Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent so time on Broad Mountain...

...One of JT's most Iconic trails and prolly the oldest, Deer Path is all but grown in now. Growth is eye level and drooping over. The path in the dirt is well worn in, but we are about to loose this trail.

I can see in this day and age of groomed trails, signage, and promotion on web sites this old school trail no longer gets any attention. I can say in the 30 plus years I have had the opportunity to ride DP it has always been super and left me with many memories. Back in the heyday of JT it would be so crowded with mt bikers enjoying this new sport. Now not a soul travels this path.

·
Registered
50 Posts
We stopped hitting most of the stuff on Broad Mountain on our regular rides up in Thorpe the past year since everything was getting pretty crazy grown in, Deer Path and even the Standard at a bunch of spots. Not sure if the Standard is still heavily grown in but last summer it was getting thick in a bunch of spots.

The moto ridden trails on Pisgah stay pretty nice and open in large part thanks to the moto traffic and are pretty awesome to MTB on as well so we have been mostly riding there so we can see the trails/rocks and get out of the car wash effect.

Jeans Run wasn't as grown in last time we were up in early summer but certainly wouldn't hurt to be trimmed back in the bottom Rhododendron section after you come out of the steeper chute area.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
I thought that technically deer path I and II were "closed" to mountainbiking.

Honestly, those were some of my favorite trails on Broad mountain - as was Galen's run which closed years ago.

·
Registered
Turner Flux 27.5, full XT, Easton Arc 30 rims, Project 321 hubs, Race Face carbon bar, Easton seatpo
854 Posts
All depends on how you interpret closed. If you don't make it public that you are riding it then no one will ever know. Be quiet and ride. As above said it is pretty grown in. I hit it last year and it was pretty bad then. Haven't ridden AS this year.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
All depends on how you interpret closed. If you don't make it public that you are riding it then no one will ever know. Be quiet and ride. As above said it is pretty grown in. I hit it last year and it was pretty bad then. Haven't ridden AS this year.
Nothing is closed to me!...
I hear yah. But I think because of the status, I don't think they get used like they did in the day and hence, they are now overgrown.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Ves...

Yes you are correct, and that was an old trail builders joke...LOL
Channeling Galen Van Dine...
Great post. God I miss the Jim Thorpe. And the Galen reference, just classic. You ever attend the old MTB weekend? I lived for that event in the 90's.

Reactions: NEPMTBA

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ride Thorpe almost every weekend. BUT, NEPMTBA is correct. Deer Path is about Dead, it's a struggle to get through, and forget the DPII, that one is Dead.....The American Standard is not far behind and is on life support, and almost dead. But, having said that, EastFallsShred is correct, there is still a lot of good riding up there. If you don't mind living in harmony with the motos, there are a bunch of great trails on mt Pisgah, And Above Lake Hauto out on the Broad mtn. Personally, I'm loving the moto traffic, they're keeping Thorpe alive for me. Although the trails may be rutted up a bit, I chalk it up to "Raw back woods riding". So, go get out to Thorpe and explore, the trails are still there.

But back to the point of the Thread.....I too miss the Deer Path.....What a Classic Great Trail......Ride On.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.