Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Angry bunny
Joined
·
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Will post it up just so that I can say I was one of the first on the block.
Shallow, huh??

Oh well. It is my birthday today so I will be as shallow as I like. :p
 

Attachments

·
NMBP
Joined
·
1,158 Posts
Happy birthday to you!

Now THAT is a great birthday gift! :thumbsup: Congrats, that is a beautiful frame. I love that new white. Enjoy.

G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
:D LOL :D That's cool that it arrived on your birthday, hope you had a good one :thumbsup:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
Happy Birthday you lucky S.O.B.....:mad: I'm really happy for you even if It's doesn't show..;) Looking forward to the complete build...Congrats..CF...
 

·
Angry bunny
Joined
·
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Enough for tonight ( it is 11.40pm over here in Australia).



Full build will be:

Frame - Jet9 (L)
Crankset - XTR M970 inc BB cups
Rotors - Alligator windcutter inc bolts
Brake - front Formula Puro (ti bolts and a2z guide
Brake - rear Formula Puro (ti bolts and adaptor)
Cables and Housing Jagwire Ripcord
Cassette XT
Chain KMC X10SL
Front derailleur Shimano M771 with ti kit
Rear derailleur SRAM X9 with ti kit
Fork 2009 Reba with Push-loc
Grips Ritchey foam + plugs
Handlebar KCNC Bare Bones
Headset Token TK116TBT
Top cap and bolt Fast Freddy + ti bolt
Headset spacers Carbon
Pedals Eggbeater SL
Skewers KCNC ti
Rim tape Stans
Saddle Selle Italia - SLR
Seatpost collar Token ti
Shifters X9 with Matchmaker and ti bolts
Stem Ritchey 4-Axis with ti bolt bolts
Wheels Hope Pro2 hubs laced to Stans Arch rims via DT Competition spokes
Seatpost Thomson Masterpiece with ti bolt kit
Tyres WTB Vulpines
Projected weight 25.2lb.
Just about every part I have is over its manufacturer weight with special mention going to the Vulpines where one was just over 500g and the other well over 600g.
I think I can easily get under 25lb despite not using any REAL weight weenie options.
Wheels in the pic are not the ones that will be on it upon completion. I am waiting on a set of Hope Hubs and my rims to show up and then will take my time building them up.
I am also currently using a Thomson Elite seatpost pending receipt of my Masterpiece later this month.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Looking good so far, but Dude, you have to paint that Reba white to match the frame ;) :D Anxiously waiting first ride report on frame size and cockpit feel :D
 

·
Angry bunny
Joined
·
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LyNx said:
Looking good so far, but Dude, you have to paint that Reba white to match the frame ;) :D Anxiously waiting first ride report on frame size and cockpit feel :D
Dont tempt me on getting a white fork.
I am a bike builder on the edge as it is.

Interestingly with my saddle set mid rails and at its usual height of 80cm from BB centre the tip of the saddle is 61.5cm from the centre of the bar. On my Salsa with the same saddle height and similar rails position, I was always around 60cm.
Not sure how this works
 

·
Angry bunny
Joined
·
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TiRyder said:
The difference is probably due to the seat tube and/or head tube angles being different
I can see what you are saying but the ETT for each frame is still the same on paper. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Go for it

I'm sure there's someone who has a white one that wouldn't mind a swap :D OR just buy a Team in White :thumbsup:

TR said:
Dont tempt me on getting a white fork.
I am a bike builder on the edge as it is.
Most likely geo is different enough to account for this difference, although looking at the geo for the Salsa the ST is 1 degree slacker than the Niner. Front end could be lower on the JET, did you use the same stem and bars? What fork do you run on the Salsa, A to C?

TR said:
Interestingly with my saddle set mid rails and at its usual height of 80cm from BB centre the tip of the saddle is 61.5cm from the centre of the bar. On my Salsa with the same saddle height and similar rails position, I was always around 60cm.
Not sure how this works
 

·
Angry bunny
Joined
·
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LyNx said:
Most likely geo is different enough to account for this difference, although looking at the geo for the Salsa the ST is 1 degree slacker than the Niner. Front end could be lower on the JET, did you use the same stem and bars? What fork do you run on the Salsa, A to C?
Head tube is shorter on the Jet for sure, as I had an extra cm of steerer sticking out.
Stem and fork has been switched over from the Salsa so no change there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
The Jet has that curved seat tube too, so even though ST angle is steeper on the Jet the angle that the seat post goes in will probably be slacker. Remember EFTT is a horizontal line and you measuring to the tip of the saddle which is probably not. Also think about sag (fr&r) and fork crown to axle. Think the Jet was based on an 80mm fork and it looks like you have a '09 Reba set at 100mm. Rebas also have a longer axle to crown than the Fox I believe. It's a big big geometry problem.

That said, I have a same 100mm '09 Reba on my '08 Jet and think it is great. Spend too much time trying to figure it out and not enough time riding it you'll drive yourself crazy.

I decided to just go to the shop and sit on the bike to have them properly position me with it sagged etc. Made that big geometry problem easier to solve.
 

·
6'4"-6'9" with the afro
Joined
·
194 Posts
Lookin' good so far....

I just completed my build from a bare naked frame (SJ FSR 29er - XL). It is a fun and intense process--don't get frustrated and get er dun--you're gonna love it.

Question--that seat is way higher than your bars. Does the position of the seat relative to your handlebar height refect where it'll be for your riding position?

Looking good--have fun.
Stu
 

·
Angry bunny
Joined
·
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ridebikes said:
The Jet has that curved seat tube too, so even though ST angle is steeper on the Jet the angle that the seat post goes in will probably be slacker. Remember EFTT is a horizontal line and you measuring to the tip of the saddle which is probably not. Also think about sag (fr&r) and fork crown to axle. Think the Jet was based on an 80mm fork and it looks like you have a '09 Reba set at 100mm. Rebas also have a longer axle to crown than the Fox I believe. It's a big big geometry problem.

That said, I have a same 100mm '09 Reba on my '08 Jet and think it is great. Spend too much time trying to figure it out and not enough time riding it you'll drive yourself crazy.

I decided to just go to the shop and sit on the bike to have them properly position me with it sagged etc. Made that big geometry problem easier to solve.
Yep, there will most likely be some dialling in to do.
Reba is set at 80mm but I think that the A-C is longer than the Fox. I need to do some reading up on that but just want to get it built and then will go from there.
 
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Top