Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am loving the Vana White Jet 9 so much and it pedals so well.....

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=484425

I thought I would try another experiement.....first ride will be tomorrow.
'09 Jet 9 Frame w/ RP23 Shock, Kermit Green
Fox F29 100mm
King Headset
TruVativ Noir Team Carbon Bar
Ritchey WCS stem
ESI Grips
Juicy Ultimates
Rohloff Rear Chain Tensioner
Forgot the name of the front chain guide??
Niner 20T cog
XTR cranks w/ 32t ring and FSA bashguard
Crank Bros 2 Ti pedals
I9/Stans Arch Wheels
Bontrager XDX 2.2 rear, Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 front
Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost
Fizik Aliante saddle

Attachments

·
2,821 Posts
A LOT of people actually have emailed me about setting up the JET9 as a SS. Rohloff's seem to be popular, and I know of at least two people who have emailed me saying this http://yess.myshopify.com/products/etr-b-bracket-chain-tensioner might work due to the very small chain growth of our CVA design. Haven't heard reports back yet though from them.

I've got my JET down under 25 pounds set up 1x9, I wonder what it would be taking all the gears, derailleur and shifter off!

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
I'd be more inclined to set up a Surly Singulator for taking up the slack in the chain line. Running a derailleur with a single cog will cost you about 2 to 3% drag with all the chain bending both ways in sharp arcs around the derailleur.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2melow said:
A LOT of people actually have emailed me about setting up the JET9 as a SS. Rohloff's seem to be popular, and I know of at least two people who have emailed me saying this http://yess.myshopify.com/products/etr-b-bracket-chain-tensioner might work due to the very small chain growth of our CVA design. Haven't heard reports back yet though from them.

I've got my JET down under 25 pounds set up 1x9, I wonder what it would be taking all the gears, derailleur and shifter off!
Yeah I was surprised how much the Rohloff chain tensioner didn't move when I let all of the air out of the shock and fully compressed it......that b.b. tensioner could be a good option too.

Mine is an XL and as it sits it is 24.75lbs....with a smaller frame and different tires you could get it at or below 24lbs pretty easily.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Very annoying design

It has absolutely ZERO to do with chain growth and more to do with the suspension design that you need the tensioner :madman: One very annoying thing about the CVA design, that's for damn sure :madman: I had a several mile walk out because of the design when I broke off my RD mid way on a trail and couldn't run it SS because the under the BB design kept hitting the chain and knocking it off - luckily I had the stay wrapped in an old tube or it would have gotten gouged while I was trying it.

2melow said:

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
That thing will be so amazingly fun. Enjoy.

Here is how I know:

Fun with a capital F. Funnest bike I have ever ridden.

I would love to try a Jet SS

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
918XC do you work for that site or have an affiliation with it? If so then not to be a PITA, but you need to put that in your SIG - if everyone else has to do it you should to.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I am affiliated

LyNx said:
918XC do you work for that site or have an affiliation with it? If so then not to be a PITA, but you need to put that in your SIG - if everyone else has to do it you should to.
LYNX - my user name is 918xc, my avatar is our logo, and my signature is our website. I had hope those things would make it clear I am affiliated w/ 918XC.
I have made the change to my signature per your request to further clarify. Hope that helps clear everything up.

Thanks, 918XC

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
I believe it is per the websites request, not LyNx's request. Read the rules, vendors are supposed to register and state their affiliation as well as pay a fee for advertising. This is an enthusiast's site and MTBR encourages those in it for profit to have a minor expense incurred for using the association and marketing opportunity that MTBR supplies. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
It as RB said not per my request, but web site rules and ALL the other vendors and people associated with companies do it, so I see no reason you should be any different.

918XC said:
LYNX - my user name is 918xc, my avatar is our logo, and my signature is our website. I had hope those things would make it clear I am affiliated w/ 918XC.
I have made the change to my signature per your request to further clarify. Hope that helps clear everything up.

Thanks, 918XC

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RandyBoy said:
I believe it is per the websites request, not LyNx's request. Read the rules, vendors are supposed to register and state their affiliation as well as pay a fee for advertising. This is an enthusiast's site and MTBR encourages those in it for profit to have a minor expense incurred for using the association and marketing opportunity that MTBR supplies. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
I believe we are in compliance:

Manufacturer/Retailer Posting Guidelines:

• All Manufacturers / Vendors / Shop Owners / Sponsored Riders should declare their status as a Retailer / Manufacturer in their signature
• Online selling of parts, components or bikes will be accompanied by a paid ad and properly labeled as "Ad" with a link to the paid classified ad or mtbr sponsorship.
• Any one reviewing or testing products and / or components online must state whether they have a vested interest in the product up front. They should state whether they bought the product or they got the product free or with an industry deal or are prohibited from saying negative things about a product.
• All links in a signature for articles for sale should be removed before posting. No "under the signature" shilling or free advertising allowed.
However, if you own or work for a bike shop, you MAY put a link to your shops website main page to show your affiliation.(this bullit point updated by gregg 6/7/07)
• Manufacturers and Industry folks are encouraged to respond to any questions directed about their product. This is the perfect opportunity to inform and 'set the record straight.'
• Bottom line: Participate and post content in mtbr. Don't use mtbr to get free money for your business. Sponsoring mtbr assures our survival and is very affordable. [email protected] and [email protected] for more info.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Chosing to be an ass about it, really is your choice. As stated web site addresses in SIGs is allowed and loads of peole have them for their fav shops, so just posting your address in your SIG DOES NOT say that you own/have vested interest in the site/business.

918XC said:
I believe we are in compliance:

Manufacturer/Retailer Posting Guidelines:

• All Manufacturers / Vendors / Shop Owners / Sponsored Riders should declare their status as a Retailer / Manufacturer in their signature
• Online selling of parts, components or bikes will be accompanied by a paid ad and properly labeled as "Ad" with a link to the paid classified ad or mtbr sponsorship.
• Any one reviewing or testing products and / or components online must state whether they have a vested interest in the product up front. They should state whether they bought the product or they got the product free or with an industry deal or are prohibited from saying negative things about a product.
• All links in a signature for articles for sale should be removed before posting. No "under the signature" shilling or free advertising allowed.
However, if you own or work for a bike shop, you MAY put a link to your shops website main page to show your affiliation.(this bullit point updated by gregg 6/7/07)
• Manufacturers and Industry folks are encouraged to respond to any questions directed about their product. This is the perfect opportunity to inform and 'set the record straight.'
• Bottom line: Participate and post content in mtbr. Don't use mtbr to get free money for your business. Sponsoring mtbr assures our survival and is very affordable. [email protected] and [email protected] for more info.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LyNx said:
Chosing to be an ass about it, really is your choice. As stated web site addresses in SIGs is allowed and loads of peole have them for their fav shops, so just posting your address in your SIG DOES NOT say that you own/have vested interest in the site/business.
It is unfortunate you feel I am being an ass about it.....As you pointed out in your original post my User Name/Avatar/Web Address in the SIG was not enough clarification that I am associated w/ 918XC.
My intent was to give you props and post in my signature that you felt we needed more clarification. I would hope you would take it as a compliment that I listened to your suggestion and gave you due respect for offering it.
I posted the rules to show that we are in compliance so everyone can be on the same page and go on with happy mtbr forum browsing.

Happy Trails

·
4 Niners
2,124 Posts
918;

I can see where LyNx is probably not happy with you siting him in your signature because anyone that didn't see this thread by reading your signature would be likely to assume that LyNx had some affiliation with you and the web site. I don't think you did it maliciously, but read it from the perspective of a new member.

Peace to all~

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
Guys...please keep it friendly ;)

Lynx, there is no need for insults/namecalling, we appreciate that you guys are helping enforce the rules, however I think 918XC has been upfront about his affiliation.

918XC, please just state you affiliation clearly in your sig, and thanks for complying with the rules.

now back to your regular Jet 9 SS programming

·