Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rider Found Dead
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I order a lot of stuff online, and I continue to be very impressed with JensonUSA. When you're ordering from Canada, things can get dicey quickly. Of all the companies I've dealt with, and I've dealt with all the biggies, JensonUSA is the best.

Some companies insist on sending by Purolator (which means an automatic $50 brokerage fee on the receiving end), even after they promise they will ship by US Post. Some companies refuse to send by US Post. Some charge outrageous shipping charges as soon as the shipment is going outside the US. Even if they charge a reasonable amount, and ship by US Post, you can't get insurance if it's going to Canada and you can't get a tracking number. JensonUSA shps by FedEx, they pay all the brokerage fees, the shipping charges are reasonable, and the shipment arrived in 3 business days, which is by far the quickest I have ever received a package from the US.

On top of that, they price matched everything that they weren't already the cheapest on, online no less, and everything came to me as ordered. If there's a complaint, it's that they tend to just shove stuff in the box without too much attention to packaging, but with the stuff I was getting, and when it goes FedEx, that isn't such a problem.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
yup

I've spent a whooooole lotta money with them over the years. No problems from them, and when I do have a problem with the product, they always hook me up. They even offered to pay to have a local shop service a fork instead of sending it back to them.

Great business to give your money to.

·
Rider Found Dead
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, they've been great on the CS side for me too ...

I bought a build kit from them a couple years ago, on which they price matched every single individual component. Then, after I had ordered an 80 mm fork, the salesguy said I would be way happier with the 100mm version, which was about $80 more, so he shipped me the 100mm version at the same price. On the wheelset, a pair of XT Disc/317s, he said that they had just got a whole bunch of them in, and so he could go below the lowest advertised price, which I was already happy to pay, so he knocked another $30 bucks off the wheelset without me even asking for it. I was amazed. That shipment also came by FedEx, all brokerage fees paid, in about 5 business days. Compare that to the 4-6 weeks that it normally takes stuff to arrive by US Post/Canada Post.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Cambria RULES!

Universal Cycles RULES!

Go-Ride.com RULES!

Richard's Bikes RULES!

·
No. Just No.
5,325 Posts
FedEx charges to Canada + other notes

I've ordered several times to Canada from Jenson and had the stuff shipped via FedEx. I'm not why everyone bags on the charges (maybe they're confusing with UPS, who are ruthless dogs on brokerage fees).

FedEx is a flat $7 brokerage/handling fee, regardless of value. You'll have to pay 7% GST, and provincial tax also (in B.C. no provincial tax on bike parts anyhow)

According to Canadian import rules, bike parts are exempt from duties. Note that duties are entirely different from brokerage fees and taxes, as described above. Complete bikes and complete built wheelsets are subject to a 13% duty according to the letter of the rules, although if you can prove or convince customs that every component of the bike/wheel was made inside a NAFTA country (Canada/USA/Mexico) then it is also exempt. More likely, if you show them a made in XXX sticker on the frame they won't go looking on each single component though.

USPS, handed off to Canada Post, is a flat $5 brokerage fee (as opposed to $7 with FedEx), with same taxes and duties. USPS to Canada Post is more likely to miss it completely and just ship through though with no taxes assessed, although they are picking it up more often nowadays.

Every shipment I've ever done from USA to Canada from Jenson (half dozen?) has been handled exactly in this manner.

Hope that provides clarification.

·
Rider Found Dead
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes ... and no ...

As Circlip says, they pay the brokerage fees, not the duties. Technically, there should be duty on Shimano parts, since they originate from Japan, but in all the orders I've ever placed for stuff from the states, I've never been assessed duty. You do need to pay the GST and PST, but often if the order is small they don't bother with it. If you can get the shipper to put a low value on the bill of lading, they'll calculate the taxes on that.

On my most recent order, which was $162 USD, I paid $26.75 USD shipping (including brokerage fees) and another $28 CDN in GST/PST when I picked it up.

The nice thing about FedEx, as opposed to US Post/Canada Post, is that it arrives way, way quicker (as in days versus weeks) and you get a tracking number that you can follow online, so you know exactly where it is all the time, as opposed to Postal, where you just pray every night for a few weeks until it hopefully shows up.

Whatever you do, avoid UPS, because they absolutely extort you on the brokerage fees. They are quick though. One curious thing is that Canada Post actually owns UPS in Canada, so if you order a box by Post, it often gets delivered by UPS, but without the $50 brokerage fee.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Purolator ??

Philber said:
I order a lot of stuff online, and I continue to be very impressed with JensonUSA. When you're ordering from Canada, things can get dicey quickly. Of all the companies I've dealt with, and I've dealt with all the biggies, JensonUSA is the best.

Some companies insist on sending by Purolator (which means an automatic $50 brokerage fee on the receiving end), even after they promise they will ship by US Post.

Isn't Purolator an oil filter?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Jenson was once selling Tomacs for $0.00

Jenson is a class act. I have never had a problem with them.

The only funny thing I heard about them is that someone in my group said they were selling Tomac frames a while back for $0.00. As a joke, he added a Tomac Six Shooter frame to the cart and ordered the frame and was invoiced for $0.00 for the frame and then whatever the shipping amount was. 3 days later a brand spanking new frame arrived for just the cost of shipping.

In the end, I think Jenson figured out their major ooooopsie and called and asked for the frame back. He sent it back, but I wonder what the consumer laws are about situations like that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've been very impressed with JensonUSA as well. I've been ordering from them since 1998. Always very professional, very fast service. I can't say the same for some other online stores.

·
Registered
227 Posts
what is to figure out?

dirtpaws said:
Jenson is a class act. I have never had a problem with them.

The only funny thing I heard about them is that someone in my group said they were selling Tomac frames a while back for $0.00. As a joke, he added a Tomac Six Shooter frame to the cart and ordered the frame and was invoiced for $0.00 for the frame and then whatever the shipping amount was. 3 days later a brand spanking new frame arrived for just the cost of shipping.

In the end, I think Jenson figured out their major ooooopsie and called and asked for the frame back. He sent it back, but I wonder what the consumer laws are about situations like that.
Your buddy tried to get something for nothing and that is not how it works in life. In this case he has no beef, in legal circles; it is called "unjust enrichment"

·
Registered
571 Posts
Philo Beddoe said:
In this case he has no beef, in legal circles; it is called "unjust enrichment"
"Unjust enrichment", that's going to be my phrase for the day. I am fascinated by legal schpegal terms and this one ranks up there.

Jimmy just got out of the big house and went to his mom to ask her for the 5 grand he had asked her to hold on to while he was locked up. She said she spent it on doilies for the sofa and TV. Jimmy replied,"Hey that was my money! You unjustly enriched at my expense when you bought those doilies. Now I have to break another parking meter and steal some money. Hopefully my parole officer won't catch me."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts