Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
There's a few specific parts tariff items that are useful with 0% tariff

87.14 Parts and accessories of vehicles of headings 87.11 to 87.13

8714.91.10 00 - - -Frame lugs, bottom bracket shells, forks, fork tubing sets, fork bearing assemblies, hydraulic shock absorbing cylinders, spring shock absorbers,
rear pivots, cable stops, cable guides and back, chain and seat stays

8714.92.00 00 - -Wheel rims and spokes

8714.93.00 00 - -Hubs, other than coaster braking hubs and hub brakes, and free-wheel
sprocket-wheels

8714.94.00 00 - -Brakes, including coaster braking hubs, and hub brakes, and parts
thereof

8714.95.00 00 - -Saddles

8714.96.00 00 - -Pedals and crank-gear, and parts thereof

The problem usually shows up when the shipper uses the phrase "Bicycle Goods" which typically end up with a tariff item with a 20% tariff, like

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Rocky - you got me excited with your reply, then stopped short.

In any event, looks like Jensen is incorrectly applying duty to a lot of bike components that they shouldn't be. Beware if purchasing from them.

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
1,538 Posts
I've opened a support ticket with Jenson to see if this extra 6% is intentional. If it is, then Jenson is pretty much dead to me as they are not very competitive on the pricing of most products as is without having 19% tacked on top of everything.

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Let me know how it goes. I opened a ticket almost 3 weeks ago, then got a response last week to the effect of "sorry for the delay, reply to this mail to let me know if you still need help and I'll act ASAP" - which I did last week - without further response.

·
1,538 Posts
Not off to a good start I'm afraid... feels like I got their standard scripted response.

Will have to try harder to get them to understand they may be in error applying 6% duty on all items.

-----------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Jenson USA. We collect taxes based on requirements for each region. We now collect duty and include with the total tax collection. We apologize for any inconvenience and please let us know if you have any other questions.

Keep Pedaling!
Spencer | Gear Advisor Coordinator

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
At least you got a "direct" reply. Best we can do is keep this thread going, keep it updated, and warn Canadians of unnecessary charges.

·
Registered
150 Posts
As a test, tried a Maxxis Minion DHF 29" OEM tire, price is $54.00, taxed at 19% for $10.26.

The legislation is not easy to decipher, but it appears as though Jenson may have an error - should be zero duty, assuming I'm understanding the .pdf correctly.
Duty is not sales tax/VAT.

But 19% is a rip-off - HST in Ontario is 13%, GST+PST in Quebec is 5%+9.975% = 14.975%

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
As a test, tried a Maxxis Minion DHF 29" OEM tire, price is $54.00, taxed at 19% for $10.26.

The legislation is not easy to decipher, but it appears as though Jenson may have an error - should be zero duty, assuming I'm understanding the .pdf correctly.

Duty is not sales tax/VAT.

But 19% is a rip-off - HST in Ontario is 13%, GST+PST in Quebec is 5%+9.975% = 14.975%
I think you may have misunderstood that post.

Jenson adds the duty into the "tax" field, so my test tire order shows as "taxed" at 19%. In my case, that means they've arbitrarily added 6% duty to all categories of parts.

·
1,538 Posts
Jenson did respond back to me with an explanation of what's going on.

The basic gist was that they are aware of the problem and admitted that their system is not currently setup to deal with our complicated Canadian import tax rules perfectly.

Having tried to interpret the 1598 page document published by CBSA I can certainly understand this.

They said they are working on new software that will calculate things correctly and they hope to have this implemented as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Jenson did respond back to me with an explanation of what's going on.

The basic gist was that they are aware of the problem and admitted that their system is not currently setup to deal with our complicated Canadian import tax rules perfectly.

Having tried to interpret the 1598 page document published by CBSA I can certainly understand this.

They said they are working on new software that will calculate things correctly and they hope to have this implemented as soon as possible.
I only have 1 thing to say. I used them ounce maybe a year ago, the price was great and superfast so i give them the benefit of the doubt. With the crazy orange idiot that adds tariffs than backs down(to look tough) it is hard to fallow the border situation. I am trying to order a great tire deal from chainreaction and i get errors from their website. We are just in some crazy bikes months.

·
1,538 Posts
Good question. I think they are remitting the money to the Canadian government due to the item(s) being classified incorrectly so it I don't think there is anything illegal going on. None the less I certainly won't be buying anything from them until they fix this.

By the way looks like they are charging 13% duty + tax on complete bikes, which I believe is correct but really makes buying a built up bike unattractive.

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
... I think they are remitting the money to the Canadian government due to the item(s) being classified incorrectly so it I don't think there is anything illegal going on...
I have no doubt they are remitting the funds, but it makes for an odd situation. The government will eventually find that they are not owed that money on most items, and return the funds to Jenson. Jenson should then reimburse the customer who was erroneously charged.

I don't know how long they've been incorrectly collecting duty, and we all know the government grinds slowly, but at some point Canadian customers should be expecting a refund from Jenson.

I won't be buying from them either (actually stopped when I first started this thread years ago), but for anyone who has recently purchased from them, I'd demand a refund of the 6%, assuming the items are indeed free from duty.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Good question. I think they are remitting the money to the Canadian government due to the item(s) being classified incorrectly so it I don't think there is anything illegal going on. None the less I certainly won't be buying anything from them until they fix this.

By the way looks like they are charging 13% duty + tax on complete bikes, which I believe is correct but really makes buying a built up bike unattractive.
It depends where the bike came from and what it costs too. its a stupidly covoluted system. If its a taiwan made bike (like most highish end bikes these days) I think the 13% is right.

In the old days, places like jenson pretty much evaded tax as a matter of principle. Err, gotta word that right, they helped YOU evade tax, not their own. They would write the wrong amount in the invoice, forget to add items, make the item $1 and shipping $500 etc.

Then we got nafta, then the gst, now hst, and now new nafta, and cooperation for collection. So now its THEM that gets in trouble if YOU dont pay the right amount of tax.

Hopefully they can fix this glitch and make sure the correct amounts are being added. They barely have a price advantage anymore on anything vs local, let alone the UK.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Jenson adds the duty into the "tax" field, so my test tire order shows as "taxed" at 19%. In my case, that means they've arbitrarily added 6% duty to all categories of parts.
I've got a couple tires in the cart as well, have checked several times over the past few weeks and still showing 19% in the Tax field.
In NB the HST charged is 15% so they're only adding 4% to the order, which makes no sense. Not sure how they've come up with the 19%.

Thanks for looking into it, hopefully they get back to you with a real answer, I'm surprised they haven't corrected it as I can't imagine too many Canadians ordering at that rate.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Checked in a few months later, and Jenson is still applying 19% tax rates.
Not only that but if you are putting in an order that doesn't qualify for free shipping to Canada, their shipping rates went from about $15 CAD to $36 American Dollars which is about $46 CAD.

Pretty much eliminates Jenson as an option unless you buy enough to get the free shipping. Good news for your LBS though.

I sent a message to customer service about this over a month ago and received no response although I am pretty sure that their response would be "due to Covid."

·
Registered
524 Posts
Checked in a few months later, and Jenson is still applying 19% tax rates.
I've checked back several times as well with the same results.
I made several inquiries but never got a response other than robo replies that didn't answer the question and actually made no sense.

It's only an extra 4% here in NB but I just can't bring myself to pay it without a legitimate reason, which they don't seem keen to provide.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I've checked back several times as well with the same results.
I made several inquiries but never got a response other than robo replies that didn't answer the question and actually made no sense.

It's only an extra 4% here in NB but I just can't bring myself to pay it without a legitimate reason, which they don't seem keen to provide.
It might not be related but i read someone complaining about way more entry level components on bikes this year. An answer was Trump talked about tarifs or applied some tarifs for a short while and the industry protected themselves and that created more expensives bikes in north america. Now with high demand finding a sale is not likely.

121 - 140 of 140 Posts