Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my Jet lites (finally upgraded from my old vista lights - remember those ! ) and have a few questions which I'm hoping other users of these can give me some comments

Firstly is there anyway to know which light contains which bulb. I think there is supposed to be a 12 w and a 20 w. Maybe my eyes are getting old, but I cant tell any difference and they both seem to have the same spread with the same brightness ?

Also, using the 5 way switch, the step down (75 and 50%) only seems to be applied to one light - presume this is how its supposed to work ? Assuming this, which light do you apply it to the 20 w or the 12 w ? (just in case I finally figure which light has which bulb in !)

Thanks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
G'day Jasra

The 12 watt is a spot beam and the 20 watt is a spread beam. Point them at a wall (4 foot away) and it will become obvoius which is the 12 & 20.

As to the variable power switch. You can choose to fit it to either the 20 or 12.

You will note that there are 3 leads from the switch.

One lead go's to your battery (the only one that has the pin orintation to fit the battery, this lead will NOT fit the leads that come directly from the two light heads).

Of the other two leads, the centre one is the one that controls the variable power switch. Plug this one to the light head that you wish to be able to dim. (it is the middle one on my 2 year old JETS, perhaps they have changed - you will have to check this yourself)

I choose to use the dimmer on the 12 watter. The 12 watter is the main light i use and is heaps for general trail riding (when combined with 15 watts on the helmet) and can be dimmed for fire road climbs to conserve power. The 20 watter is used for those fast and/or knarly decents.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Jawry

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jawry,

Thanks for the info.

I'm still not convinced there is any difference between the two bulbs after the doing the 4ft wall test ! I wonder if its possible they inadvertently put 2 bulbs of the same kind ?

Anyway I'm going to use them for the first time tonight, hopefully it will become apparent on the ride.

We shall see...figuratively speaking !

·
Registered
147 Posts
Spot vs flood.

Best I can tell on my jets is that the flood has a smoother reflector and the spot has slight ridges in it to focus the light beam. I leave my flood connected to my handlebar clamp so I don't have to try to sort out which light is which when I go riding.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had the first ride with the lights and still couldn't differentiate between the two so I took them apart as CZ suggested, and I have two 12 watts !

I guess the good news is my eyes aren't as bad as I was beginning to believe.

Dammmmn !

·
Mmm... Tasty
700 Posts
Jasra said:
Had the first ride with the lights and still couldn't differentiate between the two so I took them apart as CZ suggested, and I have two 12 watts !

I guess the good news is my eyes aren't as bad as I was beginning to believe.

Dammmmn !
No, the good news is that you'll probably get a spare 12W bulb out of the deal as JET should you a 20W to make up for their mistake.

On my old set (6+ years?), the backs were marked with a 12 or 20 stamp... not that it does anything to help you.

-Damon

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi Jasra

You could be right - two bulbs the same. I checked mine agin last night and there is a very noticable difference in beam spread between 20 and 12. Brightness appears similar - as the 20 is more spread out and the 12 is a spot.

Maybe you will have to take the bulbs out of the head and have a look?

Cheers,

Jawry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.