Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm trying to decide between these two bikes. both of them are under 2000, my daily rides are mostly trailing, some mild jumps, and may some time to time few xc riding. should i spend a bit more to get the 800 then 600? or just save some $$ and get 600?

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
I would say stick with the 600, I don't see any big reason for the extra 400.00. If anything spend the extra money to upgrade to a sram drivetrain.

·
Registered
350 Posts
pretty much the only thing you get with the 800 is the lefty. it is a huge upgrade over the black rtwd. i have the 600 and havent been disappointed at all, my brother has the 800 and has loved it completely. the lefty is a sweet fork, it just depends on if the price difference is worth it for you. the lefty is one of the perks of buying a cannondale.

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the leftys. I would definatly take the black over a lefty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I faced the same question

I was seriously looking at both bikes for the last month also.

Now, I'm not a bike expert by any means, as I just got back into it after several years hiatus, but it really does boil down to $$.

If I remember correctly, the 800 has hydraulic brakes, which "I" think felt better to me than the Avid Mech disc.

On the other hand, if the Lefty isn't a big deal (I'm really happy with the Black Elites), then use the extra money you saved to upgrade some components on the 600.

Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
get the 600

I was in the same pickle as you last month. I decided on the 600 disc. The component spec on the 600 is great. But if you are willing to spend $2000 on a bike. Check out some others in that price range. Also if they don't have your size/color in stock check to see how long it will take you to get it. I'm on a 3 week waiting list.!

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
I've been looking at....

The Jekyll 600 Disc seriously.... now with propedal, don't it??

How good this bike is??. I'm thinking long climbs with long descents on fire roads, singletrack and trails combined..... no jumps but high speed descents. I'm 5'9" with 140#

Thnx!!

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
I think its fine for that,. The 600 is definatly near the top on my list of bikes to check out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bought the Jekyll 600

I should have mentioned in my above post that I actually bought the 600 Disc.

So far, I love it. The cable routing is brutal in my mind though. Bordering stupid. Nothing good can come of it in time. Every bike has it's negatives, and that's the negative.

Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's not the shifters

The problem is that the cable goes from open to housed right UNDER the front triangle. This is a BAD spot, since the front wheels constantly is spitting mud under there, and that mud, water, and sand just gets pounded into the cable housing. Then the cables end up feeling "gritty", and while it's tolerable with brakes, for those delicate precision XT shifters, it's a no go. Ghost shifts, etc.

I've only had the bike for a week, and already see that I am going to have to move to full housing due to shifting issues. Can't keep 'em clean enough.

Really though, although it sucks, the rest of the bike I LOVE! It's great. I look forward to riding it every day. The bike makes me feel "at home" if that makes any sense. It makes me feel confident, as the geometry can be set up to your liking in many ways. You can adjust the rear geometry to effectively change your head angle, and you can change the travel on the front fork, which I now have learned can really help steep climbs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
ShawnsJekyll said:
I should have mentioned in my above post that I actually bought the 600 Disc.

So far, I love it. The cable routing is brutal in my mind though. Bordering stupid. Nothing good can come of it in time. Every bike has it's negatives, and that's the negative.

Good luck!
I agree about the cable routing. I just bought some 3M protective tape, and all is good.

·
Registered
84 Posts
ShawnsJekyll said:
The problem is that the cable goes from open to housed right UNDER the front triangle. This is a BAD spot, since the front wheels constantly is spitting mud under there, and that mud, water, and sand just gets pounded into the cable housing. Then the cables end up feeling "gritty", and while it's tolerable with brakes, for those delicate precision XT shifters, it's a no go. Ghost shifts, etc.

I've only had the bike for a week, and already see that I am going to have to move to full housing due to shifting issues. Can't keep 'em clean enough.

Really though, although it sucks, the rest of the bike I LOVE! It's great. I look forward to riding it every day. The bike makes me feel "at home" if that makes any sense. It makes me feel confident, as the geometry can be set up to your liking in many ways. You can adjust the rear geometry to effectively change your head angle, and you can change the travel on the front fork, which I now have learned can really help steep climbs.
I had the same problems, then i got SRAM X-9 trigger and rear der.. Haven't even needed to adjust them in 5 months. Not even for cable strectch. I didn't change any of the routing, so maybe it was just the Sh*tmano crap. The teflon cables that came with the shifters prolly had a lot to do with it too though. :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
800 All The Way!!

sky84 said:
i'm trying to decide between these two bikes. both of them are under 2000, my daily rides are mostly trailing, some mild jumps, and may some time to time few xc riding. should i spend a bit more to get the 800 then 600? or just save some $$ and get 600?
Go 800 dude. First of all, the Lefty is the best, stiffest (one leg means no flex), lightest, most progressive fork out there. That alone should be enough to convince you. A Jekyll without a Lefty is like a Plasma TV with a VHS player, and not a DVD player. Second, the 800 comes with Hayse hydrolic disc brakes. The 600 comes with Avid mechanical disc brakes (basically a pretty, disc brake that works about as well as V brakes)
COME TO YOUR SENSES MAN!!!! :mad:

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Q-Tip said:
The 600 comes with Avid mechanical disc brakes (basically a pretty, disc brake that works about as well as V brakes)
I have to disagree on that one with you.... Avid mechs rule. No point of comparison with vees. After I switched to Avid mechs I will hardly go to another brake system. They really give you a hard time trying to justify to go hydro.

Go to the Brake Time Forum and see the opinions on Hayes brakes.

respect, bro!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree on the brakes also.

The Avid Mech's I found are pretty darned good.

Not sure what big advantage I would have gained with hyrdos.

There is an advantage to some degree, but it's the point of diminishing returns sometimes.

·
Out riding my Scalpel
249 Posts
Q-Tip said:
Go 800 dude. First of all, the Lefty is the best, stiffest (one leg means no flex), lightest, most progressive fork out there. That alone should be enough to convince you. A Jekyll without a Lefty is like a Plasma TV with a VHS player, and not a DVD player. Second, the 800 comes with Hayse hydrolic disc brakes. The 600 comes with Avid mechanical disc brakes (basically a pretty, disc brake that works about as well as V brakes)
I totally agree with this post. I have a Lefty on my Jekyll 1000 and love it. Its light and works great. Dude get the Jekyll 800 and never look back. The Jekyll 800 comes with Hayes HFX 9 brakes. Not bad! I perfer the Magura Marta SL which I have on my ride. The Jekyll is great bike. It might be too much bike for me but don't tell my lady that. I got a great deal on it, so I couldn't pass it up. I'm a happy Jekyll owner and very proud.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.