Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a T-shirt guy, but I am looking into getting some jerseys because I hear they help you stay cooler. I have looked at the t-shirt style technical shirts and I am wondering if there a big difference in the fabric they use. All of the manufacturers brag about their cool/wick/dry fabric. Is it all the same, or are some better. What about the ones that are treated vs. not treated does the treatment last after washing all the time? bottom line, I want to stay cool and have something that will last. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
No, they are not all the same. There are some variations in fiber content but most are some form of polyester. The differences are in the different weights, knit styles and yarn shape/treatments.

That said, most any of them are going to keep you cooler/dryer and more comfortable that a cotton t-shirt and wear pretty well. Look for a fairly thin jersey with a long zipper that fits you well with a design you like

·
Registered
143 Posts
What about dry-fit t-shirts?

They are the same material as jerseys, have the look of a t-shirt and can be had at Target (Cool-Max) for about $15.00 as opposed to $50 for a jersey. I have always been a T-shirt guy too and went this route in search of cooler shirts.

STPForever said:
I have been a T-shirt guy, but I am looking into getting some jerseys because I hear they help you stay cooler. I have looked at the t-shirt style technical shirts and I am wondering if there a big difference in the fabric they use. All of the manufacturers brag about their cool/wick/dry fabric. Is it all the same, or are some better. What about the ones that are treated vs. not treated does the treatment last after washing all the time? bottom line, I want to stay cool and have something that will last. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
118 Posts
jakey said:
They are the same material as jerseys, have the look of a t-shirt and can be had at Target (Cool-Max) for about $15.00 as opposed to $50 for a jersey. I have always been a T-shirt guy too and went this route in search of cooler shirts.
I'm with Jakey. As cool as some of the jerseys look, I've never been one of those guys that needed to spend $60 for a shirt. I bought all my shirts from Target and Walmart for under $10 each.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Try it, you'll like it! Pearl Izumi, FOX, and Sugoi.

I used to wear t-shirts too--big mistake.

And there are giant differences between bike jerseys--I have a lot of different ones--but it's kind of like choosing a gear, different jerseys for different situations.

Overall, the best brand for bike wear in my opinion is a toss-up between Pearl Izumi, Sugoi, and FOX Racing.

FOX clothing is rather pricey--they're all pricey, but FOX in particular--but if you're looking for the most functional clothing for offroad cycling FOX is it. It's highly durable and has saved my a$$ in many crashes.

Pearl Izumi makes great stuff all around. If I have to recommend one brand only, it's Pearl Izumi. The great thing is that Pearl Izumi's stuff is fit for a lot of different sports besides cycling. Particularly in harsh conditions--cold, rain, snow, typhoons--Pearl Izumi is my absolute number one choice.

Sugoi makes great clothing and it's extremely comfortable. I've even had people tell me they love the design of my jersey apart from cycling. It's nice to wear something that works like it's supposed to, is comfortable, and looks good besides.

Besides a bicycle jersey, if you're going to splurge, get yourself a good cycling jacket and maybe a vest. I recommend both the FOX Tech jacket and Pearl Izumi outerwear most highly.

John

·
Am I getting too bulky?
800 Posts
For jerseys, the best and most rugged are the Zoic Libertees. When you run through patches of thorn bushes, or play pinball wizard with the trees on the trail, the heavier duty fabric that this jersey is made of, comes through. It also stays dry, and I sweat buckets, so that says a lot. Cotton t-shirts bite the big one. Wearing a wet rag for two or three hours os not my idea of enjoyable, and that's where the Zoic comes through again. They are a t-shirt designed for mountain bikers. I even wear them on the road.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
There's some difference

Even amongst jerseys. I have a cheap arse copy of a USPS jersey and the original VW-Trek Regional jersey by De Marchi. The De Marchi wins to the cheap jersey. It stays cooler and dryer. Fit is a bit better also.

Now, the difference may be subtle but it is there and the price difference is $40 dollars. You make the call.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Lose the wet t-shirt contest. Get stuff cheap.

Absolutely agreed. I'd rather lose the wet t-shirt contest, especially in cool, damp conditions that I suffered hypothermia in until I got smart.

On the other hand, there was a really good point brought up about price. These days there's a lot of good clothing made out of the right materials for cheap. For instance, my number one recommendation for cold weather riding wear is to get yourself the cheapest polar-fleece sweater there is. I have two: one I bought at the GAP on clearance and the other I bought out a bargain bin for $5--there's nothing better even though Pearl Izumi makes very pricey polar fleece and wool winter wear.

Again, don't wear a cotton T under it. You could go with one of those Cool-Max shirts though. They're not as good as a high tech bike jersey, but they do an OK job.

As for my expensive stuff, for all but a couple of items, I bought them all off the clearance rack. It just goes with my motto--"Never pay full price for anything!"

·
surly inbred
1,539 Posts
check out places like this...

look here

They carry some good materials without the swooshes & branded prices. I've been wearing this stuff for years (when it used to be called polyester) as layers under hunting gear. As mentioned above... you'll never go back to the wet t-shirt contest.

·
Chatham NJ
477 Posts
search google for duofold. They make some light t-shirts, that dry extremely quick. They will keep you cool. I wear them when im camping, and they definately hold up enough for mountain biking.

I wear something like this
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=38303144&memberId=12500226
You can probably find them at camping type stores, or just buy them online at campmor.
If you want a shirt with a zipper, check out this one
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39145585&memberId=12500226
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=32287022&memberId=12500226

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
jakey said:
They are OK but I like having the front zipper for ventilation and back pockets. Even if I am wearing a water pack I carry GU, eye drops and such in the jersey pockets.

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
watch for a clearence sale at performance

STPForever said:
keep an eye out over on the "Where are the Best deals" forum on this site. alot of 20% off coupons will show up for Perforemance Bike. then surf to performance and look for some close out stuff.

most of the coupons are for 50$ or more so I usually wait and stock up. I get Pearl Izumi
jerseys and shorts. If you are just thinking about jerseys then think about shorts too. You never had it so good once you get a chamois in your shorts.
Performance also has some house brand stuff that is way cheap, some people like it - I tried it but sent it back because it was not as good as my old Pearl Izumi jerseys.

I've tried the cheap target or wall mart brand shirts and polar fleece stuff and its OK until you try one that is made for cycling or a made well like North face then you realize that you were just making do.

http://www.altrec.com/shop/dir/outlet/ has some super cheap close outs on high tech gear - I've picked up some mighty nice stuff from them as well.
they have great sales and sometimes free shipping.
I always end up finding a great deal over there if I look around in the outlet or clearance section.

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
The best bet for riding in averagely warm weather is a wicking undervest and then a full zip short sleeved cycling top over the top.

It also has the advantage that if you crash the two layers move together saving some skin.:)

I've got a Helly Hansen Lifa undervest which was originally a T-shirt but I cut the sleeves and waist off. It needs to be a tight fit to wick the sweat properly but they always seem to make the arms and neck stitching too tight on the vests.:(

I've never actually ridden in anything but club jerseys but coolmax or similar always seems to work well.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.