Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, it was very late last night when I got this far.

Full build will be:

Frame - Jet9 (L)
Crankset - XTR M970 inc BB cups
Rotors - Alligator windcutter inc bolts
Brake - front Formula Puro (ti bolts and a2z guide
Brake - rear Formula Puro (ti bolts and adaptor)
Cables and Housing Jagwire Ripcord
Cassette XT
Chain KMC X10SL
Front derailleur Shimano M771 with ti kit
Rear derailleur SRAM X9 with ti kit
Fork 2009 Reba with Push-loc
Grips Ritchey foam + plugs
Handlebar KCNC Bare Bones
Headset Token TK116TBT
Top cap and bolt Fast Freddy + ti bolt
Headset spacers Carbon
Pedals Eggbeater SL
Skewers KCNC ti
Rim tape Stans
Saddle Selle Italia - SLR
Seatpost collar Token ti
Shifters X9 with Matchmaker and ti bolts
Stem Ritchey 4-Axis with ti bolt bolts
Wheels Hope Pro2 hubs laced to Stans Arch rims via DT Competition spokes
Seatpost Thomson Masterpiece with ti bolt kit
Tyres WTB Vulpines
Projected weight 25.2lb.
Just about every part I have is over its manufacturer weight with special mention going to the Vulpines where one was just over 500g and the other well over 600g.
I think I can easily get under 25lb despite not using any REAL weight weenie options.
Wheels in the pic are not the ones that will be on it upon completion. I am waiting on a set of Hope Hubs and my rims to show up and then will take my time building them up.
I am also currently using a Thomson Elite seatpost pending receipt of my Masterpiece later this month.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little further along.
Rainman, I reckon you were right about flipping the stem.
Just waiting on the white Jagwire Ripcords and my chain now.
I also purchased the XTR cranks as take-offs via Chain Reaction and did not realise that the tool needed was different to the one used for XT cranks. Ordered the tool today so that I can disassemble the non-drive arm and ultimately install the cranks.

Hopefully the rest of the parts I need will show over the next couple of days so that I can get out on her over the weekend.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Never knew the XTRs used a different cup than the other Hollowtech2 cranks or is it another setup completely?
Seriously, unless you have cash to burn and buy a new white fork, while you're waiting for the few parts to trickle in stip that Reba and paint it white :D Just to give you the confidence to do it I'll post up some inspiration. My grey Reba had seen way better days and was all scratched to hell so I stripped it and gave it a fresh coat and changed the colour :D -it has held up very well. I used some plastic spray paint seeing how the finish on the lowers is most likely PC and that's basically melted plastic.
Someone mentioned you need a red ano cage, take my advice and stick with black - I had red on my build for quite a while to "compliment" my other red ano parts but when I put onthe black cage it just looked so much better IMHO.

Oh and unless I missed something in this and the other thread i the 29er forum, it was me that said you'd do to run the stem normal ;)

Attachments

·
fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
448 Posts
Yes, tool to remove the non-drive arm from XTR cranks is unique to M970. Best to wait for it rather than 'gorilla' it off with some improvised element...

Nice Jet9, by the way. I should post some pics of mine...

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I just could not wait for the last parts to show up.
I HAD to ride her this weekend.
Yes I am impatient.
Dragged the XT cranks off the Mamasita and some cheap Shimano housing and Voila!!!

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
tigerwah said:
She's a beauty TR. So you rode it now what do you think? I know you had some concerns about flex and sizing. Does it work for you?
Hard to comment from todays ride.
It was a fire road ride with basically no singletrack.
Lots of climbing in both directions.
I had absolutely nothing from the first pedal stroke and had even more nothing by the end (too much riding over the Xmas break I think).
I am also unsure on the shock setting. I went by the RIP setup tips but only ended up using about 50% of my travel during the day.
I also think I forgot to factor in the 10mm of sag when setting up my seat height (have not had a dually for years) which may be why I was struggling.
Cannot say I noticed any flex though.

More rides needed.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
SAG, has NOTHING to do with your saddle height - NADA. You should use the same measurement whether it's on a rigid, HT or FS, saddle to crank does not change just because you have rear suspension.

As to not using all your travel, you shouldn't have, not by the description of your ride, unless we have different thinking on "fire road". When you get it on a trail, you should use or come close to using full travel prob once a ride, but if you don't hit any air or serious G-outs this could still be hard. I have my RIP9 set up so I usually use about 80-90% on any given ride and on occassion I use full travel.

TR said:
Hard to comment from todays ride.
It was a fire road ride with basically no singletrack.
Lots of climbing in both directions.
I had absolutely nothing from the first pedal stroke and had even more nothing by the end (too much riding over the Xmas break I think).
I am also unsure on the shock setting. I went by the RIP setup tips but only ended up using about 50% of my travel during the day.
I also think I forgot to factor in the 10mm of sag when setting up my seat height (have not had a dually for years) which may be why I was struggling.
Cannot say I noticed any flex though.

More rides needed.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LyNx said:
SAG, has NOTHING to do with your saddle height - NADA. You should use the same measurement whether it's on a rigid, HT or FS, saddle to crank does not change just because you have rear suspension.

As to not using all your travel, you shouldn't have, not by the description of your ride, unless we have different thinking on "fire road". When you get it on a trail, you should use or come close to using full travel prob once a ride, but if you don't hit any air or serious G-outs this could still be hard. I have my RIP9 set up so I usually use about 80-90% on any given ride and on occassion I use full travel.
Well there you go on the saddle height.
As I said I have not ridden a dually for many years and back then I did not even bother with measurements.
Someone today said they thought it looked too low and asked whether I had factored in sag. Knowing this guy he was possibly winding me up.
I agree with you on not using my travel. There were some rutted out sections but nothing major that would use much of my travel.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well here is a report.
The Jet climbs like a hardtail, even down to being able to jump out of the saddle on climbs if I need/want with not even a hint of bob.It still has the usual 29er hangups of gathering too much speed on any little downhill which needs to be washed off into Gap Creeks tight turns. The new offsets that have come out for 29er forks has definitely made it easier to manoeuvre the big wheels through the bends but the tight stuff still needs some muscle.
Climbed up Magic and then back down Lantana. I would have to say that I have NEVER ridden that trail as fast as I did today and I have never hads the confidence to drop/jump off stuff like I did today either.

Still did not stop me from nearly eating it on "The Dentist" twice.

More rides needed but I think I like this bike.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Sorry TR, I'm working on that side of me for '09. I know what you mean, when I first hopped on a rigid it felt weird after riding my FS for 2 years straight, my stroke was choppy feeling and it just plain felt weird. These days though I transition from one to the other with no such feeling and use a general 32.5" measurement from centre of BB to top of saddle in the centre and do fine 3-5mm adjustements from there - depending on what pedals/shoes I'm using on that bike and also depending on if my knee(S) are acting up, if they are I generally lower the saddle 3-5 mm and spin more.

Sounds like you've found a winner there, do you race? I'd love to say the same about the RIP9 and maybe I'm super picky, but I can still feel some bob if I jump out of the saddle, but definitely less than other bikes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.