1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
hammerheadbikes said:
just got the Jet HID in..
here are the results

light test
Hotdam!!! That Jet looks good! I've never been all that impressed with the NR lights. It may be the same bulb but Jet is either using their own ballast or at least regulating the voltage in to properly drive the light.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Great comparo! That has certainly helped my purchase decision for a new HID setup. I currently own a Jet Lites Phantom i6 15W helmet light and am very impressed with the quality and build. Their new HID will be my new handlebar mounted light to complete my setup. I have been agonizing over a choice for some time, hard to part with a big chunk of change with fear of buyer's remorse. Thanks for the info.

·
Hoopy Frood
255 Posts
My only beef with JET Lites

Is that I have to choose between a bar mount or helment mount when I place my order.

I'm actually in the process of shopping for a HID now but I'd like a light with both bar and helmet mounts included so I can figure out which works better for me.

I think it's kind of weak that I might spend $400 on a lighting system and not have the flexibility to switch between mounting types. I realize their battery packs are different between models as well but if Niterider and L&M can do this, why not JET?

JET seems like a great company with some great products. If they included both mounting options, the purchase would be a no-brainer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am curious as to what NR light is being used. I have the Flamethrower which blows away the NR light in that comparison. The LEDs on the Flamethrower are about as bright as what is shown. Also, the red light in the button on the NR Flamethrower means the battery is out of juice. What's with the red light in the comparison?

Rob

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Interesting...

Yout noted in your write up that you made sure the batteries were charged. In the last (side by side) picture, it looks like the NR's low battery warning is on; the switch is red. Don't know if that makes a difference in your test, like perhaps it went to the lowest power mode or something?

Anyway, I've had good luck with NR but I know there are better lights out there. I'm not trying to discredit or dispute your findings, just wanted to as about that red switch.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just got off the phone with NR tech (not a cs guy, a real tech)

first off, there is no difference in bulb type or power between an older NR HID and the newer HID.

The difference is the newer one has a battery indicator that goes red on the headlamp if low, green is normal. Mine is an older one, thus the red light indicates it's on, nothing else..

an older battery can lose power over time and result in a bit of reduced light output. Perhaps mine has a bit less than when new. But I really haven't used it THAT much as I haven't "had" to do a lot of night riding over the past few years...

We tested it last night against several other NR HIDS and it was agreed the Jet was "better"

we sell all, so, I have no vested interest in this..
I do however really like Jim's company..

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Thanks for clearing things up. I appreciate you posting comparisons. It's really difficult to compare lights without them.

Since you sell both types....... Can you compare new current model NR HID with the new current model Jet? At this point I don't know whether the new Jet is better than the new NR...... or just better than an older model NR with an older battery.

I'd like to get another HID for my Helmet. I've always liked the build quality of the Jet lights and would love to see a new NR vs a new Jet comparison.

Thanks!

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
Don't you

Blue Shorts said:
Thanks for clearing things up. I appreciate you posting comparisons. It's really difficult to compare lights without them.

Since you sell both types....... Can you compare new current model NR HID with the new current model Jet? At this point I don't know whether the new Jet is better than the new NR...... or just better than an older model NR with an older battery.

I'd like to get another HID for my Helmet. I've always liked the build quality of the Jet lights and would love to see a new NR vs a new Jet comparison.

Thanks!
have 2 new light systems? What, now you will have 2 HID lights AND a halogen??? I guess I will sell my new JET Phantom systems and just ride behind you because I won't need a light with your tri-system :cool:

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Busted

scheckler said:
have 2 new light systems? What, now you will have 2 HID lights AND a halogen??? I guess I will sell my new JET Phantom systems and just ride behind you because I won't need a light with your tri-system :cool:
You got me.

I'm not all that thrilled with the new NR Halogen that I have, especially compared to your Jet Halogen. I'm considering a Jet Halogen like yours, or another HID (L&M or Jet). I'll see if I can get it as a xmas present :D

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
Aren't you

Blue Shorts said:
You got me.

I'm not all that thrilled with the new NR Halogen that I have, especially compared to your Jet Halogen. I'm considering a Jet Halogen like yours, or another HID (L&M or Jet). I'll see if I can get it as a xmas present :D
supposed to call me back?????

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know exactly which model NR HIDS we checked out last night.
one was an older, 3 year old system, the other two much newer
I can find out for sure, but like the NR tech said, there are no real differences other than the fact that with age battery power can weaken a bit..

the one in the pic was an older system, I can check voltage but not loaded voltage...

like I said, we sell them all, I don't care which one someone buys..

the Jet was to me as well as the others clearly the winner

·
Registered
170 Posts
hammerheadbikes said:
I don't know exactly which model NR HIDS we checked out last night.
one was an older, 3 year old system, the other two much newer
I can find out for sure, but like the NR tech said, there are no real differences other than the fact that with age battery power can weaken a bit..

the one in the pic was an older system, I can check voltage but not loaded voltage...

like I said, we sell them all, I don't care which one someone buys..

the Jet was to me as well as the others clearly the winner
I went to your web site and found it difficult to find stuff. could not find a listing for jet or a price.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.