Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
FYI - It seems that Jenson is no longer shipping SRAM to Canada?
I just tried to order some new rotors and a shifter, no longer shipping to Canada message popped up.
same here for a cassette. It worked fine 2 weeks ago.

Damn

·
Registered
524 Posts
I’m still getting the restriction. Tried a couple different SRAM / Rock Shox products
I'm not sure what's going on with them, sent an email inquiry but haven't gotten a response. I checked this morning and it was showing the restriction message again. Tried again this afternoon and is not showing anymore.
My order shipped complete with two SRAM products, looks to be on it's way with no problems so far. Strange for sure.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I hope I'm wrong.. This is seems to be a change in Sram/RockShox policy - this follows what Fox has been doing for a number of years. Geo restricting what countries mail order houses are allow to ship - what product and to where.
This is to "protect" the regional distributors and LBS
You will start to find as well that via the web, certain websites will only display certain results depending upon where your located by determining the IP address of your computer. Ritchey Logic for example, I talked to them last week looking for small parts - all I wanted was the SKU so I could order and the website directs you to the local retailer - if you look at the US website all the info is there. (you need to have a US IP address to see it) Talking directly with their support people they provided me with the information I was looking for.
So in my case I always have issues with the LBS response to getting small parts - either 30$ for a 10$ part anywhere else or the part is "unavailable" and in some cases I have been directly told that it's not worth the effort - in the case of Hope brakes service parts.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
The shipping has to be expressly listed as "Duty Paid".

Otherwise, it's open season for the shipper to basically charge whatever they want.

I got a crash replacement on a rear rim directly from a US manufacturer last month. It was $200, and FedEx managed to add about $70 to their $65 shipping cost, in addition to the HST, using a bunch of fees that sounded like they made them up on the spot.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'm about to place a $450 order with Jenson to Canada but am curious about duties etc. I found a page that says duties are covered ahead of time and they ship with UPS but I can't actually find a link to that page within their site! Anyone know if this still holds true? https://www.jensonusa.com/our-culture/help-desk/international
I received a shipment with ~$200 worth of parts from Jenson just two weeks ago, delivered with UPS quickly, shipping was free and there were no extra fees. IIRC when checking out it specifically stated there would be no added duties or charges, and that was the case.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Jenson ships duty paid, you won't get hit with any added fees. I have ordered from them dozens of times over the years.

·
ACHOO
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I received a shipment with ~$200 worth of parts from Jenson just two weeks ago, delivered with UPS quickly, shipping was free and there were no extra fees. IIRC when checking out it specifically stated there would be no added duties or charges, and that was the case.
Thanks for confirming. I started this thread almost 4 years ago when Jenson moved to Ascendia for cost-cutting reasons.

I went from a frequent, decent-spending customer, to just 1 purchase over that timeframe.

Given they have reversed their decision, I may return more frequently.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I just ordered again last week and they are back to using UPS. My order arrived in 2 days from California with no added fees.

Shipping was also free as I bought more than $150 USD worth of stuff.

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
1,538 Posts
Jenson now charging duties on parts?

I was putting together an order with Jenson recently and was surprised to see that they were charging more than just the usual 13% taxes for orders bound for Ontario.

Based on trying a few different items in the cart, it looks like it is now 19% for bike parts and 26% for complete bicycles. I understand that complete bicycles always had a 13% tariff, but bike parts such as a derailleur used to be duty free so what's with the extra 6%?

I've spent some time searching to see if this is a result of the new US/Mexico/Canada trade agreement, but couldn't find anything. Anyone know the deal?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Depends on the bike part, where it was made, etc. Also new nafta rules so they may be more strict now where no one cared before.

CRC was also adding duties to the shoes I bought.

The only things i know for sure (from ordering direct from china) is that wheels have a duty, and whole bikes, but not frames.

You also I assume know you are getting double taxed here. Jenson is also paying US duties. That's one of the nice things about EU stores, they strip off their taxes when they export. Unfortunately unless merlin has it in stock, which is random, jenson is the next place to get shimano, and honestly, from my last purchase, my local toronto shop could match them.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I was putting together an order with Jenson recently and was surprised to see that they were charging more than just the usual 13% taxes for orders bound for Ontario.

Based on trying a few different items in the cart, it looks like it is now 19% for bike parts and 26% for complete bicycles. I understand that complete bicycles always had a 13% tariff, but bike parts such as a derailleur used to be duty free so what's with the extra 6%?

I've spent some time searching to see if this is a result of the new US/Mexico/Canada trade agreement, but couldn't find anything. Anyone know the deal?
Thanks for pointing this out. I tried a few different items as well, everything from tires to frame bags, looks like 19% on all of them.
Surly frames are 26% (ouch!), looks like I've been cured of online shopping for upgrades I don't really need! :)

I had some hubs in the shopping cart from CRC and looks like 19% on those as well.

·
Registered
634 Posts
how are you deriving this percent. theres obviously 13% hst. then theres likely a brokerage fee of $10-$20.

Only a handful of things should have an actual duty on top. shoes are 20% (on top of the above). Bikes are 6%. wheels are 6% i think as well. it can vary by country too. made in usa or england might not have a duty, vs china.

·
Registered
524 Posts
how are you deriving this percent. theres obviously 13% hst. then theres likely a brokerage fee of $10-$20.

Only a handful of things should have an actual duty on top. shoes are 20% (on top of the above). Bikes are 6%. wheels are 6% i think as well. it can vary by country too. made in usa or england might not have a duty, vs china.
There's no brokerage fee with Jenson and shipping is calculated seperately if you don't qualify for free.

Try some different items in you cart and look at the Tax line (duties included), it's 19% now for items that previously only had 13% HST.

I haven't found any info on recent duty changes but I've ordered from Jenson many times and haven't seen this before.

·
ACHOO
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Weird, but I'm seeing the same. Put a Shimano brake rotor in the cart, and tax is 19% which I've not seen before.

·
ACHOO
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Ah, found this on their site, re Canada:

"We charge duty on orders shipping to Canada and rate varies based upon the product ordered. The duty amount will be included with any GST/PST taxes in the Order Summary on the taxes line."

Question is if they are incorrectly applying duty rates. I'm having difficulty finding the details on "bicycle parts" - only whole bikes are shown in the docs I can find so far.

·
ACHOO
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #120 (Edited)
OK, sorry for all the posts, but I'm updating as I go. Found the 1500-page "Customs Tariff 2020" doc, which I think I read somewhere applies in July, so might explain any recent changes. (?)

Thankfully it is in .pdf and searchable! A lot of bike components are grouped separately:

ITEM GROUP (MFN Tariff)
tires (free)
rim tape (free)
inner tubes (free)
seat post clamps (free)
bike lights (5.5%)
whole bikes (13%)
bike wheels (6.5%)
excercise bikes (free)

A lot of weird groups, but couldn't find other groupings easily.

As a test, tried a Maxxis Minion DHF 29" OEM tire, price is $54.00, taxed at 19% for $10.26.

The legislation is not easy to decipher, but it appears as though Jenson may have an error - should be zero duty, assuming I'm understanding the .pdf correctly.

101 - 120 of 140 Posts