Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a picture of Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski racing the Sea Otter pro short track on 700c wheels. This doesn't really count as a Two-Niner but it is worth throwing a picture up.

We don't force the athletes to ride a particular bike, we let them choose. But Jeremy has a Two-Niner and did a practice lap on one. He thought it was good but wasn't ready to race on it yet. For the short track he took his 26" frame and mounted custom wheels with Bontrager carbon tubular rims and cross tires. He thought they were blazing fast and is likely to keep exploring.

Just one more step in the right direction.

Attachments

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
thanks!

nice report.
glad to know that JHK is experimenting. heck, with all that finery at my fingertips, i would be like a mad, experimenting scientist. :p
let's hope he gets comfy enough on the big hoops that he races on 'em. and wins. :D

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Frischknecht

If they were "blazing fast" why don't you guys do what Frischknecht did with his 26" XC bike in Athens, and have Dugast make some 2.1'' Tubulars. Couple a hunderd $ should do the trick.I think they should regulate tire width in MTBing, not to give all the advantage to the factory riders with the big $. No tire smaller than 1.9 or so.
FisherGuy said:
Here is a picture of Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski racing the Sea Otter pro short track on 700c wheels. This doesn't really count as a Two-Niner but it is worth throwing a picture up.

We don't force the athletes to ride a particular bike, we let them choose. But Jeremy has a Two-Niner and did a practice lap on one. He thought it was good but wasn't ready to race on it yet. For the short track he took his 26" frame and mounted custom wheels with Bontrager carbon tubular rims and cross tires. He thought they were blazing fast and is likely to keep exploring.

Just one more step in the right direction.

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
Width Regulations?

Now this is just my opinion but I think the athletes should be able to choose whatever they want-if the course is so non technical that a guy wants to use road tires, he should be able to do it. If that's the type of racing the promoters want, they should get it. I recommend jumps! Rough terrain! Maybe some loose off-cambers! Otherwise it'll be just more rules, right? Maybe a fast section thru some baby heads, that'd solve the problem quick!

Can 2.1" tubulars really be made for anybody with the jack to buy'em? Just think, carbon rims, tubbies, yum yum!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I hope Jeremy will soon come to peace with a true 29"er, he'll love it once he's used to braking later or not at all anymore. For shorttrack racing, my trimming ideas may be of some use. Won't make tires beat the weights of good Tubulars, but an AcX can be brought down to 500g or so and still kick ass on such smooth short track courses.

Rather than to just ban anything bigger than 26" in fear of road bikes having an edge over 26" bikes on a course, like in another thread I never managed to reply in anymore, indeed I've always pleaded for a minimum tire width in MTBiking. 43-45mm or so would be fine. I even suggested this to the UCI when they hadn't even changed the 6 to 9 in their regulations, as I sadly foresaw already.
CX bikes can't usually take tires bigger than 45mm, although they could be made to. Then, banning a "type" of bike in contra-productive, it raises costs.

Dugast can make 700c tubular upt o around 45mm I think. Some high-profile Professionals are told to have ordered big Dugasts with lightweight Maxxis and such treads for the past Olympics. Maybe those tires didn't hold up, or the frames just didn't work well enough. Brentjens is said to have had a 29" bike by Ginat, which was actually no good. And another pro that had borrowed his 34mm tubular wheels he rode in them, wrecked them. Bart never raced anything but his sponsored 26" tires, at least that I know of.

Here in the Netherlands many other pro's and talents have been starting on bikes exactly like the Fisher above. Custom 700c disc tub wheels, SID or Magura fork, plain 26" hardtail otherwise. They've done it more than once, so it must feel fast. Corine Dorland won a race on it once I think, a course that's not even all that lame, one of the nicer courses we have here. For some reason on the HPC team that last year rode Nishiki's has had the mental click to seriously try full 29" meats, and this year on BeOne's only MTBR poster Bram. He's still on the same Nano's as last year and looking totally natural on them.

If you shop well, you'll find carbon rim makers that's do custom width tub rims. Such a wide tub won't jive on a 20mm rim I'm sure. 24-26mm makes more sense to me. I wonder if it's worth the trouble in terms of performance. Sure, Frischknecht was very hapy with his 650c tires in the mud on last year's Worlds, but a well-made lightweight 29" tire run with Stan's on Stan's rims, that's a rocket ship! Bram actually rides Stan's rims on is BeOne now, 392g each, protected by Nano's, and no tubes.
Comparing the best of 2 worlds : what's a tubular Dugast of 45mm going to save in rolling resistance over a 2.1" Racing Ralph? Can't be a lot, though it'll feel more suptle probably.
Local hero an CX crack Gerben de Knecht did show up on 650c Racing ralphs once, started at the back of the ELite/Pro field, made it to the front....and flatted out. Later he said it did feel fast.

650c Dugasts with Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.1 Threads I've seen looked some 47-48mm wide to me. Not like a really narrow 1.9 even.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.