Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Angry bunny
Joined
·
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am almost convinced that I want a Jet but am a little confused on sizing.
I am 6'3" tall and weigh approx 85kg with a 35" inseam.
Going by the Geometry charts I can fit on a L or an XL.

My current 29er hardtails have a 24.5" TT and I run a 110mm stem and a BB to saddle of 80cm.

Anyone else similar?? If so, what are you riding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Why, oh why, do people only give their height anfd inseam and expect to be able to figure out what size bike they should ride? :madman: You need to take other important stuff into consideration like arm length, torso length and flexability. There's loads of taller guys riding what I consider smaller bikes than they should and I expect some of them think I run to big a bike for me - till they see a pic of me on it. This is because although I'm only 6'2" I have quite long arms and decent flexability it would seem :skep: I own an XL RIP9 and run a setback post with the saddle about centered on the rails and a 120/0 stem and flat bar.

Hope this at least helps somewhat. Just FYI, there are so many of these threads alrewady a search will turn up masses of them with the info you're looking for.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,815 Posts
TR said:
Well I am almost convinced that I want a Jet but am a little confused on sizing.
I am 6'3" tall and weigh approx 85kg with a 35" inseam.
Going by the Geometry charts I can fit on a L or an XL.

My current 29er hardtails have a 24.5" TT and I run a 110mm stem and a BB to saddle of 80cm.

Anyone else similar?? If so, what are you riding.
TR,

Man, it's so hard to tell as LyNx says when you are right in between. For instance, LyNx is 6'2" with primate length arms and on XL...I'm 6'2.5" 35.25 inseam and on a L. J.B. who bought an XL is 6'4"...below our bikes are side to side for comparison. Saddle height is not far off. The 25.25" top tube of an XL is pretty stretched for me (and the majority of people at 6'2") but we've put a few people on them based on them riding a 25 inch+ top tube on their current bike.

Brett
Niner Bikes
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Hey I resemble that remark :D Funny thing is, when I swapped out the rockers for Brett this summer, I didn't get a chance to actually ride it on any trails, but just cruising around the parking lot and over some curbs @ Mtn High the cockpit and bike actually felt OK :skep: FYI I have the exact same inseam as Brett 35.25"

Below are 2 images of me with my RIP9 when I first had it set up using a 120/6 stem flipped. I went from a GINAT Trance XL with a 24.5" ETT to the 25.25" on the RIP9 and really liked the increased cockpit room.

2melow said:
TR,

Man, it's so hard to tell as LyNx says when you are right in between. For instance, LyNx is 6'2" with primate length arms and on XL...I'm 6'2.5" 35.25 inseam and on a L. J.B. who bought an XL is 6'4"...below our bikes are side to side for comparison. Saddle height is not far off. The 25.25" top tube of an XL is pretty stretched for me (and the majority of people at 6'2") but we've put a few people on them based on them riding a 25 inch+ top tube on their current bike.

Brett
Niner Bikes
 

Attachments

·
Always Learning
Joined
·
9,608 Posts
TR said:
Well I am almost convinced that I want a Jet but am a little confused on sizing.
I am 6'3" tall and weigh approx 85kg with a 35" inseam.
Going by the Geometry charts I can fit on a L or an XL.

My current 29er hardtails have a 24.5" TT and I run a 110mm stem and a BB to saddle of 80cm.

Anyone else similar?? If so, what are you riding.
A lot of factors involving your age, flexibility, torso length, arm length, etc... go into consideration. I only mention my fit as a starting reference point....

I am your height and inseam (and close in kilograms at 81.x) which puts me in that "tweener" category of being able to fit on a L or an XL. And I just bought the XL JET 9. I'm moving from a Sugar 293 size XL which has more or less the same ETT (1/4" longer on the Sugar). I've been experimenting in the garage and out on the street in front of my house the past two days on ideal set up with stems, bars, spacers, etc... . I'll be running in the initial get go my fork set at 80mm, so that means my reach is a little longer than if the fork was set at 100mm. To dial in my fit, I will be using a 90mm stem/+6 degree rise and a 600mm flat bar with 12 degree bend. The 7 degree bend flat bar also works, but I'm going to try the 12 degree for fun. It's really comfy. I think with a size L JET, I would move to a 100 or 105mm stem and I prefer to run shorter stems on my 29"ers. Keeping the stem short helps "endo proof" my rides and quickens up my steering feel.

For reference, here's what a 6'3" guy looks like in profile on an XL race bike (my Sugar 293) which was not set up with my normal flat bar for XC racing. This is a wide Monkey Lite Easton riser bar and the width and less bend of those bars required me to run a 80mm stem instead of my 90mm.



As you can see, I like to sit a little more upright now that I am 47!!! But my fit is dialed in so that I can still bend over in the pull and crank grind it out climbs:



Same XL Sugar, quasi profile:



Different bike, but here's a profile of me descending on my XL Salsa Dos Niner frame. Pretty much the same ETT and just to show for illustration what a 6'3"/35 or so inseam rider looks like in profile. Again, stem is 90mm Thomson, bar is 600mm wide flat with 7 degree bend which is a perfect fit for me on this XL frame:



Again, another quasi profile shot of your size on an XL frame (Dos Niner XL here):



That being said, I'm sure I could dial in both the L and the XL in a frame such as the JET 9. And I am sure you are in the same boat. I like the stability of a longer frame for my needs and knew when I read the Niner geometry chart that the XL is as close to what I have been comfortable and running the past few years (Dos Niner and Sugar 293 in XL sizes).

I am not trying to talk you into either size, but just wanted you to see some examples of somebody who is pretty much the same size as you are in height and inseam (and weight). Core strength, flexibility, arm length, torso length may all be different, but I know we both hit our heads on the same car trunks, closets, car hoods and trees.:thumbsup:

I don't think I can get any profile shots of me on the JET 9 for a while since the weather (snow) is in December mode... But dang, it feels comfy. Too much ice on the street for me to do anything outside of a slow turn for fear of going down hard. I have tried it with the 100mm fork and the 80mm fork (older Reba forks with the 38mm offset). Either will work, but as I mentioned above will alter the reach to the bars a bit. The reach is shorter and higher with the 100mm setting, and lower and more stretched out with the 80mm setting. But I've got a box of stems and about 6 bars in the parts bin to play with and I don't think you will have a problem dialing in a great fit on either the L or the XL JET 9.

BB
 

·
Angry bunny
Joined
·
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here you go:

Inseam: 35
Trunk: 26
Forearm: 14
Arm: 27
Thigh: 25
Lower Leg: 23
Sternal Notch: 60
Total Body Height: 74

Competitive Cyclist says: Virtual Top Tube: 24.1 - 24.5 inches

Your thoughts??
 

·
Angry bunny
Joined
·
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of that input BB.
For the record I am 41 in a few weeks but have been told that my flexibility is very good.
I notice that you are using a 90mm stem and that is another question.
I read somewhere that a shorter stem is recommended. I have used a 110mm stem on every bike I have ever owned and so am concerned about the handling changes a shorter stem will bring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Measured my forearm and only got 11.5-12" elbow to wrist, total arm length though is 26" from under the arm pit to where the thumb starts. Dude, not sure how you did the measurements, but going by what you've got here I'd say, you're a closer relative to an Orangatang than I am :D So your measurements, unless I'm way more flexible than you are, to me, pointing at a XL.

As to the shorter stem thing :rolleyes: I've read this all over the place yet am totally happy running a 120m stem :skep: I guess if I rode bigger stuff I could go to a 110 or 100mm, but as I see it the JET9 is an XC machine not a Trail Bike like the RIP9 so it should suit a longer, more stretched out position.

TR said:
Here you go:

Inseam: 35
Trunk: 26
Forearm: 14
Arm: 27
Thigh: 25
Lower Leg: 23
Sternal Notch: 60
Total Body Height: 74

Competitive Cyclist says: Virtual Top Tube: 24.1 - 24.5 inches

Your thoughts??
 

·
Always Learning
Joined
·
9,608 Posts
TR said:
Thanks for all of that input BB.
For the record I am 41 in a few weeks but have been told that my flexibility is very good.
I notice that you are using a 90mm stem and that is another question.
I read somewhere that a shorter stem is recommended. I have used a 110mm stem on every bike I have ever owned and so am concerned about the handling changes a shorter stem will bring.
I used to run 120 and 130mm stems on my XL Trek 26" bikes. Moved to the 29"er platform and started out with 110mm. Went to 100mm. Then I went to 90 and 80mm stems. Paydirt!!! Great handling. Quick steering. No endos. Better neck and wrist pain management.

Plenty of 29"er builders/supporters recommending a longer TT and shorter stem on a 29"er as the way to go. It may not be for everyone, but when I tried it there was no turning back. I've got a box of stems which allows me to run whatever I want, but the shorter stems are my choice these days. The short stem allows me amazing steering and handling through switchbacks, tight tree lined singletrack and the stuff I read here in the Midwest. I never thought I would run such short stems, but hey - if it works, it works.

Now it is reach measurement that is more important. Not all 90 and 100mm stems are created equal depending on their "reach" due to the rise angle of the stem. And with all the different offsets of the forks - who knows what works best for each person? I've found what works for me. I just tried a 110, 100, 90, 80 and 75mm stem on the JET 9 yesterday. They all worked fine and dandy for my around the block rides, but the sweet spot for comfort and quick steering (on the ice) was the 90mm at 5 and or 6 degree rise (I tried both). Of course, that was with the forks I had and the reality of their steerer lengths being what they are (already cut). I imagine if I pull the spacer out and go to 100mm of travel on the REBA for my JET, the reach will change and a 100mm stem would be the sweet spot (with the bar I was trying yesterday at least).

BB
 

·
Angry bunny
Joined
·
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LyNx said:
Measured my forearm and only got 11.5-12" elbow to wrist, total arm length though is 26" from under the arm pit to where the thumb starts. Dude, not sure how you did the measurements, but going by what you've got here I'd say, you're a closer relative to an Orangatang than I am :D So your measurements, unless I'm way more flexible than you are, to me, pointing at a XL.
Definitely did the calculation the way it was set out in the Competitive Cyclist website but that is very different to the way you have done i.

Based on the method you have used my arm measurement is about 23".
Elbow to wrist is about 11.5".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
I'm not sure why this is so hard. TT length is the most important measurement on a bike. If he is currently running a 24.5" tt with a 110mm stem then he's going to want that same set up and feel. Now it's a question of whether to run that same set up on a Large Jet or go with the XL. Personally I think running a longer stem makes bikes handle too sketchy for my taste. Running a shorter stem slows the handling down a little, centers you on the bike better and makes it easier to get your butt behind the saddle. Also the longer wheelbase will add a little more stability to the bike.

TR for me it's a no-brainer I think you would be better suited on an XL with a 90mm stem. If you are comfortable on your current set up this should feel perfect to you. Either way you go I hope you enjoy your new bike.
 

·
Angry bunny
Joined
·
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tigerwah said:
Personally I think running a longer stem makes bikes handle too sketchy for my taste. Running a shorter stem slows the handling down a little, centers you on the bike better and makes it easier to get your butt behind the saddle. Also the longer wheelbase will add a little more stability to the bike.
I dont understand this part.
A shorter stem will speed up the handling I believe.
Certainly the front wheel will turn faster which is what I equate with faster handling. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
A shorter stem will speed up the handling I believe.
Not at all. A longer stem adds more leverage to the front end making the steering quicker. Why do you think DH racers use short stems? The last thing they would want is super fast handling right? A shorter stem adds stability. Also a shorter stem changes your center of gravity on the bike. A longer stem shifts your weight forward which will again quicken your handling. I guarentee this is a topic that will cause some debate but I've experimented quite a bit with this to know what I'm talking about. If you're like me you may have stems of different lengths laying around so experiment and see for yourself. I'm assuming you're like most XC riders and want stability and neutral handling if that is the case a longer tt and shorter stem combo is your huckleberry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
As TigerWash said, think in terms of levearge and movement needed the further away something gets. It's why you add a piece of pipe to a wrench to apply more torque, same thing with the stems........the longer the stem, the less steering input is needed to achieve a given dergree of turn compared to a shorter stem.
i.e. Shorter stem + wider bars = more stability = DHs, Long stem + narrower bars = twitchy as hell = XC racers.
 

·
Angry bunny
Joined
·
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tigerwah said:
TR for me it's a no-brainer I think you would be better suited on an XL with a 90mm stem. If you are comfortable on your current set up this should feel perfect to you. Either way you go I hope you enjoy your new bike.
Given that Lynx is on an XL with his Orang-utan arms (26") vs me with my stumpy little 23" long arms I am still left wondering about the need for me to be on an XL. Sure I could shorten my stem by 10mm or so but overall my saddle will end up the same height from the BB and my bars will end up being the same distance from my saddle in order for me to be comfortable on the bike.

The bike will be used for endurance riding and events as a lot of my local "fun riding" is done on my SS or on the road, if that helps
 

·
NMBP
Joined
·
1,158 Posts
OK, I must be King Kong then.
Inseam: 38.75
Trunk: 27.5
Forearm: 16.25
Arm: 28.25
Thigh: 26.5
Lower Leg: 24.5
Sternal Notch: 64.5
Total Body Height: 77.75

Don't know if this helps, but I just ordered a new XL RIP9. I was lucky enough to test ride an XL, and it felt great. I believe it had a 120 stem. Competitive Cyclist recommended a HTT of 24.9 - 25.3 inches for an ''all mountain" frame for me. The RIP is 25.25. The freakin' bike is amazing by the way. Probably overkill for where I live, but I do not care.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
TR are there any shops around with other bikes that have similar geometry to the Jet? Since you're still wavering it makes sense to go and ride bikes of different sizes to really get a feel for what you want.
That being said if I were working at a shop and you came in I wouldn't waste my time sizing you on a large. Based off of your measurements the XL is right size for you. The old school philosophy would put you on the smaller frame. But the current (and correct) trend is to go with the larger size.
 

·
Angry bunny
Joined
·
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tigerwah said:
TR are there any shops around with other bikes that have similar geometry to the Jet? Since you're still wavering it makes sense to go and ride bikes of different sizes to really get a feel for what you want.
That being said if I were working at a shop and you came in I wouldn't waste my time sizing you on a large. Based off of your measurements the XL is right size for you. The old school philosophy would put you on the smaller frame. But the current (and correct) trend is to go with the larger size.
The simple answer to your question is no there is not.
I have to say that I will need something pretty compelling to convince me to change from the 24.5" TT that I am used to. It seems to me that the XL would see me at the lowest end of those people that will fit on an XL vs being in the middle of the sizing for the L.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
I have to say that I will need something pretty compelling to convince me to change from the 24.5" TT that I am used to
Well buddy why even start the thread if you already know what you want? Buy the large and be happy.:)
 

·
Angry bunny
Joined
·
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tigerwah said:
Well buddy why even start the thread if you already know what you want? Buy the large and be happy.:)
Easy tiger.
No need to get upset just because I said I need some compelling reasons to go to the bigger frame.
I have not said I was definitely doing one thing or another.
So far I have had you say go for the XL; Lynx said the XL but I am assuming on the basis of some measurements I provided vs his measurements (which were done differently). Using his method my arms are 3" (750mm) shorter than his and yet you still think I can get away with the same size ETT but just with a shorter stem.
BB said that I can easily fit on both bikes depending on whether I want a shorter stem or a longer one. 2melow basically said the same thing.

I am looking to throw down a major chuck of change with no ability to test ride this bike or any other that is similar so all I am trying to do is my homework as best I can.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top