Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Expert Crasher
Joined
·
6,359 Posts
Good on ya.

Lenz has the Milk Money - why not a SS Jet?

Go have some fun on it and report back!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GreenLightGo said:
Good on ya.

Lenz has the Milk Money - why not a SS Jet?

Go have some fun on it and report back!
So sad....been raining all day, don't want to trash the trails and my bike....maybe tomorrow I can get do the first ride, hasn't been raining real hard, trails may soak it up pretty quick
 

·
Expert Crasher
Joined
·
6,359 Posts
918XC said:
So sad....been raining all day, don't want to trash the trails and my bike....maybe tomorrow I can get do the first ride, hasn't been raining real hard, trails may soak it up pretty quick
That's part of the SS beauty - no drivetrain to get fouled by mud. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got to ride

The trails are finally drying out and was able to get an hour ride in....doing a 4 hour ride tomorrow.
First shake down ride was great....went through as many rock gardens (pics attached)climbing/descending as possible.....chain/drivetrain didn't miss a beat, no skipping, no chain dropping, basically just like riding the geared bike and never shifting.
I didn't feel like I was at a disadvantage when really powering/torquing on the pedals being on an FS frame vs. HT frame. The CVA did a wonderful job of staying firm and not bobbing when pedaling standing or seated.
I felt like I had an advantage on the technical climbs as the rear tire stayed glued to the ground and didn't hop around like an HT. Then on the technical DHs it just wasn't fair how much faster I could go through those vs. on a HT SS.
Tomorrow will be a true test, but right now I am feeling the Jet 9 SS may be the SS to roll on 95% of the race courses I will hit this year.
 

Attachments

·
Expert Crasher
Joined
·
6,359 Posts
Nice...at worst, you could run PP1 and stiffen it up a hair to ensure you're getting zero bob. Promising report though....
 

·
recognize the slowness
Joined
·
483 Posts
I thought I recognized that piece of trial...

Good ole Turkey Mtn or rock crawl depending on what part you are on.

Hope to see you on the trail soon. Rain has been killing my spirits as well here.

Saw the setup on a different thread, looked great. A friend has a Milk Money and loves it. Maybe someday I will get an FS bike and it would help if I could easily set it up SS...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jbflyfshr said:
I thought I recognized that piece of trial...

Good ole Turkey Mtn or rock crawl depending on what part you are on.

Hope to see you on the trail soon. Rain has been killing my spirits as well here.

Saw the setup on a different thread, looked great. A friend has a Milk Money and loves it. Maybe someday I will get an FS bike and it would help if I could easily set it up SS...
Good recognition...that is Turkey Mountain...pics are from last summer, but you get the idea. The trails are clear to ride now....a little damp, but not muddy and you won't tear them up riding them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GreenLightGo said:
Nice...at worst, you could run PP1 and stiffen it up a hair to ensure you're getting zero bob. Promising report though....
True...I did run it in PP2 for a little while and didn't feel it was needed most of the time, so ran wide open. PP2 would be stellar on smooth terrain, PP1 might be stellar for all conditions. I will try that tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was able to get 3.5hrs in last Sunday. The trails were mostly smooth, non-technical trails. We also put in about 6-8 miles on fireroads. The Jet9 SS did not dissapoint! The suspension in the rear did a great job of keeping the fatigue at bay, especially on the lower back.
There were some short steep (20%+ grade) climbs, but mostly flat, smooth, flowy trails. I did not sense any bob from the rear suspenion even on the 20% climbs when really torquing to get to the top.....I wouldn't say it was as rock solid as a HT SS, but definitely no bob....kinda hard to describe exactly I suppose.
I did start feeling the 2.5-2.75 extra lbs in my legs (vs. my One9) after a couple hours, but I think alot of that was offset because I wasn't getting beat up.
I will say that for race day on a smooth, non-technical course the HT SS is probably the way to go so you lose the weight and have the bike feeling ultra responsive.
On the technical, rocky race courses I will say the Jet9 SS will be the way to go.
Since those are the courses I like the most...I will be racing the Jet most of the time!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mtroy said:
Interesting. I still struggle with the concept of SS and FS together. Seems odd, but first Enel and his Milk Money and now you and the JET. I may have to try this someday.
I hear ya....it took me a while to warm up to it, but I am really happy I have tried it out. There are really some great things about an FS SS...mainly, for me at least, big benefits on rough terrain/longer rides.
Now if somone could come up w/ a Softail SS??!! Wait....Blacksheep makes one, yeah??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
918XC said:
I hear ya....it took me a while to warm up to it, but I am really happy I have tried it out. There are really some great things about an FS SS...mainly, for me at least, big benefits on rough terrain/longer rides.
Now if somone could come up w/ a Softail SS??!! Wait....Blacksheep makes one, yeah??
I'm loving the Jet9 in SS clothing, glad its working out so good for you.

Alot of people run Dos Niners in SS mode with great results.
 

·
Powered by ice cream.
Joined
·
6,359 Posts
mtroy said:
Interesting. I still struggle with the concept of SS and FS together. Seems odd, but first Enel and his Milk Money and now you and the JET. I may have to try this someday.
It is just really fun. Hard to describe. Better? Maybe not. Depends on how you define it. Fun? Oh yeah.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1st Race on the Jet9 SS

I raced it for the first time last weekend.....it was the perfect SS choice for that course. It was a very rough, rocky, rooty course w/ 1,300 feet of technical climbing per lap.
I didn't have any issues w/ the chain dropping or skipping. The suspension let me blast through the rough sections alot faster than if I was on a HT, and the suspension actually let me stay seated alot more up the rough climbs....feel like I saved a lot of energy because of that.
I definitely feel like I had an advantage on that course because of the bike I was on.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top