Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
wrench
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the time has come to say that the Fisher 29er Paragon will be tested to the fullest at US National Championships tomorrow. You may have seen he raced it at the STXC last Sunday in Park City. This is of his own choice- no pressure from anyone- this is the fastest bike for the course here in Sonoma, CA. I worked hard with sponsored equipment to knock one pound out of the bike- 22.25 lbs. Here are the specs:

RS Reba 29 stock w/poplock
Paragon Frame stock- size XL
Bonty XXXL Bar and Riser stem
Custom Bonty 29 wheelset- tubless 28h
Bonty XR 1.8 tyres
Bonty RXL seatpost, RXXXL Saddle
Sram XO Der, shifter
Avid Ultimate Disc Brakes (Blackbox)
Avid Rotors 160mm Ft. 140mm Rr. (Blackbox)
Sram Ti 11-34 Cass (Blackbox) Sram PC 991 Hollowpin chain
Crank Brothers 4Ti eggbeaters
Bonty RXL Single ring Crank 39t ring (custom)
And most importantly, the number one plate as defending champ

Will post some pics when I get them. I am nervous and excited at the same time. We'll see what happens tomorrow.:thumbsup:

Matt

·
luddite
212 Posts
Blackbox is not for mortals unti 2007

ncj01 said:
All that "Black Box" SRAM stuff, and "Ultimate Avid Brakes" stuff sounds exciting. I must be behind...pics/details?
Been covered in a previous thread. The link in the first post covers the whole 2007 SRAM line including the brakes. Nothing about the custom cranks, though.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1960667

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
mattomoto said:
Well, the time has come to say that the Fisher 29er Paragon will be tested to the fullest at US National Championships tomorrow. You may have seen he raced it at the STXC last Sunday in Park City. This is of his own choice- no pressure from anyone- this is the fastest bike for the course here in Sonoma, CA. I worked hard with sponsored equipment to knock one pound out of the bike- 22.25 lbs. Here are the specs:

RS Reba 29 stock w/poplock
Paragon Frame stock- size XL
Bonty XXXL Bar and Riser stem
Custom Bonty 29 wheelset- tubless 28h
Bonty XR 1.8 tyres
Bonty RXL seatpost, RXXXL Saddle
Sram XO Der, shifter
Avid Ultimate Disc Brakes (Blackbox)
Avid Rotors 160mm Ft. 140mm Rr. (Blackbox)
Sram Ti 11-34 Cass (Blackbox) Sram PC 991 Hollowpin chain
Crank Brothers 4Ti eggbeaters
Bonty RXL Single ring Crank 39t ring (custom)
And most importantly, the number one plate as defending champ

Will post some pics when I get them. I am nervous and excited at the same time. We'll see what happens tomorrow.:thumbsup:

Matt
JHK is super fit this year, he should easily win. He had a huge gap on the field in the XC at Park City even on the super slow 26 incher. ;)

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
A National XC race on friday?? Or is it like a mini-league for the championship, over multiple disciplines?

I'm skeptical about the 1.8" tires although I've never seen them in my life.
I know the team racers themselves asked for a narrower thus lighter XR tire. But doesn't narrower normally mean "slower" in hardcore moutainbiking? The fastest race tire I've tried were super-fat 26" ones. Yes I can ride faster with middle-of-the-road 29" tires because I corrected my riding style for them, but on a wide and open course, you can't do much about a faster and smoother rolling fat 26" tire.
Once in an MTB stage race, over fast forrest trails and some roads, I used a pretty fast-rolling WTB Mutanoraptor 700c x44mm. After the first day I had to beg the Nishiki team for a Nano 29" to put on as a rear, as the narrow tire was only holding me back. Hills too more effort to clean (or walk), the required high pressure to prevent pinchflats made me fatique in th seat faster. A Nano seems to roll a bit slower than the Mutano (no-one ever tested that I think) but in the last stage I felt like a million bucks with some more cush in the back, my legs seemed stronger.

Narrow tires seem to give a perceived sense of speed. Road bikes have narrow 700c tires and are fast, MTB"s have wide tires and roll badly, SO narrow 700c MTB tires must be faster?

I've been pleading for an XR "Race" tire for some time. An updated XR tread, much lower lugs, and much faster/grippier rubber compounds. Also a higher-tpi casing, of course. all that, in the size we're used to : 2.25". IMO the currect XR is a mediocre tire in terms of construction, yet it performs quite well, apart from rolling slow, making me run 2 front tires.
An "XR Race" that would try to get the same handling properties couple with faster rolling and reduced weight would definately kick 26" ass.

I do feel fast on Kenda Karma 2.0's, but we can hardly call those narrow, at almost 50mm on a basic rim. Their high-end casing makes them more compliant also. The announce wider 2.2" Karma would be extremely interesting for racing, if only to just add enough front end cush and grip to have the racer opt for a 2lb lighter rigid fork.

It's clear to me that Trebon is an extrmely talented rider. Being as fast as he is on a CX bike who's technical regulations are so impractical fo big riders, says tons about his abilities on the bike. Either he's among the best bike handlers in the world, or he's got power to compensate for any clumsiness his tall body brings along. Probably both in his case. I probably have the same seat height as Trebon, so I know how hrd it is to ride competitively among all shorter riders.

I'm a Bontrager fan because of their 29" commitment, but now that Fisher's own racers are using 29"ers, it's time for them to come up with a true race tire, on the double. Narrow is only faster on sucky or splashy soil, IMO.
I bet if Bontrager allowed these racers to ride with tires of any brand, they'd immediately swap to Karma's and Crows, and get better results. 2 hours of XC is a long way if you don't have the fastest rolling tires that money can buy... Rider of that level don't really need grip anyway. I see WorldCup riders on 330g Maxxis Flyweights all the time...

·
wrench
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bike is pretty much the same as it was last week, but the blackbox stuff.

Cranks are a proto and we should be offering them as a RXL unit for 2007.

Tyres are not tubless per say, I just set them up using a 24" presta tube cut down the center and Stan's sealant. Never burp them either. We used 32 psi race day.

Wheels are RL rims, DT Revolution spokes, Bonty SL centerlock hubs.

As for the race and the result, JHK is pretty happy with the finish. He said the bike was fantastic and the right bike for the job. Treefarm was far too strong for anyone in the race and deserves the win. Could not have gone to a nicer guy. Hat's off to Ryan and the rest of the "Gladiators" out there.

As a side note, I heard Wicks tell JHK that the 29er was amazing. JHK would just pull away from him on streches of the race. Pretty cool.

Pics coming. Later.

Matt

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Cool that the pro's are starting to notice.
Guys I race with aren't too used to me, so may not tell as easily when it's my bike, and when it's my legs/skills opening a gap.

Was that course very bumpy? I wonder if you guys have tested a fatty XR front tire with a rigid fork, to save muchos weight. Also, do test a shaved down XR 2.25 front tire as a rear. To me they work really well for outright speed and offering me a soft ride to the finish. Just don't expect them to never break loose on messy climbs. Especially on bumpy courses fat rear tires are worth it. Let's say it this way : on courses where I pick a Reba over a rigid, I would not easily trade the improved comfort and speed over the weight of a narrow tire. I've got the luxury position to be just a sports racer, allowed to ride any tire make.

Did you know that the one National Championship won with 29 (Dutch 2004 -23, Jelmer Pietersma) was on Kevlar Nano's with Maxxis stickers? ;-)

Mental note to self : do order a set of 1.8's for those wet races where you don't want tire to be just shoveling around dirt.

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
mattomoto said:
Bike is pretty much the same as it was last week, but the blackbox stuff.

Cranks are a proto and we should be offering them as a RXL unit for 2007.

Tyres are not tubless per say, I just set them up using a 24" presta tube cut down the center and Stan's sealant. Never burp them either. We used 32 psi race day.

Wheels are RL rims, DT Revolution spokes, Bonty SL centerlock hubs.

As for the race and the result, JHK is pretty happy with the finish. He said the bike was fantastic and the right bike for the job. Treefarm was far too strong for anyone in the race and deserves the win. Could not have gone to a nicer guy. Hat's off to Ryan and the rest of the "Gladiators" out there.

As a side note, I heard Wicks tell JHK that the 29er was amazing. JHK would just pull away from him on streches of the race. Pretty cool.

Pics coming. Later.

Matt
cant wait for the crank to come out, 40x29 will be perfect for the 29er. is it isis or
external bb?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.