Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well 6 x 8km laps in what I admit were absolutely appalling conditions (mud, water and more mud) have lead to the bearings in my Jet9 being destroyed.
The bearings in the rear would have perhaps 500km in them if they are luck and the 2 in the front triangle have 6 x 8km laps in them (new front triangle). The driveside feels like it is full of cube shaped bearings while the non-driveside is "OK" (not great).

Is this normal???
Went to the local bearing shop and they had the correct sized Enduro bearings (6901).. The guy there said that most bearings he had seen in bikes these days were rubbish and he had seen many people replacing them after a couple of rides.

Seems that these are no different.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
If you got a new front triangle - I'd look more towards installation issues as the cause of the bearing failure over 48kms of useage in poor conditions.

I toasted a set of bearings on my old 5x5 by not using the proper torque. In this case, I used too much. After updating with Enduro and using the proper torque - they were smooth as could be with a good long service life.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,356 Posts
Can you notice the problem with the bearings while riding, or only in the work stand?

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only in the stand, but bearings not turning at all is not something I plan to leave as is.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Proper Torque??

If being over-torqued caused the failure...what is the proper torque for the bearings?

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Ottoreni said:
If being over-torqued caused the failure...what is the proper torque for the bearings?
Depends on what the manufacturer specs. On my Turner, the pivots are 17 ft_lbs, shock bolts 50 in_lbs and rear (chainstay/seatstay) pivots, 40 in_lbs.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Your kidding aren't you?

Ride in conditions like that and you have to expect parts to wear out that fast, your not the only one who wore out parts that day, pay the money to get it fixed and quit winging, or don't ride in those conditions...

·