Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
That’s no moon.
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I work for a cycling jersey company.

A lot of our stuff is full custom right now (i.e. one of a kind, submitted by or specifically created for each customer) but I'm hoping to add some stock jerseys up on our web store that would be ready-made. I'm trying to get an idea of what people would be looking for as far as design, price, etc.

Which would you prefer,
1. Simple jerseys with minimal logos and an interesting design,
2. Your own team name, logo or other text added to the design,
3. "Team kit" style with corporate logos, maybe your bike brand or something?

And what do you think a fair price for this would be? Would it be worth more to you if the jersey was 100% made in the US?

Sorry if this is considered spam, PM or ignore me if you wish.

·
Drunken fool
228 Posts
cackalacky said:
Which would you prefer,
I prefer a simple loose fit jersey with a nice design rather than logos. Just my opinion, but why should I pimp some companies logo?

And what do you think a fair price for this would be? Would it be worth more to you if the jersey was 100% made in the US?
Yes I would pay more for made in the USA...generally I spend around $50 on a jersey, so say $20 or so more....But I usually only wear a jersey while road biking and generally use a little heavier duty tech type Tee while MTBing.

QUOTE]

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't always wear a backpack when MTBing so the one feature I'd like to see added to MTB jerseys is three pockets in the back, same as on road bike jerseys. That probably wouldn't work with an extremely loose, "baggy" fit but it should work on a fit between that and the tight fit of a roadie jersey. I really don't like paying to be a traveling advertising billboard for various companies so make mine with an interesting design in bright colors. "Made In USA" would make the jersey even more appealing to me but, unfortunately, price rules in today's economy. I would have no problem paying $60-75 for a jersey with the features I have described.

One other thing; I like 3/4-length sleeves for the protection, even during summer but that detail might not go over with the majority of MTBrs. Then again, it just might :D

PS: What Cackalacky did not mention in his original post is each of the first 20 people who respond with great ideas as we have receives a free jersey.

·
Trail Ninja
6,040 Posts
Moto style jerseys with raglan sleeves, but without the pajama prints are more my style. Royal Racing Stealth is my current favorite. I don't like zips (especially long ones that bunch up) and I don't use pouch pockets, since I use a hyd pack and have shorts with pockets.

This sounds like something for those who like T-shirt fit instead of moto jersey: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50359 short sleeve, simple, t-shirt fit, one zip pocket.

Or this cause it's still kind of chilly in parts of the US: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=58429 (long sleeve, no pockets).

·
Registered
70 Posts
In my opinion the logo jerseys are for race day and then I only wear a specific kit. Otherwise I prefer a jersey that isn't tight, has non-zip pockets. My rides tend to be 50-50 with hydration so those pockets are nice to have and without the zipper I don't even notice them when riding with a pack. Keep them simple though

·
That’s no moon.
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, great info...

Thanks for the info guys. For the most part right now we only offer standard club fit cycling styles (raglan and set-in sleeves) with rear pockets.

However, I do want to offer some sort of mtb specific jersey, mostly because I'm a mountain biker myself and that's what I like, as well. I've had some ideas floating around, and your comments are very helpful. We can make just about anything, it just takes a bit of time to work out the details.

As far as freebies, I can't offer that up, but can probably post a discount code when we get something produced and ready to order. I have no idea when that will be, hopefully sooner rather than later.

·
Two Tired
395 Posts
Here are a few more ideas to consider. I definitely like the pockets for small cameras, a gu pack or a pair of sleeves. I carry a pack but don't want to have take it off to access the camera and miss the moment. I hardly ever use the middle pocket because of the pack, so maybe it should be eliminated.

I like the longer zipper. I recently got a jersey with a full length zipper and I really like that feature. Easy on, easy off and quick cool down at the end of the ride without embarrassing everyone (well, mostly me) with my manly physique. This same physique suggests something on the looser side.

Colors and patterns are important. I am against having someone's logo all over me unless it is a product I really believe in (jerseys don't make the cut). I'm not on a team so team logos are out. I do ride in some groups, but having an identifying logo might cause problems anyway since this would draw attention and complaints. I have moved away from wild patterns in really bright colors but have not gone all the way to monochrome. Interesting patterns with good colors that reflect that I am neither 16 nor 76 years old would be good (no offense intended to those who are 16 or 76).

Finally, there are many times when it is a bit cool for a long sleeve jersey and too warm for a light jacket. It seems like having the body or maybe just the front in a wind blocking material while still having the arms and back covered by standard jersey materials would be a great solution that combines both a long sleeve jersey and a very light weight vest. With a zipper for ventilation when things warm up a bit this could be popular.

There is the price issue of course. Perhaps I am too frugal (cheap), but it can't be priced too high or I'm never going to try it. I suspect that most of your sales will be on the internet, so there is no way to know much about the fabric or fit so buyers will have to just take a chance. I am willing to take a chance, but a big risk just isn't worth it. I prefer things made in the US, but the 40% premium mentioned by some seems too high.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
cackalacky said:
Hey guys, I work for a cycling jersey company.

A lot of our stuff is full custom right now (i.e. one of a kind, submitted by or specifically created for each customer) but I'm hoping to add some stock jerseys up on our web store that would be ready-made. I'm trying to get an idea of what people would be looking for as far as design, price, etc.

Which would you prefer,
2. Your own team name, logo or other text added to the design,
3. "Team kit" style with corporate logos, maybe your bike brand or something?

Sorry if this is considered spam, PM or ignore me if you wish.
I want merino with custom graphics

·
Trail Ninja
6,040 Posts
Damn man, Merino is some premium stuff. What kind of fit and thickness are you talking about? I have some ones I found for $20 that are basically base layers that I really like. I'd imagine a jersey made of it would be close to $100 if not more.

I personally like to shop shirts that are [on sale for] $30 or less.

·
That’s no moon.
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
annamagpie said:
do you want suggestins for women's jerseys too,?
Absolutely. We have women's specific sizes and sell quite a bit of them.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'd like to see a half zippered design as well. I live in the desert and there are many times when I wish I had that extra ventilation. In terms of fit, it would be nice if it were a good medium between tight and loose fitting...not constrictive, but not loose and baggy either, ya feel me? And simple, interesting and unique designs are always desirable over logos, etc.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Varaxis said:
Damn man, Merino is some premium stuff. What kind of fit and thickness are you talking about? I have some ones I found for $20 that are basically base layers that I really like. I'd imagine a jersey made of it would be close to $100 if not more.

I personally like to shop shirts that are [on sale for] $30 or less.
Mid weight, semi fitted. Low to mid priced merino jerseys are ~$100. Custom would be much more, especially since I would prefer knitted in designed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
hey just thought i'd give my opinion as well, for the options listed i'd go with #1. my personal touch would be zip rear pockets as stated before with the 1/2 zipper and maybe the armpit mesh like on hockey jerseys? sorry if it sounds weird i'm fairly new to this stuff.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Like the t-shirt fit. Zippers are ok either way.

Less of: Logos and graphics that like race cars/bad acid trips.

More of: Solid color combinations or classic patterns (hounds-tooth/stripes).

·
max_29
265 Posts
+1 for wind blocking front.

also rear pockets, no logos, not too flashy colors, club fit, 1/2 or 3/4 zipper

what fabrics do you use for jerseys?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts