Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
You paid $117.74, for a chain? WTF is the world coming to?

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Different one.

In any event, point was that the pre-tax collection puts Jenson at a disadvantage, and when that's coupled with shipping times that are close enough to CR or other vendors, it makes it tough to buy there.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Different one.

In any event, point was that the pre-tax collection puts Jenson at a disadvantage, and when that's coupled with shipping times that are close enough to CR or other vendors, it makes it tough to buy there.
For that 1 item...maybe.

I have bought tons of stuff from Jenson i couldn't even get from CRC and their price match system is great.

I bought a Bluto fork they advertised for $600. Got it price matched for $475 against a site having a promo.

I still got free shipping and it arrived within 2 weeks with no additional charges other than 13% HST.

CRC didn't even offer the item at any cost

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #86

I have bought tons of stuff from Jenson i couldn't even get from CRC and their price match system is great.
There are many products that other vendors sell that aren't available from Jenson, and vice versa.

My price match request wasn't accepted, so not so great in my case. I believe they have a blanket policy to not match CRC, but I may be mistaken. (?)

I bought a Bluto fork they advertised for $600. Got it price matched for $475 against a site having a promo.
Arguably they should have price matched it for $420.35, depending on your risk aversion.

I still got free shipping and it arrived within 2 weeks with no additional charges other than 13% HST.

It used to be 2 or even next-day free shipping. For the amount I used to spend at Jenson, and your decent Bluto order, it is surely a step back to wait 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
There are many products that other vendors sell that aren't available from Jenson, and vice versa.

My price match request wasn't accepted, so not so great in my case. I believe they have a blanket policy to not match CRC, but I may be mistaken. (?)

Arguably they should have price matched it for $420.35, depending on your risk aversion.

It used to be 2 or even next-day free shipping. For the amount I used to spend at Jenson, and your decent Bluto order, it is surely a step back to wait 2 weeks.
not sure what you're talking about in regards to the price I paid. Jenson doesn't give you an additional 10% off the lowest competitor's price.

No they don't price match UK pricing.

The old UPS shipping used to be cheap, but I don't recall it being free. Others in this thread seem to agree.

The current slow service (Ascendia) is free, UPS is still an option but not free.

Anyway, from my experience, i buy Shimano stuff and most of my road bike stuff from the UK.

SRAM, clothing and MTB stuff mostly from the US (jenson & Nashbar)

Funny, i need some road parts and i checked the CRC website...they don't have a single SRAM or Shimano 10 speed road chain in stock.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
^crc stopped carrying sram maybe 6 months or a year ago. Or it's possible they carry it, but won't let north americans order it. Something like that, anyway.

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
1,538 Posts
^crc stopped carrying sram maybe 6 months or a year ago. Or it's possible they carry it, but won't let north americans order it. Something like that, anyway.
Correct, CRC still carries SRAM, but their website hides certain brands from you based on your ship to country.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Funny, i need some road parts and i checked the CRC website...they don't have a single SRAM or Shimano 10 speed road chain in stock.
Check again. They have a few 10-speed chains in stock. I just received an Ultegra 6701 10-speed chain from them yesterday.

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #91

not sure what you're talking about in regards to the price I paid. Jenson doesn't give you an additional 10% off the lowest competitor's price.

I meant that their pre-collection of tax is something you have to account for in the final price you pay. $420.35 + 13% HST is the same as $475 without taxes collected.

While I agree duties and brokerage fees are a crapshoot, my last several orders from European bike shops came via regular post, with nothing extra charged.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Check again. They have a few 10-speed chains in stock. I just received an Ultegra 6701 10-speed chain from them yesterday.
weird, when i search by "road/10 speed" chains it doesn't show up...but it does when i searched Ultegra.

Thanks!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Looks like Jenson has upgraded their free shipping to Canada, FedEx I believe.
Free shipping is quoted as only a day or two longer than paid, 5 days or so. I just placed an order so we shall see...

Edit: Fed Ex was mentioned in their shipping info for international shipping but package shipped with UPS.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Not sure that is the case. I paced and order using free shipping and it shipped with UPS I-parcel. That was November 9 and still waiting. Tracking info is virtually useless and speed is very slow. ETA when I ordered was about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Not sure that is the case. I paced and order using free shipping and it shipped with UPS I-parcel. That was November 9 and still waiting. Tracking info is virtually useless and speed is very slow. ETA when I ordered was about 2 weeks.
Last week when I looked it was still the old 2 to 3 week delay, yesterday it switched to the following; (see below)

I'll follow up when I see some tracking info next week. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
Interesting, please let us know how it goes, thx.
Ordered Saturday, shipped UPS for free on Monday, scheduled to arrive on Thursday.
From what I can see they're shipping all Canadian orders over $150 for free now with UPS, less than $150 it looks like they still are using UPS but with the shipping charge (I no longer see an option for free shipping on the smaller orders).
Looks like they may have heard all the complaints about the slow shipping. If it doesn't show up Thursday as scheduled I'll report back but so far the tracking is right on schedule.

·
Registered
524 Posts
FYI - It seems that Jenson is no longer shipping SRAM to Canada?
I just tried to order some new rotors and a shifter, no longer shipping to Canada message popped up.

·
Registered
623 Posts
FYI - It seems that Jenson is no longer shipping SRAM to Canada?
I just tried to order some new rotors and a shifter, no longer shipping to Canada message popped up.
Didn't knew about that but had good luck recently with canadabicycleparts.com with a complete Gx drivetrain. They are based in Mtl, their prices are fair and shipping was fast...

81 - 100 of 140 Posts