Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: It's installed. Jet 9 link test...

I have a pair of these coming from a shop I use to try on Thursday for a race Saturday. We designed these on our own in SolidWorks, did an FEA and think they will do until the revised Niner pieces arrive. I think Niner is doing a great job on the revision.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
those look great and I like that you kept the original curved ends. what is the weight difference?

·
Superflying on Haven
638 Posts
I think these look even stronger than the new Niner design:thumbsup: . You could get some money selling them...Do you take special order :D

·
Registered
386 Posts
Padre said:
Pretty sure you are wrong on that. If I'm not mistaken it was the heat treatment of the metal.
I thought it was the Schlemberger process when applied to the Werth joint. I'm pretty sure the failure occurred as a result of microplasms forming in the octerior membrane of the alloy that they used.

Pretty sure that was it, no?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After I fit the first set off the CNC I'll know if the drawings were perfect. If that goes well, I'll offer them up but I imagine the pricing won't be great. These aren't straight hunks of billet cut on a band saw and then taken to a mill/drill press. Not to mention all the time into SolidWorks, but it's all for fun I guess. I can understand why Niner wouldn't want to just cut a big pile of chips and send us these in the mean time since it's a good amount of money to make these on the CNC. I suppose if we were running a big pile of them the costing picture would change, but no one needs a pile of these right now.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the finished piece...

We didn't fully machine out the rear relief area. The FEA said OK, but for a few grams who cares. Rode it this morning. Dialed!

·
Feet back and spread 'em!
624 Posts
were they cracking? if so where? how is yours improved from the original? was the boss gone that day (solidworks+machine time)?

·
Feet back and spread 'em!
624 Posts
speaking of the lefty, how 'bout a single-sided pivot? that'd be a cool project that folks might buy. still need 2 bearings, but looks like you could make fwd & aft ends single-sided. just an idea.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
stratmosphere said:
We didn't fully machine out the rear relief area. The FEA said OK, but for a few grams who cares. Rode it this morning. Dialed!
nice work on the machining - it looks fine as is

1 - 18 of 18 Posts