Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
(enter witty phrase here)
Joined
·
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new digital camera and took some ride pics. Figured I'd share some.





Looking Up.


Looking Down. Notice the reflector (Bottom Left) Trail ate someone.


Old coal mine tunnel.


It's a little blurry. Had to use a night shot shutter speed cause it was pitch black inside. Should have brought a tripod.


Jim Thorpe Below.


6X Zoom



Facing Right.


Facing Left.
 

·
in the getto
Joined
·
175 Posts
nice

cool , what trail was this? I've been wanting to get to Thorpe for years now.
 

·
(enter witty phrase here)
Joined
·
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first 5 pics are from the Mauch Chunk Ridge (Also called fireline trail I believe). 2nd last pic with the lake shows the ridge.

The rest of the pics are from the Switch Back Trail. Basically an old gravel railroad bed turned into a trail. A 10yro kid on a BMX rode up it with his dad (who was on a MTB). Kudos to the kid! So obviously the trail isn't very technical. But it offers one of the best views around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Oh how I forget how green PA is

Very nice pics I haven't rode that trail in over 6 years. I moved to Colorado and forgot the beauty of the application mtn's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Sweet!

Nice pics! A couple of friends and I are going out to Jim Thorpe in 2 weeks (June 11-13) from Pittsburgh. Any recommendations on where exactly to ride? Good climbs? Technical stuff? Thanks for any recommendations, and again, great pics!
 

·
(enter witty phrase here)
Joined
·
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aspang said:
Nice pics! A couple of friends and I are going out to Jim Thorpe in 2 weeks (June 11-13) from Pittsburgh. Any recommendations on where exactly to ride? Good climbs? Technical stuff? Thanks for any recommendations, and again, great pics!
Stop in here. These guys can probably help you.
http://www.bikejimthorpe.com/
 

·
(enter witty phrase here)
Joined
·
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe I can brighten your day

snowskilz said:
How i miss american standard. :( :( :(
i wish it was this green in rado.
The American Standard is closed. As well as all the other trails on State Game Lands.
 

·
Wizard of the Trail
Joined
·
912 Posts
Yeah, you hafta love pa. I am a MTBer, hunter and fisherman. They hike up all the prices for hunting licenses and fishing permits. Theres hardly any game on the gamelands and you cannot bike on it either. :rolleyes: That is ridicuous!!! The sad thing is, I am from pa. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,354 Posts
Geist262 said:
Yeah, you hafta love pa. I am a MTBer, hunter and fisherman. They hike up all the prices for hunting licenses and fishing permits. Theres hardly any game on the gamelands and you cannot bike on it either. :rolleyes: That is ridicuous!!! The sad thing is, I am from pa. :(
I am also from Pa and agree that, as a state, it has very little to offer. It is full of old people or young, stupid people, with old ideas.
 

·
Inbred Homebrewer
Joined
·
847 Posts
anand said:
I am also from Pa and agree that, as a state, it has very little to offer. It is full of old people or young, stupid people, with old ideas.
Oh, but I suppose you are the only exception to your utterly asinine genaralization?

As neither an "old" nor "young & stupid" life-long resident of Pennsylvania, your comments re: the population of this state are particularly offensive and smack of ignorance.

If the state has so little to offer you, why is it you still reside here? It seems to me that, if indeed you are the only person in Pennsylvania who isn't either quietly awaiting death or, alternatley, too young and stupid to know any better, then certainly you would have packed your bags and fled long ago!
 

·
eci
Joined
·
2,712 Posts
We'll stick most times id flame the other dood too but you've proved to me your an idiot.

Per capita NEPA has more older ppl than florida. So basically what the other dood said was completly true although he didnt use any of the facts. (NEPA = god's waiting room)

Also NEPA has 300 days of clouds per year. Thats the amount of sunny days in colorado. Another fact for ya NEPA has about 185 days of rain per year.

Also trying to talk to the game comision in many areas is like talking to a brick fall. Of all the states in the US PA is in the top ten for public land. If i remember correctly Alaska is the highest but then again no one lives there.

Know your facts b4 you try to flame someone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,354 Posts
Stick said:
Oh, but I suppose you are the only exception to your utterly asinine genaralization?

As neither an "old" nor "young & stupid" life-long resident of Pennsylvania, your comments re: the population of this state are particularly offensive and smack of ignorance.

If the state has so little to offer you, why is it you still reside here? It seems to me that, if indeed you are the only person in Pennsylvania who isn't either quietly awaiting death or, alternatley, too young and stupid to know any better, then certainly you would have packed your bags and fled long ago!
Of course I am one of the many exceptions. Are you? ;)
 

·
(enter witty phrase here)
Joined
·
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hold on a minute.

snowskilz said:
We'll stick most times id flame the other dood too but you've proved to me your an idiot.

Per capita NEPA has more older ppl than florida. So basically what the other dood said was completly true although he didnt use any of the facts. (NEPA = god's waiting room)

Also NEPA has 300 days of clouds per year. Thats the amount of sunny days in colorado. Another fact for ya NEPA has about 185 days of rain per year.

Also trying to talk to the game comision in many areas is like talking to a brick fall. Of all the states in the US PA is in the top ten for public land. If i remember correctly Alaska is the highest but then again no one lives there.

Know your facts b4 you try to flame someone.
anand said "as a state" PA. He didn't say NEPA. So according to the facts, what anand said is not true. According to the US Census Bureau:
Pennsylvania: Pop. 12,335,091
Age 65+: 15.6% (1,924,274)

Florida: Pop 16,713,149
Age 65+: 17.6% (2,941,514)

There's a million more "old" people in Florida.

300 days of clouds per year? Where'd that "fact" come from?
Less than 200 days of clouds in NEPA.
http://www.ems.psu.edu/PA_Climatologist/State/PA_annual_cloudy.htm

http://www.weatherbase.com
Scranton:
Average Number of Clear Days: 70
Average Number of Cloudy Days: 190

Does PA have little to offer? That's a matter of opinion. Not fact. Lots to offer me.
Full of stupid people? Another matter of opinion. No facts on that one.

Just the facts.
 

·
eci
Joined
·
2,712 Posts
tlg said:
anand said "as a state" PA. He didn't say NEPA. So according to the facts, what anand said is not true. According to the US Census Bureau:
Pennsylvania: Pop. 12,335,091
Age 65+: 15.6% (1,924,274)

Florida: Pop 16,713,149
Age 65+: 17.6% (2,941,514)

There's a million more "old" people in Florida.

300 days of clouds per year? Where'd that "fact" come from?
Less than 200 days of clouds in NEPA.
http://www.ems.psu.edu/PA_Climatologist/State/PA_annual_cloudy.htm

http://www.weatherbase.com
Scranton:
Average Number of Clear Days: 70
Average Number of Cloudy Days: 190

Does PA have little to offer? That's a matter of opinion. Not fact. Lots to offer me.
Full of stupid people? Another matter of opinion. No facts on that one.

Just the facts.
All the facts i stated were on WNEP (a station based out of NEPA) Technically Jim thorpe is considered part of NEPA. The state as a whole has a 15.6% old ppl. in NEPA i bet that rate is somewhere around 25% Philly, Pittsburg and State college have tons of young ppl for college so it totally skews the numbers as far as overall statistics. Think of this penn state has 45000 students or .3% of Pa's total population. Almost every person at penn state main is under 65(students that is) so that totally skews the overall number. And that does not include drexel, esu, CUP, IUP, PITT, Temple, Fairywood, U of S, Wilkes, etc. I would bet PA has prolly the most colleges per state. NY might be close but PA def has way too many colleges.

Pa has alot to offer, NEPA on the other hand has the worst weather of the state. There was a study done by the weather service and due to global warming NEPA currently has the weather west virginia had 6 years ago. That was posted in the paper and WNEP.

I personally moved out of PA because of the sh!tty weather. every day i had off it rained. When it snowed it also hailed and sleeted. and even sometimes rained.
 

·
Inbred Homebrewer
Joined
·
847 Posts
snowskilz said:
We'll stick most times id flame the other dood too but you've proved to me your an idiot.
You post a reply with all the grammar skills of a third grade special-ed student and I'm an idiot?

snowskilz said:
Per capita NEPA has more older ppl than florida. So basically what the other dood said was completly true although he didnt use any of the facts. (NEPA = god's waiting room)
Old people are everywhere, and getting older every day. So what? By 2035 the 70-plus age group (nationwide) will more than double, from about 26 million last year to 57 million, according to Census Bureau estimates.

Nobody is flocking to Pennsylvania after retirement in search of a geriatric paradise. The simple fact is that a lot of people who happen to be born and raised in Pennsylvania like it here and they don't move elsewhere after retirement.

snowskilz said:
Know your facts b4 you try to flame someone
Umm, first of all, I wasn't 'flaming' him. I simply asked why he would stay in a place that had nothing to offer. Second, you really should take your own advice.

According to the census bureau:

Number of people aged 65 or older, by county:

Montgomery County, PA: 113231. Total pop. = 766517. % of total pop. over 65 = 14.7%
Carbon County, PA: 10,733. Total pop. = 59688. % of total over 65 = 18%
Potter County, PA: 3024. Total pop. = 18217. % of total over 65 = 16.6%
Monroe County, PA 17709. Total pop = 148839. % of total over 65 = 11.9%

Palm Beach County, FL 265128. Total pop = 1,190,390. % of total over 65 = 22.3%

I could list more counties individually, but lets look at the statewide totals, shall we?

PENNSYLVANIA: Total Population (July 1, 2002, U.S. Census Bureau): 12,335,091
65 and over: 1,908,962

1908962 / 12335091 = 0.1547 * 100% = 15.47% over 65

FLORIDA: Total Population (July 1, 2002, U.S. Census Bureau): 16,713,149
65 and over: 2,854,838

2,854,838 / 16,713,149 = .1708 * 100% = 17.08% over 65.

I guess it's like they say, "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any doubt."
 

·
eci
Joined
·
2,712 Posts
Stick said:
You post a reply with all the grammar skills of a third grade special-ed student and I'm an idiot?



Old people are everywhere, and getting older every day. So what? By 2035 the 70-plus age group (nationwide) will more than double, from about 26 million last year to 57 million, according to Census Bureau estimates.

Nobody is flocking to Pennsylvania after retirement in search of a geriatric paradise. The simple fact is that a lot of people who happen to be born and raised in Pennsylvania like it here and they don't move elsewhere after retirement.



Umm, first of all, I wasn't 'flaming' him. I simply asked why he would stay in a place that had nothing to offer. Second, you really should take your own advice.

According to the census bureau:

Number of people aged 65 or older, by county:

Montgomery County, PA: 113231. Total pop. = 766517. % of total pop. over 65 = 14.7%
Carbon County, PA: 10,733. Total pop. = 59688. % of total over 65 = 18%
Potter County, PA: 3024. Total pop. = 18217. % of total over 65 = 16.6%
Monroe County, PA 17709. Total pop = 148839. % of total over 65 = 11.9%

Palm Beach County, FL 265128. Total pop = 1,190,390. % of total over 65 = 22.3%

I could list more counties individually, but lets look at the statewide totals, shall we?

PENNSYLVANIA: Total Population (July 1, 2002, U.S. Census Bureau): 12,335,091
65 and over: 1,908,962

1908962 / 12335091 = 0.1547 * 100% = 15.47% over 65

FLORIDA: Total Population (July 1, 2002, U.S. Census Bureau): 16,713,149
65 and over: 2,854,838

2,854,838 / 16,713,149 = .1708 * 100% = 17.08% over 65.

I guess it's like they say, "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open one's mouth and remove any doubt."
On a forum grammar and spelling are the Laest of my concrens.

But anyways. Your forgot lackawana county. which has the highest amount of elderly ppl in pa.
 

·
Inbred Homebrewer
Joined
·
847 Posts
snowskilz said:
All the facts i stated were on WNEP (a station based out of NEPA) Technically Jim thorpe is considered part of NEPA. The state as a whole has a 15.6% old ppl. in NEPA i bet that rate is somewhere around 25%
Wrong. Carbon County = 18%

Anyone can make up numbers. Do your homework, or continue looking like an ass.

snowskilz said:
Philly, Pittsburg and State college have tons of young ppl for college so it totally skews the numbers as far as overall statistics.
They don't skew anything that matters. Your myopic view of the demographics and your twisted and/or fabricated view of the state as a whole is laughable.

snowskilz said:
Think of this penn state has 45000 students or .3% of Pa's total population. Almost every person at penn state main is under 65(students that is) so that totally skews the overall number. And that does not include drexel, esu, CUP, IUP, PITT, Temple, Fairywood, U of S, Wilkes, etc. I would bet PA has prolly the most colleges per state. NY might be close but PA def has way too many colleges.
Maybe you should have attended one of those colleges. I don't even know where to start with this one. The simple fact of the matter is that your argument is flawed. As someone else stated, there are nearly 1 million more people over the age of 65 in FL than there are here. No matter how you massage the data, you can't change that.

snowskilz said:
Pa has alot to offer, NEPA on the other hand has the worst weather of the state. There was a study done by the weather service and due to global warming NEPA currently has the weather west virginia had 6 years ago. That was posted in the paper and WNEP.

I personally moved out of PA because of the sh!tty weather. every day i had off it rained. When it snowed it also hailed and sleeted. and even sometimes rained.
So we go from "old people" to weather as a reason not to like it here, eh? Interesting redirect, but some of us don't cry when it rains and the changing seasons are one of the best arguments for living in the northeast.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top