What is it about the Jones geometry that makes a guy who normally rides a 24" ETT bike so comfy on a 23" ETT - is it a more relaxed seat tube angle and head tube angle combination or something?

Just wondering out loud a bit, but would love to hear the reasoning behind this.

Thanks.

Mark

·
528 Posts
diamond

I really like the looks of your bike. I have been wanting to build a pugsley for some time now. Just curious as to how the fat front with a regular 29er wheel in the rear handles on snow. What is the intended purpose of a fat front only bike? My guess is that the fat front is like having suspension but please enlighten me. Hmmm. maybe a jones steel frame is in my future. thanks.
MTBDad said:
Santa was very good to me this year! Jones Ti Diamond frame with Vicious Steel fork and Paul 135mm Fat Front Hub. My wife said I had been very good this year and offered to let me add a new sleigh (I will need to loose one of the others) to the collection. After a great and very informative phone conversation with the elf from Medford, OR, the order was placed.

So far I only have a couple rides on the bike, but I love it! I normally ride a frame with a 24" TT, but after talking with Jeff, went with the 23". The first time I sat on the bike, I thought &%$# the frame is too small. After about half an hour on the bike, it actually felt perfect. The bike felt just as Jeff said it would. It has a very laid back and somewhat upright feel to it (relative to my other bikes), but it is very quick and handles beautifiully. Lifting the Fat Front wheel by itself makes you think the front end of the bike will be ponderous at best, but again, the laid back angles of the bike make it easy to lift over logs and rocks while, even seated, the front end stayed glued to the ground on steep climbs. Still have a fair amount of fine tuning to do, particularly with the Endomorph. Jeff warned me that very small changes in tire pressure will make very big differences. It is not surprising, given the low pressures in question. If you're even considering a new ride, give Jeff a call, he's a great guy to talk to. Loves bikes and his enthusiasm comes through loud and clear on the phone and in the ride.

Build Specifics:

Jones Ti Double Diamond Frame
Vicious Cycles Fat Front Steel fork
Hadley SS/Flow -Rear Wheel
Paul/Speedway Cycles Uma - Front Wheel
Cane Creek Headset
Moots Ti-Beam Stem, Laid Back Post & Handlebar
Magura Marta SL Brakes (180mm Front & Rear)
Phil Wood BB (gonna try External BB at some point)
RF Next Cranks with Boone SS Chainring
Boone SS Cog
Crank Bros Cnady Sl Pedals
WTB Pure Saddle

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
MMcG said:
What is it about the Jones geometry that makes a guy who normally rides a 24" ETT bike so comfy on a 23" ETT - is it a more relaxed seat tube angle and head tube angle combination or something?

Just wondering out loud a bit, but would love to hear the reasoning behind this.

Thanks.

Mark
Perhaps he was on the wrong size before - people seem to think that TT length is proportional to penis length, and having a short one is bad.

23ETT with a slack seat angle is going to be a LOT shorter than 24TT with conventional seat angle, but it's all about getting it right - and that's not automatically what you had before.

People are so hung up on mirroring positions from bike to bike - and if you do that you'll not get the benefits that a designer intended - ie: jeff's rearward seating position would be fouled up by someone setting up for that shot-to-pieces "Knee Over Pedal Spindle" nonsense.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Perhaps he was on the wrong size before - people seem to think that TT length is proportional to penis length, and having a short one is bad.

23ETT with a slack seat angle is going to be a LOT shorter than 24TT with conventional seat angle, but it's all about getting it right - and that's not automatically what you had before.

People are so hung up on mirroring positions from bike to bike - and if you do that you'll not get the benefits that a designer intended - ie: jeff's rearward seating position would be fouled up by someone setting up for that shot-to-pieces "Knee Over Pedal Spindle" nonsense.
Perhaps he was. But I thought the Jones philosophy of rearward seating position was also coupled with a short stem. The reason I asked my question was the guy's bike uses an offset post and what seems to be a pretty long stem. Wouldn't that long stem sort of negate the rearward orientation of the rider on the bike? Or does the setback post take care of that issue?

Just trying to stir some good conversation here and wondering. I don't think there are true geometry numbers on Jones frames (at least I didn't see them on his site) hence my curiosity. I do see that he likes short wheelbases for his 29er designs.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
cubeman said:
I myself recently celebrated the one year waiting anniversary for my 19t Boone cog I ordered...
contact the guys at singleandfixed.com - I got a 21T cog in less than a week. They normally have a few in stock. Chainrings - different matter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.